Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gordon Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares

Options
  • 30-03-2009 6:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭

Anyone else think this show is complete bullsh*t? Especially the US version. I can't give specific examples, but have seen a good few episodes, and used to quite enjoy it.

I only recently noticed that the outfits the staff are wearing change during the course of what is presented as the same evening, and often at the end, after the big transformation, the restaurant is still showing the pre-makeover decor.

Also, there are really massive fights followed by people working side by side as if nothing has happened a minute later. At the start of the credits, it says something to the effect that the show is edited so that things happen in a different sequence, but it is really taken to ridiculous extremes - so much so that the reality must have been totally different to what is being presented.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

The US version is very edited and the people eating in the restaurant are paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Oasis44

Yes the US version is pretty much 'fixed' by the producers but I have to say I watch it because I love watching Gordon Ramsey terrorising the dopey americans - the intelligance (or lack of) of some of these yanks is really scary. No wonder Gordon Ramsey is opening his own places over there after seeing the incompetence of the 'competition'.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Oh don't get me started on this. I'm a fan of Ramsey - he is likeable, yet a complete dick at the same time. He does know what he is talking about, and the people he helps should succeed with his advice.

The UK show is excellent. Uncensored, and more importantly - REAL. Its straight forward camera work, with real people and (for the most part!!) unscripted.

The US show is a completely over-produced Fox bull****. Glossy production, very formulaic -- restaurant failing, family fight / workers not getting on / insert other reason for failure here, Gordon arrives, he orders some food from their menu, hates it, observes the kitchen during a service, tries to change things, someone hates the changes and fights with him, 2nd service is worse than the first, restaurant gets makeover, 3rd service is miraculous, Gordon is the messiah. Hugs, crying, apologies. Job well done. Cut. Next episode, exact same formula.

Overproduction comes from sound effects (like a boinnng sound effect when someone does/says something stupid), a camera shake when Gordon throws something against the wall, and so on.

Hells Kitchen USA is guilty of the exact same overproduction.

Give me the UK version any day.... far far better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Of course its set up but its great to watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

seanybiker wrote: »
    Of course its set up but its great to watch.

Was watching it the other night, WAS enjoying it then........

Its just too set up!! no?
    The stage'd fight at the stage'd time when there is absolutely nothing to fight about

the storm off 10 mins before the end and back in 2 mins later

as Eric Morecambe would put it "Rubbish!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭ADTR

I love the US one. It's hilarious. Sure it follows a template, but so what! Plus online it's hilarious to find out what restaurants still closed despite the episodes help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭dez_warlock

It was in the paper yesterday about how most of the restaurants have actually closed down since doing the show in both the UK and US.

Most of the restauranteurs said they wish they never did the show as it cursed them and a few of them are homeless now apparently.

ADTR wrote: »
    I love the US one. It's hilarious. Sure it follows a template, but so what! Plus online it's hilarious to find out what restaurants still closed despite the episodes help!

show people a filthy kitchen
    gorden cleans it
    gorden leaves
    people just remember the filthy kitchen and swear never to go

bit obvious i would have thought?:o:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Trampas

The even said in the credits that the events in the show might not happen in order and people are paid to eat.

Great show all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Mr E wrote: »
    The US show is a completely over-produced Fox bull****. Glossy production, very formulaic -- restaurant failing, family fight / workers not getting on / insert other reason for failure here, Gordon arrives, he orders some food from their menu, hates it, observes the kitchen during a service, tries to change things, someone hates the changes and fights with him, 2nd service is worse than the first, restaurant gets makeover, 3rd service is miraculous, Gordon is the messiah. Hugs, crying, apologies. Job well done. Cut. Next episode, exact same formula.
    That's it exactly, it's so fake and formulaic that I've stopped tuning in. These type of shows should thrive on the whole unexpectedness and heat of a kitchen, instead each show is a carbon copy of the last.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

The UK one is fantastic, just normal people and a normal production, I even like the fact that it's Gordon himself that narrates it.

The US one is pure shoite in comparison, yet I still have to watch it! :) Even Ramsey acts completely different. What's with the jerking up and down while talking to the camera and the slapping of the hands all about? :confused:

Aidric wrote: »
    instead each show is a carbon copy of the last.

Never hurt the A Team!!!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Good website here with follow up on how they get on after the show ends.
    most are closed down

http://gordonramsayskitchen.com/

Good site. One of the restaurants tried taking Ramsey to court. This was in their official legal documentation:
    "24. Plantiff was aware before getting involved with Ramsay and the other Defendants that Ramsay is physically coercive(about 6′3″ and 220 pounds; a Captain in the British Special Forces (23rd SAS unit); a skilled practitioner of martial arts; and quite capable of defending himself against physical attack.

Ramsay has a reputation in Britain for being the, or one of the, most feared persons in Britian. Chef Ramsey [sic] is commonly regarded as the hardest man in Britian since he became the UK’s bare-knuckle champion last year, beating the current gypsy champion in a twenty two round marathon in a freight container yard in Hull."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Mr E wrote: »
    Good site. One of the restaurants tried taking Ramsey to court. This was in their official legal documentation:
    eh?

See link posted by jhegarty.
    I think it was on the Dillons link.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I have to say I like GR,

I really enjoy that show Hells Kitchen and as been said the UK version of Kitchen nightmares.

The US version is just a little too american for my liking and its much to easy too see the cracks i the editing.

I do still watch it though TBF

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Fletch123

I like the UK one because it's more of a study of people rather than a 'how to run a restaurant' show. These people are incredibly selfish, full of themselves, naive, meek, spendaholics or alcoholics. I sometimes feel bad tuning in to see what an awful state they've gotten themselves into. Did anyone see the most recent Kitchen Nightmares UK Special where the family restaurant was going to close down because the Dad was an a-hole getting his family into debt and emotionally and verbally abusing them at the same time? Very very sad.

US one is awful. I only watch the beginnings of them to see how terrible the place is. I hate the tears and hugs and declarations of love at the end. One of the restaurant owners was naming his baby after Ramsay. Bleh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭PullMyFinger!

To put this succinctly;

US Version: One of the the worst reality TV shows ever.

UK Version: One of the absolute best.

Advertisement