Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liveline NOW!

• 30-03-2009 1:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

www.rte.ie/radio1

Some woman has decided Ireland needs Ireland and has started a direct campaign to Stephen Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Jesus Christ :rolleyes:

this is getting really embarrassing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

FFS, here's the first oul biddy :rolleyes:

I'll hang up my shamrock if he's let near the squad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

Oh sweet jesus. :rolleyes: She's begging him to come back.Pathetic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Well she is right, we do need him but we need him to want to play

• Advertisement

"On behalf of all Irish supporters..."

Who the fuck does she think she is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Xavi6 wrote: »
    FFS, here's the first oul biddy :rolleyes:
    At least an oul biddy is doing something about it. I cant honestly believe that Trap and his men have broken their back to get him back in the squad. Ok, Ireland may not solve all our problems but at least he knows how to throw a few passes together. Id have him back in a flash....even if he is a wa*ker

LowOdour wrote: »
    At least an oul biddy is doing something about it. I cant honestly believe that Trap and his men have broken their back to get him back in the squad. Ok, Ireland may not solve all our problems but at least he knows how to throw a few passes together. Id have him back in a flash....even if he is a wa*ker

why the F*ck should anyone break their back to get him back

this is putting on the green jersey for your country to get the country to a world cup and he would prefer to prance around in england

he should be banned from the squad indefinitely

Yeah bribing him with money for a charity. That in itself is disgusting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

What a farce that was.

• Advertisement

The whole thing was an embarrassment, both sides of the argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

ntlbell wrote: »

he should be banned from the squad indefinitely

Or at least until he decides he wants to come back ....

As much as I think Ireland is great, he's not the be all and end all, certainly not the solution to all of the team's problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

seems Joe isn't a fan of Trap as he's a fordidner and speaks funny :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭PCros

Hes a traitor, he should beg to get back anywhere near Irish squad.
    Hes always been a trouble maker even since Kerr wouldnt field him, he wanted to go on just because his family was watching....grow the fuk up.

Me thinks hes not all there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Dang really wish I could have listened to that in work. I thought only Roy Keane was big enough to get some Joe Duffy air time.

PCros wrote: »
    Hes always been a trouble maker even since Kerr wouldnt field him, he wanted to go on just because his family was watching....grow the fuk up.

Bollox.

Kerr told him was playing so he got his family to all go along. Then Kerr named him on the bench and didn't bring him on.

I'd be a bit pissed off too.
    Also he cant be allowed near the national team with a car like that......
    http://cdn.faniq.com/images/blog/Stephen%20Ireland%20Range%20Rover.jpg

1. The car wasn't his. It was his missus'.

2. He doesn't own it anymore.

3. It's a car. Get over it.

Know him personally do you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Im tempted to say that Stephen Ireland is just taking our nations interest in English football to its logical extreme. But that would just be crass. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Someone actually said that Andy Reid was one of the best players in the Premiership

Bollox.

Kerr told him was playing so he got his family to all go along. Then Kerr named him on the bench and didn't bring him on.

It was a game in his home town of course they would show up regardless he doesnt have to ask his manager can he play....real professionalism there.

Also to have an opinion about someone doesnt mean you have to know them, cop on.

Quint wrote: »
    Someone actually said that Andy Reid was one of the best players in the Premiership

I don't think we were dealing with the cream of the crop of the irish football fanbase tbh....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Also he cant be allowed near the national team with a car like that......
    http://cdn.faniq.com/images/blog/Stephen%20Ireland%20Range%20Rover.jpg

One of the main reasons I came into this thread was to see how long it would take for someone with no idea of what happened to post this picture.

Congrats, you haven't disappointed me.

I'd take Ireland back in a second. However that cringewrothy canvassing is not the way to go about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

Well the question is

Does Ireland need Ireland more than Ireland needs Ireland ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Quint wrote: »

LOL :D Obviously he's not, but he would make an excellent player for any lower mid-table Premiership team, which is more than can be said for Whelan and Andrews.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,669 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Yes I want him to come back and every now and again we hear through various 3rd parties that he's not coming back just yet.

I'd like to hear whats happening from the horses mouth, Stephen Ireland just tell us once and for all if you want to play or not, don't use a mouth piece tell us yourself and after that a line will be drawn.

Well the question is

Does Ireland need Ireland more than Ireland needs Ireland ?

Thats confusing:D

Logically, yes we need him.

It was a game in his home town of course they would show up regardless he doesnt have to ask his manager can he play....real professionalism there.

He was about 16, a kid, at the time FFS!
    Also to have an opinion about someone doesnt mean you have to know them, cop on.

So what is your opinion based on? Articles in The Sun and like where you probably got that pic of the car from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

He may be a traitor but lets be honest we dont have much else creativity in the central of our midfield.

He has been playing excellent football most of the season and has in my opinion matured a lot from last year. He can give an extra dimension to our game theres no doubt about that. Im not sure where he would fit in with trap wanting to keep the two holding midfielders.

He simply wants an organised team and giving Ireland a free role in midfield wouldnt be in his plans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

mike65 wrote: »

Some woman has decided Ireland needs Ireland and has started a direct campaign to Stephen Ireland

A license should be required to support the national team tbh.

He was about 16, a kid, at the time FFS!

So what is your opinion based on? Articles in The Sun and like where you probably got that pic of the car from?

He was 18 and my opinion is based on all forms of media, whether it be the tv, internet or papers....and come on I dont read the Sun! Yes he is a good player but he seems to have a chip on his shoulder or something.

You seem to like him and I dont ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Man people who use phrases like "traitor" and "banned for life" on this issue would seriously want to get a grip.

You'd swear he was breaking into people's houses at night eating their babies or something.

Stephen Ireland != LegendDevil.jpg

Reid should be in the squad to add something different. People are talking about him like he can pass better than Ronald Koeman, Carlos Valderamma and Jan Molby combined. He's average, but would have been nice to have the option of throwing him on against bulgaria with 15 minutes to go.

As for Stephen Ireland, traps and brady have made it fairly clear, they met him and he didn't want to play. Everyone agreed that SI would contact the FAI when he was ready. Even most the people on joe duffy seem to agree with that.
    Seems to me that Dunphy and one caller to Joe Duffy are the only people in the country that want traps to beg Ireland to play for us.

Xavi6 secretly hates him. It's just that he <3s his employers. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

He was 18 and my opinion is based on all forms of media, whether it be the tv, internet or papers....and come on I dont read the Sun! Yes he is a good player but he seems to have a chip on his shoulder or something.

Well wasn't he mercilessly bullied by the Ireland squad?

And I've no problem with that.

However, anything outside of football (his car or whatever) is zero to do with his ability on the pitch. Boards has a Celebrity & Showbiz forum for that sort of drivel.

The fact is he's our most talented and in form player right now and IF he wanted to come back we should take him.

However, anything outside of football (his car or whatever) is zero to do with his ability on the pitch. Boards has a Celebrity & Showbiz forum for that sort of drivel.

The fact is he's our most talented and in form player right now and IF he wanted to come back we should take him.

Thats a fair point and the car thing has been removed.

But do you think he should apologise?

We've had questions at press conferences thrown at Dunne, its not his place to answer them but I think the guy himself should come out and explain what his problem is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

In fairness, what a guy does off the pitch doesn't bother me if he does well on it, but it can say a lot about the guy.

The infamous Range Rover wasn't Steve Ireland's it was his girlfriend's, so that's nothing on him. He strikes me as someone who lacks a bit of confidence, who paradoxically, is extraordinarily self-confident at the same time, the guy who gets a hair transplant also wanders about superman underwear. He's a little temperamental, but fúck it, who isn't? Someone needs to talk to the guy privately, and find out what he wants.

