Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

The 70 Million Project

• 30-03-2009 1:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭

I was just looking this up on the internet today, apparently there is this thing called the 70 Million project and what it does is, it get people with Irish heritage in their veins to connect up with others around the world. I guess it's because there is an estimate of 70 million Irish people or at least people with irish in them in the world, don't quote me on that. Anyway I was reading the comments left on the site, and someone claimed that people who live in Ireland, don't see people who live in other countries like America who have an Irish backround as being real Irish. So it got me thinking. If an American ever came up to you and said his grandparents were Irish, would you see him as being Irish despite never lived or been to Ireland?

I have to admit, I never really think of things like that. I always believed unless you were Irish yourself, and not just from your grandparents, you weren't truly Irish. But hey I guess if people are really that serious about it, maybe we should accept them as being Irish. Anyway what do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Riddle101 wrote: »
    there is an estimate of 70 million Irish people or at least people with irish in them in the world, don't quote me on that.

Ok

I like the plastic paddies. It would be a lot worse if everyone hated us tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭Mr.Lizard

I think if they're so fond of claiming they're Irish then they should donate 1% of their income for life to Irelands Dept of Finance in order to prove it. Talk is cheap.

That'll sort out the men from the boyo's!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

http://www.seventymillion.org/

Apparently there's a 60 year old male living on Rockall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

When someone tells me they're 1/8 irish i say " which part, your arse?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

I'd start being much nicer to the 'plastic paddies' as their tourism dollars are going to be one of the very few 'investments' left in this country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

36,495,800 Irish-American in the US in 06. about 6 million here.Where the hell are the other 28,000,000??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

mike65 wrote: »
    http://www.seventymillion.org/

Apparently there's a 60 year old male living on Rockall.
    He's keeping watch for us in case the Brits or the Danes decide to come back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Soby wrote: »
    36,495,800 Irish-American in the US in 06. about 6 million here.Where the hell are the other 28,000,000??
    Britain, Canada, Australia, Korea, China, The islands of the Carribean, Spain, France, Outer Mongolia, Inner Mongolia and many more countries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

This whole 70 Million project > I just dont get it . . .

So lets say there are x million people in the States with an Irish ancestor, does that mean that they all qualify for the project? bearing in mind that they will also have many Scottish, Danish, English, German, French ancestors too!

Why is it the the Irish ancestor that's always so special?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭Mr.Lizard

Camelot wrote: »

Because most other nationalities have the intelligence to know nobody cares and the good manners to keep it to themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Riddle101 wrote: »
    I was just looking this up on the internet today, apparently there is this thing called the 70 Million project and what it does is, it get people with Irish heritage in their veins to connect up with others around the world. I guess it's because there is an estimate of 70 million Irish people or at least people with irish in them in the world, don't quote me on that. Anyway I was reading the comments left on the site, and someone claimed that people who live in Ireland, don't see people who live in other countries like America who have an Irish backround as being real Irish. So it got me thinking. If an American ever came up to you and said his grandparents were Irish, would you see him as being Irish despite never lived or been to Ireland?

I have to admit, I never really think of things like that. I always believed unless you were Irish yourself, and not just from your grandparents, you weren't truly Irish. But hey I guess if people are really that serious about it, maybe we should accept them as being Irish. Anyway what do you think?

If they are entitled to an irish passport then they are Irish otherwise they are not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭Riddle101

This whole 70 Million project > I just dont get it . . .

So lets say there are x million people in the States with an Irish ancestor, does that mean that they all qualify for the project? bearing in mind that they will also have many Scottish, Danish, English, German, French ancestors too!

Proberly because Irish people are renowned for their taveller like ways, i.e emigrating all over the world to the far reaches of the neatherrealm. can't say any other culture has emigrated more then the Irish, Also because Irish people have a strong connection with people. Unlike those French guys who like to act like their farts don't smell.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

these guys will help us when we go to fight the welsh, wont they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

also have many Scottish, Danish, English, German, French ancestors too![/I]

Because being Irish is generally considered as cool. Or maybe versus many other nationalities , we don't have a dark past or something.
    Terry wrote: »
    Korea, China, The islands of the Carribean, Outer Mongolia, Inner Mongolia and many more countries.

Didnt know that now!

Advertisement