Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replace Netopia with WiFi Router w/Print Server

Options
  • 30-03-2009 1:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi all,

My parents got a new laptop for Christmas, and they are fond of using Skype to speak to their grandchild. However, the wireless signal isn't great, and Skype calls keep dropping.

Also, my mother cant print from the laptop (wireless connection to router). I had a go at networking the 2 machines but Vista got the better of me. So, when I go to replace the router I was going to get one with a print server.

Can anyone recommend a good Netopia (Eircom) replacement with a print server? I may also go with a PCMCIA card of the same vendor to maximise signal reception.

I would consider scrapping the print server part of the router, but i have a feelign a router with a print server will call for less tech support (from moi) than 2 machines shared over a LAN with one hosting the printer. Dunno why, just a feeling I have.

Anyone got any good configs at home that they can recommend?

Or any tried and trusted devices to go for?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭ISOT

hijaQr wrote: »
    Hi all,

My parents got a new laptop for Christmas, and they are fond of using Skype to speak to their grandchild. However, the wireless signal isn't great, and Skype calls keep dropping.

Also, my mother cant print from the laptop (wireless connection to router). I had a go at networking the 2 machines but Vista got the better of me. So, when I go to replace the router I was going to get one with a print server.

Can anyone recommend a good Netopia (Eircom) replacement with a print server? I may also go with a PCMCIA card of the same vendor to maximise signal reception.

I would consider scrapping the print server part of the router, but i have a feelign a router with a print server will call for less tech support (from moi) than 2 machines shared over a LAN with one hosting the printer. Dunno why, just a feeling I have.

Anyone got any good configs at home that they can recommend?

Or any tried and trusted devices to go for?

Maybe not much help but personally I would stay away from wireless print servers.
    I tried to achieve exactly what you were trying to do and purchased a belkin wireless print server to run alongside my linksys WAG200g router.
    i got it working alright (printing from a netbook to my samsung printer in the bedroom) but it was a diasaster. If i switched off anything at all , netbook or print server it lost all the settings and sometimes i would need to reinstall from scratch.
    I had the two machines networked with a shared printer a few years ago and it was rock solid stable. All my machines are windows xp.
    I would be inclined to give the networking (in Vista) another go if you have the paitence :(
    luckly i bought it locally and was able to return it. There was probably nothing wrong with it in itself, I just think that it was a crap setup.
    hope some one comes along and tells a solution that works.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭johnciall

is a printer with a standard print server an option, That wa you could have it cabled to the router and not have to worry about it's wireless signal

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭ISOT

johnciall wrote: »
    is a printer with a standard print server an option, That wa you could have it cabled to the router and not have to worry about it's wireless signal

dont think that you could communicate with a standard printserver wirelessly as the OP requires. Would be fine if all pc's were wired to the router.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭johnciall

ISOT wrote: »
    dont think that you could communicate with a standard printserver wirelessly as the OP requires. Would be fine if all pc's were wired to the router.

if you've got a printer wired to the router then it wouldn't make a difference if the Printer was connect tot he Router by RJ4 or one of the networked PC's Via USB & shared

Advertisement