Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LG GD900 (glass keypad)

• 30-03-2009 3:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭

I was wondering what people thought of the new LG GD900? It is a world first, as it comes with a transparent keypad made of glass. It was first announced last month during the Mobile World Congress and new details have just surfaced. Details can be found here with some of the features mentioned below.

- 3” touchscreen with multi-touch and haptic feedback
    - Transparent glass keypad
    - S-Class UI
    - HSDPA - 7.2 Mbps
    - 13.4 mm thick

lg_cita_09_1.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

LG now has the handset on their website.

gd900_1238371010937_l.jpg

gd900_1238041739514_l2.jpg

gd900_1238043259815_l3.jpg

gd900_1238043259815_l4.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Rsaeire wrote: »
    LG now has the handset on their website.

Your link is broke. New Link

I think the clear keypad is a bit gimmicky. Its new and looks different but the excitement would be short lived. Im sure the sun shinning on it would be great for texting

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,085 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Why the hell did they decide to ruin a phone by putting a see through keypad on it.

Davy wrote: »
    Your link is broke. New Link

I think the clear keypad is a bit gimmicky. Its new and looks different but the excitement would be short lived. Im sure the sun shinning on it would be great for texting

It worked when I posted it. The images in my last post came from the main handset page, so I guess they were a bit soon in updating the site with the GD900.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

The keypad alone would be enough to drive me crazy and put me off to be honest.

Why is it transparent?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,085 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Random wrote: »

Why is it transparent?

If you're walking and texting at the same time you'd be able to see any dog shít on the footpath and avoid stepping on it. That's all I've got.

Random wrote: »

Why is it transparent?

Why not? :D

To be honest, the unique keypad is why I decided to post. I didn't think many people would actually like the transparent glass, but you must admit it does look interesting. Feature wise it's no slouch either and the new UI looks interesting; I've always been a bit partial to 3D cube effects.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Video look at the ui and phone @ engadget:

http://is.gd/qM1C-

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭C-Shore

the fact that its see through isnt really the issue..

the keypad itself is touch responsive and also works like an optical mousepad and that just seems to defeat the purpose!
    why hav a slide out touch keypad that doesnt do anything extra to what can be done on the screen?

seems like extra weight and bulk?

if you want to see where this kinda thing could actually start changing things then take a look at this video..

http://nds3.nokia.com/NOKIA_COM_1/About_Nokia/Research/Demos/Morph/video/morph_concept_small.mov

or

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zto6aTZM9t0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Bit of a bump but seems better than a new thread.

I was looking at this and it looks better in person than what the pictures do for it. The font on the buttons is white and can be seen clearly, more so than i would have thought. Its quite unique that nothing can be seen, except the microphone receiver at the bottom.

In saying all that i didn't like the slider, seemed very sluggish to me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement