Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masonry Paint and a Spray Gun?

Options
  • 30-03-2009 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Had a rush of blood to the head yesterday and decided I'd had enough looking at the back wall of my house which is just bare blocks about 3M high. We planted some virginia creepers last year which will take the bare look of it once they have eventually grow to full size but that will take years and in winter you will still see the bare concrete look of the wall which annoys me.

Hopped out of bed full of beans yesterday so decided to paint it white which I thought would give the creepers a good contrast backdrop and headed up to Woodies. Bought 20L of their brilliant white masonry paint and a masonry roller thinking I'd have the job done in 3-4 hours. Man was I wrong. Spent 8 hours at it and got it covered with one coat but I now think it looks worse than when I started. Becuase the blocks are so porus and full of holes and because of the recessed cement around each block the roller hasn't done a great job and to try to fill in the 'gaps' with a brush is just going to take forever.

My next bright idea is to get a spray gun which will hopefully spray into the little holes and gaps around each block but before I do that I thought I'd better consult the experts here for your opinion. Is going over it again with a spray gun a good idea? What spec spray gun do I need and where can I get one, preferably for hire, in south Dublin? ALDI are selling thees yokes on Thursday but they seem a little too lite for the job http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/58_8661.htm?WT.mc_id=2009-03-30-11-29

Also, now that it's on I really don't like the brilliant white as it seems to be a lot colder than the white used on the shed and another side wall. Would there be any harm using a different (hopefully warmer) white from another manufacturer over the Woodies brilliant white and assuming it's OK to do that what manufactutrer and/or colour would people recommend?

As you can see I'm in need of a serious advice here and way over my head even doing a simple job like this!!!

Regards,

Ben

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Use a brush for the joints and do another coat or two with the roller. A spray gun will give you white concrete at the foot of the wall. With practice, it is possible to just use the very edge of a roller to do most of the mortar joints.

For really big painting jobs - which this isn't really - get one of these:

http://www.earlex.co.uk/html/cps_html/pr9.htm

They are fabulous. Dulux have something similar called the paint pod but I have never used one. Probably better again if it doesn't lock you in to their paints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Framer62

You could use your garden sprayer for this, the one you wear on your back and pump up the pressure and then spray, use a thinnish solution and have a roller in your hand. Been using one for years(commercially) for rough open painting like this. As long as you use the roller to finish off it will work brilliantly and get into all the nooks and crannies. Trust me. Simply wash out the unit when you are finished. Job's a good un!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭branners69

Sorry to hijack but whats the best masonry paint to get?

Woodies do their own but am wondering should I splash out for the Weathershield or another brand?

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭builditwell

Use a wide long haired brush one of good quality and work the blocks one at a time. Paint it quite liberally but dont overload the brush. Woodies paint is just muck. It will never do the job even in 3 coats. Steer clear even though the price is great.

As for best paint, Sandtex, Dulux weather shield or Johnstones in that order.

B

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Hi All,

Thanks for the tips.

Builditwell - Thanks for the info, particularly about Woodies paint. Will bring back the 2nd 10L bucket tomorrow and swap for Sandtex. Hopefully that will make the 2nd coat easier to apply and improve the colour of the end result. Do you think the Sandtex "White" is a warmer white than the Woodies "muck"?

I know your preference is for using a good quality brush over a spray gun but the wall is huge and I reckon it would take me 3-4 days to go over it block by block. Would Framer62's idea of using a standard garden sprayer not do the trick in your opinion? What about this little thing? http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/58_8661.htm any good or a waste of time and money?

Framer62 - Are you talking about the type of manual sprayer people use for spraying weedkiller? 5L tank on your back, manual pump lever in one hand and spray nozel in the other? Would I have to dilute the paint much? By 25%, 50%?

cnocbui - I'm more interested in getting a spray gun than an alternative roller as the blocks are so porus and the mortar grooves so deep that no roller will ever fill them, I need to spray straigh into the holes and grooves.

