Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

bangkok hotel and websites

• 30-03-2009 4:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭

hey!

Im heading to Thailand in june and looking for a really nice(4 and 5 star) hotel in Bangkok for me and my girlfriend to chill out it before we head down south with our mates. I have been looking at the Lebua State Towers as it looks amazing, with amazing rooms and views. Have a look here:

http://bangkok.lebua.com/gallery-en.html

It has good reviews on trip advisor too. The cheapest ive found is 167e a night.

Im wondering if anyone knows any websites with deals discounts?

Also if you have any recommendations to other hotels in bangkok id love to hear them! If we cant find cheaper we will prob go with the above but we would preferably like to stay somewhere amazing for between 70-120 a night!

Cheers!:pac:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭ThE_IVIAcIVIAIV

wow thats expensive, i was in a 4* hotel and it was like 1000 baht which is around 24 euro a room per night and it was amazing, so i think you could find alot of hotels for under 50 a night that will be amazing for you and your girlfriend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

wow thats expensive, i was in a 4* hotel and it was like 1000 baht which is around 24 euro a room per night and it was amazing, so i think you could find alot of hotels for under 50 a night that will be amazing for you and your girlfriend

have you got any recomendations?

I know you can get nice places for next to nothing in thailand but we are willing to spend a little extra since we will only be in bangkok for 1 or two nights! We will be "slumming" it when we get down south! Slumming meaning paying 5-15 euro a night!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

€167 a night sounds a bit over the odds for a 5* in BKK. Check out www.asiarooms.com , you should get an excellent hotel there for a bit less than the current quote.
    I'd advise that no matter where you book to try to stay close to a SkyTrain station as many attractions ( especially shopping ! )in the city are near the line. The Royal Palace and Reclining Buddha are the exception to this but are still only a 20-30 minute taxi ride away.
    I'd also say that the difference between a 4 and 5* in BKK can be arbitary- both tend to be quite luxurious places. If you choose a 4* you'll tend to save on price and still be in the lap of luxury regardless.

If you wanted true decadence for two nights then this place is considered one of the finest hotels in the world, it will cost more than your current budget though
    http://www.mandarinoriental.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

where and how long ago was this?

OP, I'd stay in one of the riverside hotels, as close to the Saphan Thaksin Sky Train station as possible. The 5 star hotels here would supply you with a shuttle to the station anyway I'd imagine so I guess that's not that big a deal.

I've never stayed in any of the hotels along the river but it sounds like exactly what you're looking for. Most are within your budget, bump it up a bit to stay in the Shangri-La or as RATM has said why not splash out and go for the Oriental?

:pac:

RATM wrote: »
    €167 a night sounds a bit over the odds for a 5* in BKK. Check out www.asiarooms.com , you should get an excellent hotel there for a bit less than the current quote.
    I'd advise that no matter where you book to try to stay close to a SkyTrain station as many attractions ( especially shopping ! )in the city are near the line. The Royal Palace and Reclining Buddha are the exception to this but are still only a 20-30 minute taxi ride away.
    I'd also say that the difference between a 4 and 5* in BKK can be arbitary- both tend to be quite luxurious places. If you choose a 4* you'll tend to save on price and still be in the lap of luxury regardless.

If you wanted true decadence for two nights then this place is considered one of the finest hotels in the world, it will cost more than your current budget though
    http://www.mandarinoriental.com/

I was talking to my girlfriend last night and it seems we both have our mind set on Lebua State Towers:D Do you think it would be okay to arrive at night(around 8 o clock) and just ask for a room without a booking? Also would it be cheaper than online? It has everything we are looking for, sky train, river views and amazing rooms with a nice balcony! oh and rain showers:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

ChillyWilly,

I've been travelling to BKK for over 10 years on business and lived there for 3 years. Without a shadow of doubt if I was going back to chill for a few days with my wife I'd book into the Marriott Resort and Spa which is just across the river from the Oriental mentioned above. It has a fantastic pool and garden area and the very best Sunday buffet in the entire world as far as I'm concerned and I generally HATE buffets. They include a free bloody mary and cocktail bar in the buffet price and the food is really very good. Expats who live in BKK and who want to treat themselves to a top Sunday lunch will go there and that is a high recommendation given the amount of 5 star hotels and restaurants in BKK. See http://www.bangkok.com/marriott and http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/bkkth-bangkok-marriott-resort-and-spa

