Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS3 out of warranty

Options
  • 30-03-2009 5:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I bought a PS3 just over a year and a half ago and have had nothing but trouble with the thing.
    2 days after the year warranty ran out the HDD went and I have since had to replace the lense twice on the blu ray drive.

The fault with the lense is well documented.Alot of PS3's get this fault(a quick google will show hundreds of posts on forums from all over the world)

Surely Sony should not be allowed something that has a good chance of going faulty?And do I have any come back even though my warranty is out of date and the fact that I done the repairs.

Just sent an email to Sony support to see what their reply is(I had to edit after I calmed down as there was more expletives in it than queens english:) )

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Blue_Wolf

Shouldnt be any problem getting it repaired by them but they will probably charge you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

They said that the warranty was out and I would have to pay them to get it fixed.It was much cheaper to fix it myself.At least Microsoft had the decency to extend there warranty to 3 years for the RROD fault on the xbox 360.

ah well it be the last sony bit of kit I will ever buy!(like they care!)

Thanks anyhow

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭Elessar

I would expect a lot more than a year and a half from a playstation 3!

Their warranty has nothing to do with your statutory rights. Contact them and inform them of the sale of goods and supply of services act, that you have a reasonable expectation for a Playstation 3 to last longer than what it did and threaten the small claims court. It'll likely fall on deaf ears.

So if they don't budge, file a claim online with the SCC.

It is entirely reasonable that you should expect a games console to last longer. I'd say you have a 100% chance of winning a case like that. In fact, they probably won't even contest. Ask for a replacement.

Remember, warranties are relatively meaningless under consumer law in this country.

Ellessar that was what I was thinking.Although I have read the small print and it does say that warranty is void if 'tampered' with.Will be interesting to see what they say.I would like to think that something that cost 400euro would last longer.

theres also a post on this forum about a PS3 that is 9 months old and the blu ray has gone too.

Small claims court costs nothing for me so maybe imight call there bluff nothing lost nothing gained, thanks again for the replys

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

EU law, all electronic goods have a warranty of 2 yrs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 mlelsc

My son is now on his 3rd PS3.....!st one went and was 1 day out of warranty but Sony covered it....Took them a year to get the game that was stuck in it back though from them!
    2nd one went 3 weeks ago.......He threathened to take them to small claims court...Finally a deal was struck and he paid over €150 and they gave him a new PS3 with an 80gb drive.......sony know they have problems with their PS3's so should admit to this....All the new ones anyway have 80gb drives or whatever the terminology is as the 60gb one was the one that was giving all the trouble. His mates all had major problems too!

think I might of shot meself in foot by fixing it myself but hell sure gotta give it a go.Out of 7 mates that have PS3's 4 have had faults with them(2x HDD and 2 with blu ray drive's giving up),
    will be interesting to see what they have to say any ways...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

the selller is responsible for the repair replacement or refund even after sony's warrenty ends! goods should be fit for porpose and reasonably durable and a gaming console costing €3-400 should last a bit longer than 2 years as long as it is not mistreated.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I'd say you voided the contract the moment you modded the PS3.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

the_syco wrote: »
    I'd say you voided the contract the moment you modded the PS3.
    This. Once you open the item you will have a very hard time to turn around and have any claims because all Sony has to say is that you caused the issue by opening it yourself.

• Advertisement
Advertisement