Regards,

Ben

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

As for best paint, Sandtex, Dulux weather shield or Johnstones in that order.

B

Jaysus...Got a terrible shudder there, Johnstones!!!! No way in my opinion..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Framer62

Yes thats the yoke I am talking about, I know several painters who use them, saves lugging spray equipment around. Remember that you are using it to spray smallish areas first and laying off with a roller or brush. Pump handle in one hand and roller in the other and you'll soon cover a large area. Its ideal for rough walls. Thin the paint (good quality) down to the consistency of thickish pouring cream....if the nozzle is blocking, thin down a little more. Always underthin, thin it in stages, as me da used say, 'don't drown the miller'. Adjust the nozzle (if you can) so that it is strong enough to get into the crevices.
    Builditwell's paint choices are spot on.
    That Aldi spray gun will break your heart. Don't buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

I've been painting the inside of a shed the past few days (doing in in sections) I know what you mean with all the little holes, can be a tad tedious, but just takes some patience. The best method I found was to put a fair bit of pressure on the roller and really 'squeeze' the paint into the holes, obviously not so much pressure that it kills you, but enough to make the paint go in. I'd get the most of it done with the one coat, then get what was left with the second. I wasnt sparing the paint either to be honest! :p

I didnt bother with a pole on the roller as I found I couldnt get enough pressure on it to get the paint into the holes.

The corners, base and top of the wall then I'd cut in with a brush.

Thanks again,

Framer62 - Sounds like you know your stuff so I'll pop into Woodies, return their "muck" get some sandtex, a better quality brush and a good garden sprayer and do as you say. What do you recommend thinning the paint with, straightforward white spirits?

CroppyBoy1798 - The problem I have is the bloody wall is about 5m high so with the extended roller I can just about reach the top on my tippy toes and I'm 6ft 1" tall!! I can't get any pressure that high up and have to climb to the very top of a ladder to do the job which with a roller just doesn't work. Sounds like the sprayer and a good brush are the only options.

Ah well, didn't have many plans for next weekend either :mad:

Regards,

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭Juwwi

BenEadir wrote: »
    What do you recommend thinning the paint with, straightforward white spirits?

Ben

sandtex masonary paint is water based so thin with water.

how did u get the paint off your hands from the first coat?

• Advertisement

Robbie1977, you've exposed my complete lack of even basic knowledge when it comes to DIY!! Thanks :rolleyes:

I returned the Woddies 'muck' and purchased the Sandtex brilliant white along with a 12L back carried garden sprayer which I'll put 2-3 litres of (water) diluted paint into at a time this weekend and get spraying. It can't be worse than the way it currently looks.

Thanks all for rescuing me!!

Ben

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 dooardbhoy

Can I ask your advice please. I have pebbledash wall and was thinking of using a 5litre sprayer(weedkiller type as you suggested and weathershield paint. Would you advise this and what would you use to thin, water? and what ratio for the 5 litre sprayer?
    Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

mad m wrote: »
    Jaysus...Got a terrible shudder there, Johnstones!!!! No way in my opinion..

I used be of the exact same opinion about 4-5 yrs back, but a guy I work with has turned me back around to Johnstones recently. They have definitely improved their ingredients, particularly in their oils, which offer much better coverage and less runs/gathers (their gloss used to be a scourge for this).
    Their new duramatt product performed equally along side "Littles on the Greene" ultimatt (both washable matts) but was over 30% cheaper.

As for sandtex? Some bad experiences over the years...not my first choice for exteriors...

[edit] as for the OP's question? Spray all the way but tbh you're not going to get far with one of those cheap electric bottle sprayers. Since it's such a small job, a good 12" roller with 1" nap, some thinned down (quality brand!) masonry paint and some hard graft is going to offer you the best solution I reckon...

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Seamu$

Can anyone recommend a good spray gun? The Earlex mentioned earlier is a roller rather than a spray gun. I presume the Lidl & Aldi machines are best avoided.

Depends what you want to do with it, how often, and on how much you want to spend. Earlex do some good sprayers for small jobs, but if it's for outside or doing large areas/emulsion work then something by graco or wagner of the airless type is what you're after...fairly big money though.

Thanks Wertz. I want to do a decent bit of outdoor work this summer, paint the exterior walls of an 1,800sq ft bungalow, some sheds, the roadside wall and some 6ft wooden garden fencing boards.
    Also, we intend building a new house within the next 2 years so I want to get something that I could do the first coat with, plus paint garage etc.

Not intending on spending big money however on a semi-pro kit, just a good gun that will spray most paints, varnishes, fence paint etc. Would something around the €100 mark get me something decent & reliable? Is Earlex the best brand for DIYers?

Thanks for your advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

Hi Seamus,

I hired an airless sprayer there in port laois recently.
    Cost 100 euro for the day
    BUT
    i sprayed the entire outside wall of a 1700sq ft bungalow twice with weathershield and also a 20 ft x 4ft wall and the front of a large shed out the back.

All comfortably done within the day.

I would say this is a better way as you have a good professional sprayer to work with and can get a lot done quickly, the hopper took about 15 litres of mix at a time so not refilling to often.

As was said have a roller to go over any flat plaster areas as you won't be good with the gun first time out!!!!

Best of luck to ya lad! And mind that overspray now:eek:

Really earlex only do what are called HVLP systems that use a bottle feed and an air pump. I suppose their largest model fitted with a 4lt tank would do for what you need it for...
    http://www.earlex.co.uk/html/hvlp_html/hv3900.htm
    Not sure how much that one is, I have the semi pro version for doing doors and stuff, cost me about £180, so it's probably less than that.
    It's still going to be tough going with that system, long extension leads, frequent refilling, might be difficult to use at heights...I don't use emulsion through mine but I'm sure it's fine once thinned a bit.
    The airless sprayer is what you want tbh but a days rental for one would probably buy you the earlex.

Thanks lads, will rent one and see how we go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 powerslot

Try here for the paint gun, you just pop the lid off your paint (add a small amount of water if you like) put the suction section of this machine into the pot and off you go,. Perfect for pebble dashing flat walls etc.

Make sure the day is not breezy as small speckles of pait will travel. Take cars out of the driveway if you are doing the front of a house

http://www.azhire.ie/equipment.hire.products.dublin.ireland.php?sectionnumber=103&number=154

Too easy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Graaaaa

I recently painted my pebbledash external walls, 18' wide x 24' deep x 2 storey end-of terrace. Took a day with an airless sprayer from HSS hire for just over 100 for the day. Plus 20 for hire of a ladder. there are slightly cheaper deals from other hire shops, but they've always treated me well on delivery, flexibility and not charging extra days on weekends etc.
    Had been thinking of using the weathershield sprayable paint and their spray-gun, but with the coverage rates they gave on the tin it worked out about 50% more expensive than their normal masonry paint by volume required. also didn't want to be locked-in to the product in case I found it rubbish.
    I finally found Brooks own branded brilliant white, 20% cheaper than the main brands in the big hardware superstores with mostly clueless staff - you know the ones.
    In total, 7x10L tins and the equip hire came in at less than 400.
    Going rates on junk mail for spraying a 3 bed house is 1200 - thus a saving of 800 euro.
    Brooks paint also comes in magnolia and possible 2 other dark shades - i.e. not a great colour selection but perfect for what I wanted.
    A note on airless sprays, as other posters have also said - a fine mist WILL travel everywhere - be prepared to get a wide chisel to the window glass and definitely mask everywhere you can. The car was put out on the road, about 25ft away and it still got speckled, but a trip to the car wash sorted that out. The backs of the downpipes shared with the neighbours are another storey -another day on the ladder with black paint is in the planning!

Advertisement