Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

an post and mail going misssing

Options
  • 30-03-2009 3:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭

Has anybody had issues with mail that they posted in the Galway city area or anywhere else going missing?
    Last December I posted a present to a friend in the UK but she never got it
    On the parcel I had my return address also but it is still missing
    Contact on post and they say it is lost and I filled in the missing post form
    the on the 18th of march I posted a mother days card with a gift card in it and guess what but that has not arrived and is missing.
    I know I put stamps ect on them but I have a feeling that a member of on post staff is stealing mail
    At this point I have cancelled the gift card and I have asked for it to be tracked so that if it was stolen I will know who has it.
    Like how dose a parcel with both receiver and return address gust get lost for every
    Sean

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

A DvD i sent back to Screenclick went missing

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

I sent an XBOX hard drive to the UK and it never arrived.
    Also send a few DVD's to Donegal and they never arrived.
    Anything expensive that i'm posting from Galway always gets registered now..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 hedgehog33

I've posted quite a few packages the last few weeks and all have arrived without problem. I've sent from Eglinton St., Newcastle and Salthill post offices. But ye have me worried now! I'm setting up a webshop and will be posting my orders out. I was going to use standard post as registered is pretty expensive, and adds on a lot to the order price (orders aren't high value). Looks like I better stick with registered though....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

i have a customer who sent back a product nine days ago and i havent recieved yet and we are both in dublin

im waiting on a few registered packets/letters from abroad (35+days now)

no idea whats happening to the post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 hedgehog33

9 days and both parties in Dublin is really a joke. It once took 3 months for a parcel to be delivered to me from Ireland (I was living in Eastern Europe at the time). My friend thought I was really rude not saying thanks for the surpise present she sent me!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭seangal

i just have a feeling they ( an Post staff) are stealing it and they can sell it on ebay
    like it is a joke i have rang an post loads of time and they just keep saying it is lost
    like how is it F*****G lost when the return address is on it
    like you would think that the post system is a big black hole or something
    is they a regulater over them?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

there was a similar situation in Cork a number of years ago (That I know of)

- it is more than likely that a staff member taking the occasional package (ie. Birthday cards/Christmas cards etc)

I think Prime time did a documentary on it....the only way to ensure a package/letter arrives you have to pay the extra so that it is tracked and you know who takes it.

if you are 100% convinced that its a staff member that took it .....it might be worth discussing your thoughts with An Post management in Galway and also maybe the Gardai....if this is a regular occurrance I'm sure An Post would be happy to preserve their good name.

PCPhoto wrote: »

- it is more than likely that a staff member taking the occasional package (ie. Birthday cards/Christmas cards etc)

I think Prime time did a documentary on it....the only way to ensure a package/letter arrives you have to pay the extra so that it is tracked and you know who takes it.

if you are 100% convinced that its a staff member that took it .....it might be worth discussing your thoughts with An Post management in Galway and also maybe the Gardai....if this is a regular occurrance I'm sure An Post would be happy to preserve their good name.

there was a postman in the uk who was caught with more than 5000 letters and packages in his house last year i think it was

the only way they caught him was when police searched his house after an unrelated incident

its really schit when youre trying to run an online business like i am and you cant be competitive like UK sellers because an post charge so much for the registered service

as soon as theyre monopoly ends i will be switching to whatever competition there is

PCPhoto wrote: »

they have a good name??

most people ive encountered think theyre overpaid lazy thieves who wouldnt know the meaning of working a full day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

Are ComReg able to do anything about this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Are ComReg able to do anything about this?

They are regulated by comreg, what difference it makes is another thing. On the latest performance figures published Anpost failed to meet the targets set out by comreg. They also did worse on some figures than previous year. See REPORT HERE

Complaints about universal postal services provided by An Post

Contact An Post’s dedicated customer service team, outline the complaint and ask for it to be resolved.

Phone: 1850 57 58 59
    Letter: Customer Service, GPO, FREEPOST, Dublin 1
    Fax: (01) 809 0900
    Email: customer.services@anpost.ie

ComReg will be pleased to assist if you are unhappy with the outcome of An Post’s investigation. We will review your case and tell you if we can take further action for you.
    You can contact ComReg in the following ways.

