Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Delaying ttc

• 30-03-2009 4:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

My Partner and I have been mulling over this for a while. We are both 30 and married a few months. We are in the process of beginning to build a home for ourselves which is looking like it'll take at least a year and a half.
    I definitely want to have kids soon enough but realise that this may not be the best time for us. DH would prefer to wait till the house is built etc. etc, he has thrown out the figure of 2 years as being a nice time to wait between getting married and having kids as he feels we will never have this special time on our own again, and I do agree with him.

Also the possibility of him being able to take a creer break has come up and as Im not working at the moment we thought while the house is being built we could take 6 months off and go travelling as again, we'll never have this opportunity again.

Im super excited about all these plans but every now and then I worry that I'll regret putting off having kids for another 2 years. I'll be 31, possibly nearly 32 before we start ttc.

Is this too late, are we mad? Should we start sooner rather than later? I know for everyone, it's different but I'd really like some feedback as Im beginning to feel a bit guilty as a few people have expressed surprise that we are leaving it for a while. :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 prissylee

Hi,

I'd just like to add that myself & hubby are same age as you and married 6 mths. I'm thinking alot about ttc and hope to start properly soon (once normal fertility comes back-off pill 2 mths). I know how you feel and you want to wait for proper time. It's hard when you have such a big project like building a house in front of you. We moved into ours not long after wedding. I guess having being through building, it does take over a lot of your time & having a child may hinder you somewhat. That's not to say you shouldn't start trying. I guess the way I look at it is we're not getting any younger & ive heard too many local people that have miscarried too in their mid-late
    30's.

But that's just my opinion. 32 isn't very old and it's all down to personal choice at the end of the day. I don't think anyone can give you an answer here, it's up to you and your partner.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭drunk_monk

Hi,

One thing to maybe bear in mind is that sometimes for some people it can take a long time to get pregnant. We stated ttc one year ago after being together for 10 years. We are both in our thirties and we are now starting to think "why didn't we start sooner"

but that's just our situation, as already stated everybody's different. Good luck with your decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭LadyE

Are you only starting to doubt whether you are doing the right thing because of other peoples opinions and them being surprised at you waiting a while?

You really shouldn't, this is about you and your husband and YOUR family and noone else, if you are happy to do your own thing, go travelling for a while while you can and enjoy being married, then do that!

But, as the previous poster said, it is something that might not happen straight away, could take a while for it to happen! Somethiing to consider more, rather than someone elses opinions on your life!

Advertisement