If you need the comfort of a reservation before you travel then I suggest you call the hotel direct (remember they are 7 - 8 hours ahead of us) give them the dates you want and ask them to quote you for a room. Their standard rooms will be fantastic so don't fall into the trap of paying a premium for a 'suite' etc. When they give you a price tell them they are a lot more expensive than the Shangi La (another 5 star luxury hotel right across from them) and tell them you need a better price or you'll stay in the Shangri La. If/when they give you a better price say they are still too expensive and thet you'd need a better room for that price. If they give you a free upgrade at a lower price then you're doing well. If they hold firm on the price ask them to include collection by limo from the airport and return to the airport in the price (worth doing as BKK taxis take some getting used to!!) and if they won't go for that or anything else then you really are getting their best price so decide whether or not it is in your budget and just book it if it is. Don't book online if you want the best price and/or an upgrade or some freebies thrown in.

If you stay in the Marriott Resort and Spa I guarantee you'll be overwhelmed and you'll earn lots of brownie points from your GF.

If you do go I'd suggest getting the Hotel barge over to the BTS station across the river (BTS is their LUAS/DART) and hire one of the long tail boats to do a tour of the city by canal. It usually lasts an hour and yourself and your GF should be able to hire the boat (with driver) for around 1,000 Baht which is =/- €20 or 1,500 max. You get to see the real BKK from the inside out, it's a great option if you want to more than just chill by the pool and visit a few temples.

If you were really brave you could just turn up on the doorstep of the Marriott and see what sort of deal you can negotiate on the day but I'd only do that if you can't get a decent rate by phone. I reckon US$150 a night per room is the most you should pay and that should includ their beakfast.

UPDATE: I just checked the Marriott online price and for a king room on a high floor checking in Wednesday June 17th checking out Saturday the 20th and the price is €250 inc Govt taxes. I think this excludes breakfast but if you call them direct and get this price then ask them to throw in breakfast and you'll book you'll get it. I would also request the hotel limo (5 series BMW if I remember correctly) to collect you and return you to the airport. It will probably cost you €25 each way Vs €15 in what could be a dodgy taxi so well worth it in my opinion.

Hope this helps.

Ben

BenEadir wrote: »
    ChillyWilly,

I've been travelling to BKK for over 10 years on business and lived there for 3 years. Without a shadow of doubt if I was going back to chill for a few days with my wife I'd book into the Marriott Resort and Spa which is just across the river from the Oriental mentioned above. It has a fantastic pool and garden area and the very best Sunday buffet in the entire world as far as I'm concerned and I generally HATE buffets. They include a free bloody mary and cocktail bar in the buffet price and the food is really very good. Expats who live in BKK and who want to treat themselves to a top Sunday lunch will go there and that is a high recommendation given the amount of 5 star hotels and restaurants in BKK. See http://www.bangkok.com/marriott and http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/bkkth-bangkok-marriott-resort-and-spa

If you need the comfort of a reservation before you travel then I suggest you call the hotel direct (remember they are 7 - 8 hours ahead of us) give them the dates you want and ask them to quote you for a room. Their standard rooms will be fantastic so don't fall into the trap of paying a premium for a 'suite' etc. When they give you a price tell them they are a lot more expensive than the Shangi La (another 5 star luxury hotel right across from them) and tell them you need a better price or you'll stay in the Shangri La. If/when they give you a better price say they are still too expensive and thet you'd need a better room for that price. If they give you a free upgrade at a lower price then you're doing well. If they hold firm on the price ask them to include collection by limo from the airport and return to the airport in the price (worth doing as BKK taxis take some getting used to!!) and if they won't go for that or anything else then you really are getting their best price so decide whether or not it is in your budget and just book it if it is. Don't book online if you want the best price and/or an upgrade or some freebies thrown in.

If you stay in the Marriott Resort and Spa I guarantee you'll be overwhelmed and you'll earn lots of brownie points from your GF.

