Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy seeds

Options
  • 30-03-2009 5:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭

I'm getting an allotment this week. Completely new to growing so I'll be starting easy - potatoes, peas, beans, leafy plants and a section for fruit - raspberry, blueberry, blackcurrant. A friend is giving me some seedlings for sweetcorn which will be nice too.

I know I can get the fruit bushes in any garden centre (I usually go to Johnstown) but where's the best place to get seeds for the rest? Are the B&Q ones any good? And where's the cheapest?

And any advice on getting started is perfectly welcome :)

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Did you have a look here http://www.plant-world-seeds.com, I read somewhere that they were well regarded

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Gordon Gekko

The Organic Centre in Leitrim has a large selection of vegetable seeds which they deliver by mail order. Mr. Middleton in Dublin do Thompson and Morgan seeds which are good.

If you're just starting out though any seeds from a garden centre etc. would be fine - you can search for different varieties/more exotic seeds next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭ELP

I was told the seeds for aldi or lidi were more commercial than the rest so should be easier to grow and more resistant to disease

• Registered Users Posts: 47 winnie the poo

i got loads of seeds in aldi there last week. carrot, beetroot, parsnip, basil, corriander and lettuce to name but a few. all 69cent each. exellent value if you ask me. there 2.50 in tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭puheen

+1 for aldi and lidl when starting off. great value and results.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Try Ebay.co.uk - very good value, some more unusual stuff too (snowball turnips anyone?), search for A1 Gardens Online or Premier Seeds Direct.

Advertisement