Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vista basic - premium question?

• 30-03-2009 3:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭

A friend has a 4 year old PC with 2.5ghz p4 and a 250gb harddrive and 512mb of RAM, and it got a bad virus and corrupted the entire drive as he just recently got connected to the net (broadband) without having even anti-Virus on it:D

Anyway he wants me to re-install windows but wants to run Vista on it, I think the machine would behave like a slow pig with Home Premium on it so was wondering to use Basic instead.

I have got a Home Premium licence and the DVD box set, would it be possible to use my Home Premium dvd for the install files and buy the licence key for Basic direct from Microsoft or must I get a new Windows Vista Basic box set which will take me a week probably as I shall have to order it from the net and await shipping otherwise. or are the install files totally different?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 103 ✭✭sandleman1979

Most retail copies of Vista have all the versions on the same disk.
    You can select the version to install. Vista basic is very poor best bet is to get Home premium or ultimate if the budget can hack it!

The machine should be able to cope with Vista as long as you can put at least 2GB of ram in it.... Don't even try 512mb of ram!! Christmas will be here before the install finishes ;-)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

512MB is a non-runner , even if you get RAM it still won't have the performance of a new machine, explain to them about Moores law and how a new machine will be 10 times faster than a 5 year old one ( well the CPU anyway )

XP should be fine once you put firewall and anti malware on it and latest service pack and patches and use firefox/opera in preference to IE
    If paranoid and only using for web then look at sandbox or ubuntu ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭mumhaabu

Upon checking it out for my man I discovered it actually only has a CD drive which makes installation a hell of a lot harder, I could try creating a disk image but I managed to talk him into holding tough for a LIDL or ALDI special which would suit him and his budget nicely. I have reformatted with XP and got him back on track for a few more weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

If you feel like living on the edge... there is a version of Vista out there that runs on 256mb RAM
    or so I hear... but I wouldn't know much because its illegal ;)

+1 for Windows 7 (but I'd just install Ubuntu myself)

Advertisement