Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fillet of leg of lamb

• 30-03-2009 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭

hey havin a few friends over cos just moved into a new place,
    im makin dinner aswell and have a fillet of leg of lamb in the freezer.

i also have no idea what i should do with it!

Reicipies or ideas anyone?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 mlelsc

Well sincerely hoping that you're not feeding them today seeing as the lamb is in your freezer!
    Anyhow....remove from freezer.... Thaw out thoroughly. Am assuming you are feeding a total of 4 people here!)
    Make tiny incisions in the lamb leg and insert slivers of fresh garlic and small sprigs of rosemary. sprinkle *lightly* with pepper and salt.
    Roast at 170c allowing 20 minutes per kilogramme (2.24lbs) and 20 mins at the end. Pre heat your oven for 20 minutes also before putting in the lamb.
    Get a small tray and some baby new potatoes (you'll always find little bags of these in Lidl or the other supermarkets!
    Make life easy for yourself if you don't know how to make a nice gravy buy a packet of bisto chicken granules and follow instructions....Add in a wee bit of red wine to give it extra flavour and it will also hide the bisto taste....Also add a small spoon of mint sauce into the gravy and this way you will definitely fool your guests who will you are a brilliant chef! You'll need mint sauce anyway to serve with the lamb!
    Wash and dry the potatoes.
    Place in tray and dust lightly with salt and lots of cracked black pepper. Throw on a few sprigs of rosemary and pour a tiny amount of olive oil (or veg Oil if you don't have olive oil) over the potatoes and roast them for 20 minutes.
    Peel and roughly chop some carrots and parsnips and turnips....Lightly boil them (seperately) till softened but still with a bite!
    Remove and place on oven tray or casserole dish.
    Lightly drizzle a small amount of honey over the veggies(if you don't have honey,use sugar, a few knobs of butter and roast in the oven for approximately 30 minutes.
    *NOTE*
    I am making sure that you are utilising all your oven space hence saving you on your electricity bills!

Dessert: Lemon Mousse. (very quick, cheap and easy to make)!!!

1 Chivers Lemon Jelly.
    2 egg yolks
    2 egg whites
    5 ozs (125mls) lemon juice (try and use fresh + zest of lemon)
    1 oz (30 grams) sugar
    1/2 pint cream (250 mls)

Method:
    Melt the jelly in the lemon juice along with the zest (if using zest)
    whip the egg yolks with the sugar and pout the hot lemon liquid on to the yoolks.
    Leave to cool but not set!
    Whip cream
    When the lemon mix is cooled and starting to set whisk the egg whites
    Fold the whisked egg whites into the cream (do this carefully but lightly!)
    Fold the cream/egg white mix lightly and very carefully into the lemon mix.
    Place in glasses or bowl.
    Chill in fridge for an hour.
    Decorate with small fresh mint leaves or whipped cream and maybe grated chocolate or even a flake!
    Serves 4 generous portions!

As you might have guessed I am a chef! Any problems or queris get back to me...And Good Luck with the party!
    Another tip: Get as much done the day before...Even precook the carrots etc the day before.......(not the potatoes though!) Infuse the lamb with the garlic and rosemary too and leave covered in your fridge.
    Dessert can also be made the day beforehand but is better if made and eaten on the same day!
    Do you need a starter also? If so just shout!!!!!

Well sincerely hoping that you're not feeding them today seeing as the lamb is in your freezer!
    Anyhow....remove from freezer....
    Make tiny incisions in the lamb leg and insert slivers of fresh garlic and small sprigs of rosemary. sprinkle *lightly* with pepper and salt.
    Roast at 170c allowing 20 minutes per kilogramme (2.24lbs) and 20 mins at the end. Pre heat your oven for 20 minutes also before putting in the lamb.
    Get a small tray and some baby new potatoes (you'll always find little bags of these in Lidl or the other supermarkets!
    Wash and dry the potatoes.
    Place in tray and dust lightly with salt and lots of cracked black pepper. Throw on a few sprigs of rosemary and pour a tiny amount of olive oil (or veg Oil if you don't have olive oil) over the potatoes and roast them for 20 minutes.
    Peel and roughly chop some carrots and parsnips and turnips....Lightly boil them (seperately) till softened but still with a bite!
    Remove and place on oven tray or casserole dish.
    Lightly drizzle a small amount of honey over the veggies(if you don't have honey,use sugar, a few knobs of butter and roast in the oven for approximately 30 minutes.
    *NOTE*
    I am making sure that you are utilising all your oven space hence saving you on your electricity bills!

Dessert: Lemon Mousse. (very quick, cheap and easy to make)!!!

