Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drums - Building Speed

Options
  • 30-03-2009 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭

I have just taken up drums again (e-kit due to living arrangements, TD-3 and PBX-8's), and am having some trouble building speed.

Everything else is going fine, timing is reasonably solid, fluid changes across pads, kick drum and hands working in time, but I cant seem to get back into anything fast.

I think I need to revise some posture/holding technique, as I can feel my left arm losing time when I practice on a single skin with a roll - any advice?

Good books/tutorials/websites? Just set the metronome and keep at it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Zangetsu

I'm not much of a drummer myself but building speed on an instrument is pretty much the same concept across the board...

Start SLOW, when you pick a SLOW speed then take it back again by another 10-20 bpm and practice! It may seem tedious but this will give you time to think about every movement you make, making each one more efficient the key. When it becomes second nature to the point you could do it flawlessly in time without thinking then bump the speed up, again not by much.

Over time you will notice a vast improvement in speed and accuracy.

As I said, I'm not much of a drummer so maybe some of the folks on here can give you a few more tips!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Chances are it's your technique. You're on the NUIM forum a lot I see, if you're around campus some day I can give you quick drill on speed building, for free of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

mp3guy wrote: »
    Chances are it's your technique. You're on the NUIM forum a lot I see, if you're around campus some day I can give you quick drill on speed building, for free of course.

Just saw that now, thanks, that would be great!

At your convenience of course, I'm about Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭mp3guy

What time? Wednesday would suit me best, before 11 or after like 6.

Advertisement