Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Littlewoods RIP OFF Sterling vs Euro

Options
  • 30-03-2009 3:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭

Im just about to freak out...

I was doing soem onlie shopping and ended up on Littlewoods uk, when it came to proceed to purchase i was unable to place my order because: i live in IRELAND!

Sure , nevermind we do the whole shopping again on the irish page.
    When i clicked trhough my items i got a little confused as the prices where EXTREM HIGER then in Sterling.

Example: lovely Dress 119 Euro / in the UK 80£= 89 Euro
    Tankini 50 Euro / in the UK 27£

Dress on offer in the UK for 16£, well on the Irish page 59 Euro!

So i rang them and asked if they would match up prices or if it was a mistake and what SUPRISE???

No, im afraid you have to purchase the product with the given Price, you are unable to but from the UK Page!!!

RIP OFF OR WHAT???? :mad:

Is there anything you can do? I mean Comsumer rights???

Just cant get over the fact, sure if you have friends in the UK you can get it posted to them but what if you want those products just a little bit faster???

Sumse

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

wow another one of these UK V Ireland threads, we've not seen these millions of times before :)

PS:
    You have no legal rights in respect of buying at UK price/UK site, your options are buy it at priced displayed on a site that allows it or don't,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭sumse

well its not really about ireland vs uk as there are enough pages where cloth etc can be purchased in sterling.

Its more about littlewoods in regards to matching prices, like Tesco or little adams. Those companies are offering £=€ and i think this is only fair!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

sumse wrote: »

Its more about littlewoods in regards to matching prices, like Tesco or little adams. Those companies are offering £=€ and i think this is only fair!

then buy in adams/tesco

no one twists your arm to shop with littlewoods...

very intelligent comment!

Thank you very much, very clever!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

very intelligent comment!

Thank you very much, very clever!

What do you want people to say though? Consumer rights have nothing to do with it, as you have the right not to pay. If Littlewoods want to screw the Irish by charging more, that's their prerogative, but you still don't have to buy from them.

All you can do is tell them that you were going to spend X amount of money, but because they want to charge more, you're now going to spend zero.

• Advertisement

I think in general smart comments are not needed here and are no help"

Instead ideas oh what can be done or maybe people with experience can help...

Believe it or not, im not going to purchase from them.

I was not aware of the massive difference and i posted this to inform maybe other littlewoods customers.

Also i had the impression that BOARDS can be used for issues like that, so if anyone has soemthing smart to say should maybe use some forums on other pages!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Also i had the impression that BOARDS can be used for issues like that, so if anyone has soemthing smart to say should maybe use some forums on other pages!

It can also be used to point out that this is not a consumer issue, as your rights are not being infringed by Littlewoods' pricing policy, as has happened here. You've already pointed out that Adams and Tesco match euro to pound, so shopping there is a better option than Littlewoods.

I still don't understand what it is you're looking for. If you want someone to point out how you can order the goods at the UK price, then it's not going to happen. Highlighting the price difference between euro and pound has been covered with your first post. There isn't a whole lot more to it than that.

The thread might be better in the Online Buying and Auctions forum, but it's for me to move it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Rip-Off Ireland - it's better suited there.

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

I think in general smart comments are not needed here and are no help"

Instead ideas oh what can be done or maybe people with experience can help...

Believe it or not, im not going to purchase from them.

I was not aware of the massive difference and i posted this to inform maybe other littlewoods customers.

I found littlewoods are too dear compared to other websites, that's why I stopped shopping there.

You might find suggestions of other websites to shop in the Fashion/Appearance forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Saibh wrote: »
    I found littlewoods are too dear compared to other websites, that's why I stopped shopping there.
    Thats the way it should work really. The OP saw stuff cheap on sale in another country, then looked at the cost here and it was high. I don't really think people need much warning about this, there is no trickery going on. People will look at the products and decide if they are worth buying or not.

I do not really see the point of pointing out every highly priced item that people come across. I am far more interested in where to get things cheap, the bargain alerts forum is very active and useful. The rip-off forum has very little info on true ripoffs, it is just a "I found an expensive item and didn't buy it and nobody in their right mind would either" forum. Do people really need to be warned that some shop is selling a chocolate bar for €2?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

I'd say it has more to do with laziness and inertia rather than rip-off.
    Littlewoods probably see the Irish Market as too small to be bothered with.
    The site was probably sanctioned and set up years ago when Sterling was 1.30-1.40 to the Euro and they couldn't be bothered changing it.
    Ireland being 15 times smaller population-wise probably doesn't register with the managment whose permission is probably needed to change the website prices.
    There is probably VAT differences in UK and Ireland clothing which stops internet cross-currency trades or some other legal or exchange-rate obstruction.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Just for fun try an entropay card, set to UK sterling. I reckon you would get the UK rates then.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 bazh23

Just had a really rotten experience with Littlewoods Ireland. Just thought i'd post it here to warn anyone attempting to sign up to Littlewoods. Been ordering online for years and never come across such bad customer service. Really rude, obnoxious and unfriendly staff and when I tried to complain, Manager who called me was worse! lol :eek:

They have a large customer base in Ireland and most are happy simply because they sign up, they order, goods arrive... all is ok. So those are happy customers. But when you need to veer off the beaten track... like with a complaint, or technical problem with your account, ordering issue, return, query over credit etc etc... then you are in for a very rough ride! Consumer Complaints in Ireland said nothing could be done. Whole experience left a really bad taste. Prices on catalogue/website are very uncompetitive to start with. Never again... thinking of suing for the Grey hairs and Prozac aftermath!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

Littlewoods don't give a fiddlers what they charge - they're essentially a credit company and the only reason anyone buys from them is because they give low level instant credit to pretty much anyone initially and get rich off their huge interest charges. There's nothing in Littleswoods you can't get elsewhere. You should see some of the prices on Oxendales for electrical and gaming stuff now there's rip off pricing.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 bazh23

I agree. Prices are outrageous. You've got to remember though that these companies don't actually monitor or adjust those prices with any regularity. Littlewoods and Oxendales and other such companies offer electronics and other items as more of an "add-on" to their main range. The prices for those items are totally uncompetitive. In fact I think Oxendales is still charging 700 Euros for a Playstation 3! That kinda says it all really.

Lately I've actually found Amazon are getting really good with their prices on electronics. Have purchased a couple of items on Amazon Ireland and even with the delivery charge you're saving about 10% on the like's of Pixmania, Dabs, Komplett, Elara, Memoryc, and others...

I've found the best way to get a really good price on anything online is to put the product code into google.ie search.

Advertisement