Phone (LoCall): 1890 229 668 (9.00am to 5.30pm) Monday to Friday
    Letter: ComReg Consumer Team, Irish Life Centre, Block DEF, Lower Abbey Street, Dublin 1
    Fax: (01) 804 9671
    Email: consumerline@comreg.ie

If your complaint concerns a monetary claim and relates to one of the other postal services provided either by an Authorised Service Provider or An Post, you may also take action through the Small Claims Court

Substantial delay for domestic mail is defined as any item that has not been received within 7 calendar days and for cross border mail within 10 calendar days.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Zeppi

Davy wrote: »
    They are regulated by comreg, what difference it makes is another thing. On the latest performance figures published Anpost failed to meet the targets set out by comreg. They also did worse on some figures than previous year. See REPORT HERE

Complaints about universal postal services provided by An Post

Contact An Post’s dedicated customer service team, outline the complaint and ask for it to be resolved.

Phone: 1850 57 58 59
    Letter: Customer Service, GPO, FREEPOST, Dublin 1
    Fax: (01) 809 0900
    Email: customer.services@anpost.ie

ComReg will be pleased to assist if you are unhappy with the outcome of An Post’s investigation. We will review your case and tell you if we can take further action for you.
    You can contact ComReg in the following ways.

Phone (LoCall): 1890 229 668 (9.00am to 5.30pm) Monday to Friday
    Letter: ComReg Consumer Team, Irish Life Centre, Block DEF, Lower Abbey Street, Dublin 1
    Fax: (01) 804 9671
    Email: consumerline@comreg.ie

If your complaint concerns a monetary claim and relates to one of the other postal services provided either by an Authorised Service Provider or An Post, you may also take action through the Small Claims Court

Substantial delay for domestic mail is defined as any item that has not been received within 7 calendar days and for cross border mail within 10 calendar days.

With all respect, it's all b*******, I've posted a registered letter to my mum in a country within the EU and guess what it want in a county called exactly like my mum's country but in Brazil the other side of the world. Till today anpost never came back with an explanation why this happened when the envelope was clearly marked with the country and EUROPE at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Zeppi wrote: »
    With all respect, it's all b*******, I've posted a registered letter to my mum in a country within the EU and guess what it want in a county called exactly like my mum's country but in Brazil the other side of the world. Till today anpost never came back with an explanation why this happened when the envelope was clearly marked with the country and EUROPE at the end.

Then you should have contacted comreg. They need to know how often this is happening. If it was worth something you should be able to get the money back

there was a massive thread in after hours last week about An Post and people who hasnt been getting their stuff delivered

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

My parcel that was sent on the 15th of march still hasnt arrived, it was posted from dublin and im in Cork!
    Im very pissed off

update
    to day i got a letter from an post with a cheque for €25 and they said they serched both local and general sorting office and could not find it
    like it was a big F***ING box
    like do they think it fell out of the plane in to the irish see or something
    dose comreg do a report on missing mail as that report they did is just complete crap
    this is complet crap sombody is taking all those letters and an post is letting it happen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Zeppi wrote: »

That sort of stuff happens sometimes ( I work for An Post from time to time ).We often get letters delivered to Ireland which are really meant for Iran, Italy or Iceland. It shouldn't however happen that frequently with Reg.Post as they can trace it back to the person who sorted it. However it does happen, it can be put down to carelessness on behalf of the person who sorted it and nothing else.

As for letters going dissappearing, well it can and does happen but its often not for the reasons people assume ( namely the Postie robbed it ). Theft does happen in An Post but its generally not theft of letters- the last person caught was nicking social welfare cheques and getting his mate to cash them in a pub. Back in the 1980's theft of birthday cards was common as staff hoped to lay their hands on some lolly but since the installation of CCTV that practice has been cut down enormously ( Im not saying it doesn't happen, just that it happens a hell of a lot less than it used to ).

