Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rubens

• 30-03-2009 3:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 964 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

Just said that I would throw a though out there regarding Rubens.

He really does deserve alot of credit. He has raced four very different types of F1 car, i.e Pre 1995, post 1995, post 1995 with grooved tyres, and now, the current batch. He has managed to stay as fast as he always was throughout this.

I would LOVE to see him win w world title this year. No driver deserves it more in my opinion.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

A great driver is a great driver, simple as that. Whether or not he deserves the title is irrelevant, it looks like he has the car to do it this year, so if he doesn't he has no-one else to blame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭De Hipster

I obviously watched a different race yesterday! ;)

Rubens (while I do like the guy) was involved in numerous incidents, had to be told to slow down by Ross Brawn while speeding along under safety car conditions & finished 2nd due to some very good fortune. IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭BoardsRanger

Agree with you OP. He is definately one of the nicest driver on the grid. Met him in Melbourne about 5 years ago and he was a gent.
    It cant have been easy for him being second fiddle to Michael for all those ferarri years but he represented himself well.
    I would indeed love to see him take the title this year and i do think he will be close to Jenson all the way through.
    In fairness De Hipster, had his anti-stall not kicked in on sunday, he could have had a incident free race. Having said that, one of those incidents could have been avoided by him.

Agree with you OP. He is definately one of the nicest driver on the grid. Met him in Melbourne about 5 years ago and he was a gent.
    It cant have been easy for him being second fiddle to Michael for all those ferarri years but he represented himself well.
    I would indeed love to see him take the title this year and i do think he will be close to Jenson all the way through.
    In fairness De Hipster, had his anti-stall not kicked in on sunday, he could have had a incident free race. Having said that, one of those incidents could have been avoided by him.

Perhaps I am being a tad harsh, but for a driver with his years experience, I expected more from him, it certainly didn't go to plan and he seemed to do little to help himself.

Compare to Sebastien Buemi's debut event...impressive for a first run.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Irishshin

I am so glad Rubens got a drive this year, he is my favourite driver.
    I would love to see him win this year :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Scober11

Beumis driving i tought was preety suspect for a professional he appeared to miss every apex on every corner as far as i could see judging by the camers angles and on board footage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

RUBENEEOOOOOOOO! (I've always like the guy).
    Nice guy, gent amonst some big headed gits, BUT still won't win the championship!
    Why?

When he was under pressure Sunday, he reacted with some woeful mistakes. I can understand being a bit wreckless, sometimes you have to take a few chances and hope your luck holds out, but some of his decisions where very poor.

On a slightly different topic - statisically, the winning driver of the first GP of the season, goes on to win the championship!
    (Based on the last 10 years).

History and trends mean nothing in Formula 1 TBH.

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    They were far from woeful in all fairness, the first one was a first corner incident something that happens practically every second race.

He was shunted in the back at the first corner, so that wasn't his fault. The incident with Raikkonnen was his fault but accidental, he outbraked himself and did all he could to avoid contact.
    The other one was just a racing incident simple as that. If you want to take about somebody who is terrible and wreckless look no further than Piquet or Nakajima.

Or Hamilton ;)

mrmac wrote: »
    When he was under pressure Sunday, he reacted with some woeful mistakes. I can understand being a bit wreckless, sometimes you have to take a few chances and hope your luck holds out, but some of his decisions where very poor.

Finally...this was my point (damn interweb with no intenation!).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 964 ✭✭✭thegoth

Its VERY unfair to judge a career spanning 272 starts on one race. Rubens was hit from behind at the start, so not his fault. The only real mistake he made was while trying to overtake Kimi. Fair enough. They happen. Overall, Rubens has had very few avoidable accidents.

I fully expect him to give Jensen a good run for his money this year.

Try and list major incidents in F1 that were his fault. I cant think of too many. I can think of alot more for Suchmacher, Senna, Alonso, and even the "new" boy, Lewis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I think he was probably just excited to have a drive and be in a competitive car for a change and couldn't believe his luck given he hasn't had the luckiest F1 career and he's been around a while (he deserves more than he's gotten out of it IMO).

I think he was happy not to have stepped out of F1 because he didn't have a drive. He deserves to leave when he's ready or stops being competitive. He's neither at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

Wow!
    Talk about strong support for Rubens!
    All of it totally well deserved, as I said, "I've always liked the guy", and think he's a decent driver.

Plus, I'm certainly not passing any derogatory judgement on his career; I am simply stating that he "hasn't a snowball's chance in hell" of winning the championship, as I don't believe he can handle that amount of pressure anymore! That's far from saying he's not able to drive.

Possibly in the top 5 or 6, if the car remains competitive, and I would be delighted for him to do that.

P.S. - if he wins the championship, I'll buy all the above supporters a drink each! If he doesn't, mine's a Brandy! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭manta356

He'll give jenson a good run,he outqualified him lots of times last year.He seldom makes mistakes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

cant find a video of the move on kimi but rubens car was bouncing around badly in the breaking area from what i can remember i think that and the damage to his front wing just caught him out nothing malicious as far as i can see just a racing incident

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Yep, I've been a big fan of Rubens since he started his F1 career with Jordan in 1993 (the man who gave us Jordan fans the team's first podium at Aida in '94 and their first pole at Spa later that year). Delighted he had such a good first race this year and, while I don't think himself and Jenson will have such a dominant car all year (especially when the fly-aways are over and the teams get back to Europe), I do hope they win more races this year and I'd love to see Rubens notch up another win or more if possible. He's such a nice guy as well and you could see how happy he was in the interviews all weekend just to even have a drive this year, let alone be in such a competitive car and be able to finsh second in both qualifying and the race.

As for the incident with Kimi, I agree, it was just a racing incident.

Advertisement