Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dyslexic teenager ?

Options
  • 30-03-2009 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭

Hi there,
    Just wondering if any of you have had a teenager whom you suspect of being dyslexic or has been diagnosed dyslexic late as a teenager (15).
    He is just being tested this week in school and then it will be decided if he will need further testing by NEPS.
    Starting to get a bit worried especially hearing all this talk about the cut backs affecting the learning resources a school has for kids with learning problems.
    Any ideas ye have that could help us to implement at home would be very much appreciated!!!:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Getting him assessed is the starting point as then allowances will be made such as extra time on exams which can make a big difference. Depending on how dyslexic he is there will be a range of possible measures. So one step at a time and thankfully he will have this out in the open before he ends up struggling with his leaving cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Getting him assed is the starting point as then allowances will be made such as extra time on exams which can make a big difference. Depending on how dyslexic he is there will be a range of possible measures. So one step at a time and thankfully he will have this out in the open before he ends up struggling with his leaving cert.

Oh my god, when I started to read your post I misread assed and thought you meant "arsed" as in interested. Nearly spat my coffee over the laptop!!!!
    That is part of my problem,funnily enough. He's at that age where he isn't really interested in school work especially as he is in 2nd year and has no main exams this year.
    I'm in a catch 22 situation. I don't want to be going off on him if there is an underlying problem but at the same time I don't want to be letting him off lightly if there isn't a problem.....
    Looking forward to a definitive answer so that I can either hug him or begin to brain him!!!!!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Sorry about that, I do have dyslexia myself and sometimes it flares up :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

What year is he in?Does he need a spelling and grammar exemption?

What year is he in?Does he need a spelling and grammar exemption?

He is in 2nd year. His main problems are his spelling. He spells a lot of things phonetically. He would have at least 3 - 4 spelling mistakes on each line of writing. He sometimes has trouble reading back his own handwriting not because of the content but rather it's appearance. He reads very slowly and there is no fluidity to his reading. It is very slow, deliberate and does not flow well at all. He is 15 and both his 10 and 12 year old siblings spell and read better!!!
    Don't know yet if he needs any exemptions as he hasn't had any assesment, should be having a preliminary assesment by the end of the week.
    I spent nearly half an hour looking for one his teachers at a parent teacher meeting as I was looking for some foreign teacher as he had written his name down as Mr. Qzack. Only when I actually said the name aloud when asking another teacher where this person was did I realise I was actually looking for a Mr. Cusack. He had spelt the name phonetically!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

If he is diagnosed with dyslexia, the school itself can grant the spelling and grammar exemption for jnr cert, he would then need an up to date report for leaving cert. Dyslexia often runs in families. It's odd that this was not picked up in primary, he must have good coping strategies.

If he is diagnosed with dyslexia, the school itself can grant the spelling and grammar exemption for jnr cert, he would then need an up to date report for leaving cert. Dyslexia often runs in families. It's odd that this was not picked up in primary, he must have good coping strategies.

He is my first child so I think I didn't notice in the beginning. He was kept back in Senior infants as he was falling behind everyone else in the class. I remember I queried the possibility with a teacher when he was about 8 or 9 but they told me that they didn't think so. Sorry now that I didn't push the issue more
    His uncle (my brother) was diagnosed rather late with dyslexia at the age of 12.
    My youngest son (7) has recently been diagnosed as being hypotonic (weak muscle tone) and dyspraxia. I know that dyspraxia can sometimes occur alongside dyslexia but the youngest lad has at least 3 years on a waiting list before being seen by Enable Ireland....Again, I had spoke to the doctor about his floppiness when he was about 10 mths old but was told he was fine....
    It's true what they say about a mothers instinct, we shouldn't ignore it:(

Advertisement