Main reason for letters not reaching their destination is not that they get lost but more so that they get shredded. An Post use huge automated machines to sort their post in the Dublin Mail Center- these machines have a capacity to read addresses and sort mail at a rate of around 25,000 letters per hour and there are 3 machines running at any given time. They sort around 2 million letters per day there, quite a substantial amount. Anyway from time to time letters get tangled up in the machine and shredded beyond recognition. Its hard to put a figure on it but I'd reckon about 1 in every 10,000 letters or so ends up this way.
    What is annoying is that management in the plant just couldn't seem to care less and even those letters that are ripped in half but are still readable ( and therefore deliverable ) end up being burnt. It seems they'd rather dispose of them than be seen to deliver ripped letters.

As for parcels going missing, well given their size there really is no excuse for that and it is hard to believe it is anything but theft. Occasionally fools send bottles of wine through the post and the bottle will smash, covering other peoples parcels in red wine. nonetheless in this circumstance An Post will still deliver the parcel, red wine stains and all. If your parcel has gone missing sometimes it can get delayed because the address was incomplete but as long as their is a return address on it then it'll make its way back to you ( this can take a long time, up to 8 weeks ). If it doesn't then I think theft is the only reasonable explanation. One thing I have heard working in there is that theft in the Royal Mail is a lot more prevalent than it is in An Post but that was just a managers heresay, I can't be sure of it....

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭corkgal1981

One thing I have heard working in there is that theft in the Royal Mail is a lot more prevalent than it is in An Post but that was just a managers heresay, I can't be sure of it....[/quote]

I work for An Post too and last year, around the time Royal Mail were threatening to strike again, the amount of calls received pertaining to missing post was unbelievable. A lot of the items in question were tracked to uk locations (not only post addressed to uk goes to uk, a lot of international post travels via uk and is sent on from royal mail) but disappeared. On phoning Royal Mail we were told that because of their dispute (they get paid significantly less than other postal service workers) every second item of post was being stolen! Maybe we caught this particular person on a bad day at work as that seemed like a bit of an exaggeration! We were told to keep it to ourselves!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

To be fair to An Post, with international items that go missing it could just as easily have happened once the item reached the overseas postal service as before it left Ireland.

If you get a proof of posting when you mail a domestic item they usually (?) give you a small amount of compensation. Employee dishonesty is a huge problem in most industries; it's just amplified in the postal service.

an-post dont want to do anything about it as they will make more profit by forcing us to register the post
    there advise to me was ro register all mail from now on and then it can be tracked and wont be lost
    such crap service and like to think that they cant stop a thief in this day and age is a joke

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 PentUpDemand

Just finished dealing with An Post after a nearly 4 month saga of calling An Post to locate a missing parcel that was sent to an international destination.
    Eventually got some cash from them but only the amount that was written as value of parcel, the postal charges themselves were not refunded which seems ridiculous to me.
    It was "wait 2 weeks", "wait 2 weeks" for the last while, really they would break your heart trying to get any action from them. The whole tracking system is a joke once it has left Ireland, and An Post claims it has no responsibility. The call centre crowd are really the most useless bunch I have ever dealt with and just give you a line about saying the paperwork is being processed, authorization for cheque has been sent etc. I wish there was some alternative to using these cowboys but it is a state monopoly.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭soc

We've had mail going missing...

We were expecting a DVD from screenclick and a week later, it still hadn't arrived. We've had utility bills not show up some months as well...

If it was only 1 company that we weren't getting mail from, we'd put it down to the company - but the fact that mail has disappeared from a couple of senders makes me think it's a problem with An Post.

I've raised a complaint with An Post... doubt anything will be done about it though.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

They're hardly nicking your ESB bills ;)

parsi wrote: »
    the f*****s would steal any think

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

parsi wrote: »

Answered the door last year to a complete stranger who handed me what turned out to be my final notice TV licence reminder from An Post, which had been delivered to her by mistake. I'd never received the original renewal notice either. Given that they can't even deliver their own stuff, I don't have much faith in them.

Advertisement