If you do go I'd suggest getting the Hotel barge over to the BTS station across the river (BTS is their LUAS/DART) and hire one of the long tail boats to do a tour of the city by canal. It usually lasts an hour and yourself and your GF should be able to hire the boat (with driver) for around 1,000 Baht which is =/- €20 or 1,500 max. You get to see the real BKK from the inside out, it's a great option if you want to more than just chill by the pool and visit a few temples.

If you were really brave you could just turn up on the doorstep of the Marriott and see what sort of deal you can negotiate on the day but I'd only do that if you can't get a decent rate by phone. I reckon US$150 a night per room is the most you should pay and that should includ their beakfast.

UPDATE: I just checked the Marriott online price and for a king room on a high floor checking in Wednesday June 17th checking out Saturday the 20th and the price is €250 inc Govt taxes. I think this excludes breakfast but if you call them direct and get this price then ask them to throw in breakfast and you'll book you'll get it. I would also request the hotel limo (5 series BMW if I remember correctly) to collect you and return you to the airport. It will probably cost you €25 each way Vs €15 in what could be a dodgy taxi so well worth it in my opinion.

Hope this helps.

Ben

cheers for that, some great info;)

I like the idea of ringing and trying to get afew things thrown in! And the boat trip sounds like a must!!

Anything else you would recommend?:D

ChillyWilly,

If you get the barge across to the BTS station I mentioned earlier you can then get the BTS all the way out to the Chatuchak Weekend Market which is truly amazing and a real insight into Thai life if you want one. It has over 5,000 stalls and is the bifggest market of it's kind in the world. If you want travelling clothes (tee shirts, shorts, sandals etc) don't buy before you go, buy there and haggle hard. As a tourist you will be referred to as a "Farang" and everything will be priced accordingly. As a rule of thumb offer 50% of whats being asked and walk away if it's not accepted. If you really want to look the part of an experienced traveller say "Thaw Rai?" which means how much. That usually indicates you are used to buying stuff locally and the price you are then quated will be closer to what the real local price will be. It will still likely be higher than the locals pay but you're only talking €1-€2 for most things so not worth sweating about. Walk away plenty of times to get a feel for what the bottom line price is and then buy once you are comfortable you're not getting ripped off. EVERYTHING is fake so please don't pay over the odds for 'genuine' camel shorts, RayBan Shades, Addida tops etc. It's ALL fake, costs very little to produce and won't stand up to serious wear and tear the way the real stuff would. Having said that fake tee shirts, shorts and sandals will still last long enough as they are made from the same basic materials as the real stuff. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chatuchak_weekend_market

You are only going to be there for a couple of days so other than that see a few temples and the grand palace. Go to PatPong or Soi Cowboy if you want to experience the whole girlie bar scene but be careful as it's full of pick pockets and people generally looking to rip you off. It's not my cup of tea so decide for yourself but keep safe and don't fall for any taxi drivers or tuk tuk drivers ofering to bring you somewhere you don't want to go to get a better deal or special pricing for something or cheap diamonds. It may sound obvious but you'd be surprised how many otherwise sound people get ripped off by stupid scams every year. Also, avoid the tuk tuks unless you like living dangerously, especially in or just after it has rained as they can flip over (three wheeled) and you'll be thrown out. When in taxis ALWAYS make sure the meter is turned on and get out if the driver won't turn it on. Don't make any exceptions.

Also, eat real Thai food when you're there. I wouldn't advise eating off the stalls on the street unless you have a particularly strong stomach but do eat in the little side street restaurants with air con etc. Freshly prepared Thai food is superb.

If you try to do too much you won't get the benefit of the Marriott which is designed to be relaxing and to chill out in for the day. If you want to rush around 'seeing' everything you'd be as well of to stay in a €10 a night hostel on Khao San Road see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khaosan_Road

Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭kopijacked

I'm going to Bangkok in June also so thanks Ben for the information above! Very helpful!

Will be arriving in Bangkok and then looking to join a 5-7 day tour that will give me a good visit around Thailand:)

Kopijacked and Chillywilly,

How were your respective trips to Bangkok? Was the advice I gave of any use to you?

Ben

• Advertisement
Advertisement