Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Canon Lens for Safari Photos

• 30-03-2009 12:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm trying to figure out if I'm going to need to get myself a new lens for a Safari that is planned later this year.

Currently I have the Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 USM IS on a 40D so I think the reach is going to be OK but am I going to get enough light in to avoid shake given most pictures will probably be from a moving vehicle? Also I'd like to think I will get some opportunity to do nice bokeh shots of the wildlife which probably wouldn't happen too well with what I have.

There's no way I'm going to afford the Canon 2.8F 300mm but I could go for the "Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L USM MK2" or "Canon EF 70-200mm f2.8L Lens" or at a push the "Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8 L USM Image Stabiliser" if it was going to really help beyond what I could do at F5.6 with the 300mm end of the current lens. Would these 200mm F2.8 lenses give nice bokeh at long range or am I kidding myself on this?

Any help with figuring this out would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks,

John

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭City-Exile

Even at f/5.6 you could still do fine on the vast, open plains.
    Any pictures I've seen from Safari have been taken in the day, so there's plenty light. You'd have a high shutter speed, so camera shake should be down to how steady you are. The vehicles tend to stop for photo opps too.

The only other real option would be to use a f/2.8 lens, which you've already ruled out.
    Make sure you take care of your gear in the dust and heat.

Edit* Misread your post.
    The 70-200 f/2.8 would be great.
    I don't know if the IS is worth the extra money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Gambler

When I was on safari the vehicles generally got fairly close and stopped for photo ops so don't worry about trying to take pictures while the car is moving, that shouldn't be an issue.

However a lot of the activity was around pre-dawn and dusk time. This isn't too bad if you are fairly steady but if you can get an f2.8 lens then I think you'll find everything MUCH easier, I wish I had mine then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭jackdaw

Hi all,

I'm trying to figure out if I'm going to need to get myself a new lens for a Safari that is planned later this year.

Currently I have the Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 USM IS on a 40D so I think the reach is going to be OK but am I going to get enough light in to avoid shake given most pictures will probably be from a moving vehicle? Also I'd like to think I will get some opportunity to do nice bokeh shots of the wildlife which probably wouldn't happen too well with what I have.

There's no way I'm going to afford the Canon 2.8F 300mm but I could go for the "Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L USM MK2" or "Canon EF 70-200mm f2.8L Lens" or at a push the "Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8 L USM Image Stabiliser" if it was going to really help beyond what I could do at F5.6 with the 300mm end of the current lens. Would these 200mm F2.8 lenses give nice bokeh at long range or am I kidding myself on this?

Any help with figuring this out would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks,

John

As far as bokeh is concerned , remember f5.6 at 300mm will give good bokeh ... the bokeh effect doesn't need as wide an aperture at long focal lengths.

Light shouldn't be a problem either ...

Maybe get a 200mm f2.8 + a 1.4x .... that will give 280mm f4 ??

or .. if i was going on saFARI i would get the 100-400 f5.6 L IS ...

400mm at f5.6 would be great bokeh ... + its L class...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

jackdaw wrote: »
    or .. if i was going on saFARI i would get the 100-400 f5.6 L IS

Agree. The 100-400 would be the ideal safari lens. Great quality lens. Maybe a bit slow for sports but Leinsterman was raving about it when he came back from Africa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭thesunwashot

Thanks for the advice. Looks like I could make do with what I have although the F2.8 may well add something extra.

Is the 70-200mm very unwieldy? Is it a lens you would bring around with you or only when you had a specific purpose in mind?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Gambler

I've got the Sigma 70-200 2.8. It's not as big as I thought it was going to be when I ordered it. Have you got a proper camera bag of some sort? If most lenses of this size come with their own "Carry around" bag anyway and you won't need to be walking around with it on safari.

Where abouts are you based? Maybe someone in your area can give you a look at one 1st hand?

Advertisement