Thats a fair point and the car thing has been removed.

Cool
    But do you think he should apologise?

Not being smart, but apologise for what? The reasons he is not in the squad are obviously valid for him so why would he say sorry for sticking to them?
    We've had questions at press conferences thrown at Dunne, its not his place to answer them but I think the guy himself should come out and explain what his problem is.

Does it matter? He has said he is happy at club level and that should be the end of that. It's been debated for 18 months now and nothing's changed. Time to just get on with it.

He shouldn't apologise. If he doesn't want to play, fair enough. I'm sure he'll regret it when his career is over. He'd be our best player and a hero in ireland for the rest of his life if he played, instead of being "that w@nker stephen ireland"
    2 things though:
    • It would be nice if Stephen Ireland came out with a statement on his position with the national team to stop all this speculation.
    • He can feck off if he thinks he can walk into a squad that has just qualfied for a major competition. The time to come back is now

Not being smart, but apologise for what? The reasons he is not in the squad are obviously valid for him so why would he say sorry for sticking to them?

Does it matter? He has said he is happy at club level and that should be the end of that. It's been debated for 18 months now and nothing's changed. Time to just get on with it.

He should lay the cards out the table and explain why he hasnt returned with an interview with Sky Sports or RTE or something.

At the moment its 50/50 with people for him and against him but i feel if he leaves it any longer that figure will sway and the majority will not be in favour of him returning....so get in there while he still can.

He should lay the cards out the table and explain why he hasnt returned with an interview with Sky Sports or RTE or something.

At the moment its 50/50 with people for him and against him but i feel if he leaves it any longer that figure will sway and the majority will not be in favour of him returning....so get in there while he still can.

I reckon 99% are for him, but they want him to make the first move. I think he'd win the remaining 1% with his performances on the pitch too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

why

honestly, can you give us a good reason why he should do this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

with crap like that in media everyother week, no wonder the lad doesn't want to play for us.

why can't people just leave him alone to let him get over whatever issues he has with the setup in his own good time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

event wrote: »
    why

honestly, can you give us a good reason why he should do this?

Well he has been asked by the Irish management numerous times and he has yet to give a concrete reason thats all.
    No harm in behaving like an adult and answering a question.

ziggy wrote: »

Publicly I'd express my outrage but privately I'd be chuffed that our best player was heading to the biggest international tournament with us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

Well he has been asked by the Irish management numerous times and he has yet to give a concrete reason thats all.
    No harm in behaving like an adult and answering a question.

perhaps he has given his answer, privately to trap.
    why should he have to justify himself to us?

read my post on it from before, i wont get into it again, but can see why he doesnt play for us

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=58295866&postcount=192

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

As long as it didn't effect the moral of the squad and have a negative impact in that regard then I would be feckin delighted to have our best (most in form) player back in the team.

If it was going to negatively effect the rest of the squad, and risk our performances then he shouldn't be brought back.

However no one here can know how it will effect the squad only the squad and management team know the answer to that.

I wouldn't be making that bet though.

I'd be really browned off. It would severely hamper my enjoyment of the team during the tournament. I'd totally lose respect for him if we scraped through to a tournament with our best midfielder absent by choice, and he then swanned in for the tournament.

That said: I agree with the opinion that he shouldn't have to represent his country if he doesn't want to. An unambiguous statement about his intentions would be most welcome in putting the whole thing to bed once and for all though.

event wrote: »
    perhaps he has given his answer, privately to trap.
    why should he have to justify himself to us?

read my post on it from before, i wont get into it again, but can see why he doesnt play for us

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=58295866&postcount=192

Apparently he couldnt give a definitive answer to Trap and wouldnt look at him in the eye.

But as an Irish supporter I would like to know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

what about henrik larrson and sweden. im pretty sure he came out of retirement for a couple of finals. similar in that he did nothing to get them there but still played the finals..are we angry about this if we are sweden fans??

• Advertisement
Advertisement