Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help! Ultra zoom or DSLR?

• 30-03-2009 4:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Hi there,

I hope someone can offer me some advice.
    I'm looking for a camera with a decent zoom, primarily to take photos at gigs and equestrian competitions. I don't need anything too fancy, I just want to be able to get reasonable quality snaps with good colour and a fairly substantial zoom.
    I was considering ultra zoom cameras, as they are still quite small and light, but have 18x-20x optical zooms. I've been checking out camera reviews online and have spoken to a couple of photo shop staff members bt remain confused! Some of the people I spoke to implied that ultra zoom compacts may not be suitable for low light or action shots.

Does anyone know of a good ultra zoom that might be suited to my needs, or would I have to go to SLR territory?

Please help a very confused person :)

Mar.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

Schnork wrote: »
    Hi there,

I hope someone can offer me some advice.
    I'm looking for a camera with a decent zoom, primarily to take photos at gigs and equestrian competitions. I don't need anything too fancy, I just want to be able to get reasonable quality snaps with good colour and a fairly substantial zoom.
    I was considering ultra zoom cameras, as they are still quite small and light, but have 18x-20x optical zooms. I've been checking out camera reviews online and have spoken to a couple of photo shop staff members bt remain confused! Some of the people I spoke to implied that ultra zoom compacts may not be suitable for low light or action shots.

Does anyone know of a good ultra zoom that might be suited to my needs, or would I have to go to SLR territory?

Please help a very confused person :)

Mar.

Hi there. Sadly, I'm afraid you're going to need something quite fancy. Point and shoot cameras, even those with moderate zoom functions, perform poorly under low light. Blur abounds I'm afraid! Add to that the fact that gigs are usually dark, and a point and shoot is a no-go I'm afraid.

DSLRs, if you can contend with camera shake, perform better; this is largely due to the fact that long focal lengths are combined with low f-stop numbers, or large apertures (whichever you prefer). For example, a 200mm lens with a 2.8 aperture allows for a long reach while still letting in decent amounts of light; this allows for a) correct exposure, and b) the elimination of subject-matter movement and camera shake by affording the selection of a fast shutter speed. Of course, alot depends on the focal length and the max aperture - the bigger focal length and aperture, the better (but ore costly the lens).

Most of the guys here shoot gigs with a 50mm lens by getting close to the action.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Normally I advise Bridge Cameras but that would not do what you are looking for.
    You do not need a fancy body but you will require a fast lens. So you may want to look at an entry level Nikon or Canon DSLR along with a 50mm Prime lens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

you are really getting into DSLR world here for more reasons than the zoom. Gig certainly and I suspect Equestrian photography are both challenging for the light handling capabilities of the camera equipment. DSLR's are simply engineered better and offer better capacities to deal with such environments. The sensor sizes in DSLR's are generally speaking vastly bigger and the resultant image quality will simply be better (all things being equal). But to get into it in all seriousness will involve investing in great lens(s) - such that the aperture is as low a value as possible and therefore exposing the sensor to as much light as can be stuffed into the sensor chamber. At such a point you may pay an arm, leg and torso to get an appropriate lens - if you are gung ho on having the zoom capability. The alternatives tend to be the primes which bang for buck are far better. From what has been posted here in the past the 50mm f1.7 (or lower) is a regular weapon of choice for gigs. With such a lens you are zooming with your feet or croping the image after the event. It's an ok option - perhaps not perfect but ok. With the gig's and i presume equestrian flash won't be an option so you need something that can get as much light as possible. Even the advanced design of DSLR's are likely to struggle with auto focus in a gig environment so if considering anything else then I wouldn't hold too much hope for spectacular results. Many of the Gig shooters around here use manual focus the entire time which if thinking of the kinda cameras that have 20x zooms is usually difficult to achieve.

Because of the above suggestion is to get into DSLR territory, buy a 50mm f1.7 which will be relatively cheap and build up your zoom lens thereafter as budget allows.

Don't get me wrong - the 20x zoom devices have their place - are usually neat and tidy which the DSLR is most definitely not, and good for being unobtrusive in your photography. But I can't imagine using a 20x zoom on a P&S and being able to get enough light onto the sensor to give a good result - never mind what the shake/blur would be like the full way out at 20x zoom.

Hope that helps.

CabanSail wrote: »
    So you may want to look at an entry level Nikon or Canon DSLR along with a 50mm Prime lens.

50mm aint much of a zoomer!

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    Because of the above suggestion is to get into DSLR territory, buy a 50mm f1.7 which will be relatively cheap and build up your zoom lens thereafter as budget allows.

Sorry to be anal, but for clarity's sake, is there a common f1.7 50mm prime? I think the usual Canons and Nikons - nifty fifties - are f1.8.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭Ciaran_Dub

TelePaul wrote: »
    50mm aint much of a zoomer!

I dont think it was being suggested that the 50mm was a zoom. As the poster said you would zoom with your feet or crop afterwards. But the 50mm is a great option because of it low f number which as you quite rightly pointed out is f1.8 for a canon, not sure about nikon.

By the way I am new around here....Hi!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Schnork

Hey all,

Thanks very much for so many great replies... plenty to think about there!
    Not the easy answer I was looking for though, haha! More research to be done methinks...

Cheers everyone!

Mar.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Sorry to be anal, but for clarity's sake, is there a common f1.7 50mm prime? I think the usual Canons and Nikons - nifty fifties - are f1.8.

it tis, i was shocked, lots of the ol phenix and the sort used 1.7 for some reason...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭Ciaran_Dub

Schnork wrote: »
    Hey all,

Thanks very much for so many great replies... plenty to think about there!
    Not the easy answer I was looking for though, haha! More research to be done methinks...

Cheers everyone!

Mar.

Schnork,

I never really answered your question. Firstly what the other guys is saying I couldnt agree with more. I had a Fuji 5500 bridge camera with a telephoto conversion lens on it. I took pics at the Fa cup final in 06 and its great to have them for prosperity but they are not great. I currently have a Fuji s9600 and again great camera but selling it to upgrade to DSLR. My dad got the Canon 450d last year and I must say I was sold the first photo I took on it. So I am looking to get on enow myself.

I know it seems like a big investment but I think it woulf be worth it in the long run. Even have a look at the very basic DSLR like the canon 1000D. Also look at the second hand market. I honestly wish I hant bought the Fuji from my dad really wish I went straight for the Canon. Buyers remorse :o

C

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Mine's a Pentax 50mm f1.7 - a true beaut of a lens. Not much use on a nikon or canon though. Nearly sure my second one, a Rikenon (again donkeys years old) is a f1.7 too.

This is actually mine - knew I had it photographed; You can see the aperture ring with f2.8 followed by f1.7. Meh - would have loved the f1.4 but could never get to it quickly and cheaply enough on eBay :)

52ACEDA27D8141C0A47A867D8E5CBBB0-800.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement