Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Router 'dropping'

Options
  • 30-03-2009 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭

Ive gota netopia router must have it about 6/7years im guesign is old but everytime im on the net or playing games the connection jst drops.

says im still connected to the network but local access only. so i have to plug it out and plug it back in to reset it...

this can happen 3/4times a nite and its annoying is this because the router signal is gettign weaker? do i need a new router?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Saggitarius

Ive gota netopia router must have it about 6/7years im guesign is old but everytime im on the net or playing games the connection jst drops.

says im still connected to the network but local access only. so i have to plug it out and plug it back in to reset it...

this can happen 3/4times a nite and its annoying is this because the router signal is gettign weaker? do i need a new router?

Don't worrying. It's happening sometimes with me with almost 1year old netopia router but reconnecting automaticly a few seconds later.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

yea but if im downstairs ive to keep waking upstairs to plug it our and wait then back in... could be doing a project online or important part of game.. and also out of the principle that im paying for a service maybe ill ring them and vent...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

yea but if im downstairs ive to keep waking upstairs to plug it our and wait then back in... could be doing a project online or important part of game.. and also out of the principle that im paying for a service maybe ill ring them and vent...

You have to diagnose whether it is your wireless or your bb signal is dropping - have you done that?

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Saggitarius

dub45 wrote: »
    You have to diagnose whether it is your wireless or your bb signal is dropping - have you done that?

In this case did you refreshed the router firmware soon?
    How-to: LINK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

ya dont have to walk upstairs. I use the wifi on me phone and if I get disconnected i just use my phone to access 192.168.1.254 then just hit reconnect from there. Tis handy dns a lazy git like meself.

• Advertisement

No how do you do this?

No how do you do this?

You have to connect your pc/laptop directly (ethernet cable) to the router and see how the connection is.

seanybiker wrote: »
    ya dont have to walk upstairs. I use the wifi on me phone and if I get disconnected i just use my phone to access 192.168.1.254 then just hit reconnect from there. Tis handy dns a lazy git like meself.

well cant use the router 192.168.1.254 functions because it wont connect to that if the wireless is gone, thats the point.
    You have to connect your pc/laptop directly (ethernet cable) to the router and see how the connection is.

well the connection works fine if i use the ethernet cable it never drops, thats why im guessing its the signal... maybe its the place i have it in my room? would it be better to move it to the sitting room?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

well cant use the router 192.168.1.254 functions because it wont connect to that if the wireless is gone, thats the point.

well the connection works fine if i use the ethernet cable it never drops, thats why im guessing its the signal... maybe its the place i have it in my room? would it be better to move it to the sitting room?

im having a similar problem with my NTL BB through a D-Link router and it keeps dropping too, sometimes every 5 mins :mad:

wired connection is perfect, but wireless i keep getting the little red X on my signal strength in the bottom right corner and i have to right click and repair it everytime!

Have you tried changing the wireless channel? Have you any other wireless gizmos in the house?

Download netstumbler and see if there are any other wireless networks around which might be interfering with yours.

• Advertisement
Advertisement