1 Chivers Lemon Jelly.
    2 egg yolks
    2 egg whites
    5 ozs (125mls) lemon juice (try and use fresh + zest of lemon)
    1 oz (30 grams) sugar
    1/2 pint cream (250 mls)

Method:
    Melt the jelly in the lemon juice along with the zest (if using zest)
    whip the egg yolks with the sugar and pout the hot lemon liquid on to the yoolks.
    Leave to cool but not set!
    Whip cream
    When the lemon mix is cooled and starting to set whisk the egg whites
    Fold the whisked egg whites into the cream (do this carefully but lightly!)
    Fold the cream/egg white mix lightly and very carefully into the lemon mix.
    Place in glasses or bowl.
    Chill in fridge for an hour.
    Decorate with small fresh mint leaves or whipped cream and maybe grated chocolate or even a flake!
    Serves 4 generous portions!

As you might have guessed I am a chef! Any problems or queries get back to me...And Good Luck with the party!
    Another tip: Get as much done the day before...Even precook the carrots etc the day before.......(not the potatoes though!) Infuse the lamb with the garlic and rosemary too and leave covered in your fridge.
    Dessert can also be made the day beforehand but is better if made and eaten on the same day!
    Do you need a starter also? If so just shout!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,054 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I'd pretty much do the same as above but I wonder about the cooking time/temperature. There is no mention of how that will cook/undercook/overcook the lamb.

Very much agree with the garlic and rosemary

Personally I find that for lamb the following works.

Calculate cooking time at 18 mins per 500g.
    Preheat oven to 240.
    Put lamb in at this temp for 15 mins
    Turn oven down to 200 for rest of cooking.
    Let lamb rest, covered in foil and a towel for 15 mins (or more if other stuff isn't ready)

This should cook the lamb just under medium (a little pink in the centre)
    16 min per 500g for rare (the way I like it)
    20 min per 500g for well done.

As you might have guessed, I'm not a chef!

If you put the lamb in at this temp. it will shrink considerably! Always better to preheat oven and cook at 170c to 180c as longer slower cooking is always far better.
    Pork 30 mins to 454grms
    Bacon 30 mins to 454 grms
    Beef 20 mins to 454grms
    Lamb 20 mins to 454 grms
    and always allow whatever the cooking times above are to the end of the cooking....i.e. 20 mins to the lb or 454grms....so 1 kilo.....lamb= 40 mins+ 20mins.

mlelsc wrote: »
    If you put the lamb in at this temp. it will shrink considerably! Always better to preheat oven and cook at 170c to 180c as longer slower cooking is always far better.
    Pork 30 mins to 454grms
    Bacon 30 mins to 454 grms
    Beef 20 mins to 454grms
    Lamb 20 mins to 454 grms
    and always allow whatever the cooking times above are to the end of the cooking....i.e. 20 mins to the lb or 454grms....so 1 kilo.....lamb= 40 mins+ 20mins.

There is no one cooking time for meat - it depends on how well you want it cooked.
    I disagree, I like to roast fast and hot unless I'm slow roasting that is.
    You'll never get good roast spuds at 170c!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,784 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

mlelsc wrote: »
    Roast at 170c allowing 20 minutes per kilogramme (2.24lbs) and 20 mins at the end.

mlelsc - Would this cooking time per weight actually cook the meat through? I would normally use a similar guideline for roasting, but if would be 20 mins per lb.

PS - I'm not a chef either.

Hill Billy wrote: »
    mlelsc - Would this cooking time per weight actually cook the meat through? I would normally use a similar guideline for roasting, but if would be 20 mins per lb.

PS - I'm not a chef either.

I think he meant per lb there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

Fillet leg of lamb????
    wht the hell is that

Mr.Boots wrote: »
    Fillet leg of lamb????
    wht the hell is that

If you take a leg of lamb and cut it in half you have the shank end and the fillet.
    It is misleading as no other kind of fillet we generally speak of comes from the leg of the animal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Marinade in garlic, olive oil and rosemary and bbq it. hahm.

• Advertisement

olaola wrote: »
    Marinade in garlic, olive oil and rosemary and bbq it. hahm.

Boned, I presume?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

Rub the lamb in coarse sea salt, make incisions with a sharp knife along the meat and stuff with fresh garlic. Finally drizzle olive oil and rosemary and roast.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Mine is currently marinating in an olive oil/orange juice/rosemary/garlic mix.

I find it adds a nice flavour without taking from the wonderful natural flavour from the lamb.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Name Changed

Lamb kleftiko.

http://www.grouprecipes.com/27278/lamb-kleftiko.html

Use rosemary instead of oregano. Fantastic.

Depending on whether you want your lamb pink or well done...if well done allow 20 mins per lb (454 grms)

Advertisement