Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off License Closing Times

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

djpbarry wrote: »
    The report of the Government Alcohol Advisory Group (March 2008), upon which the Intoxicating Liquor Act 2008 was based, is available to download here (pdf file).

lol so much nonsense, I especially loved this part.
    The Group recommends that all licensees promote awareness and use of the Garda age card by demanding production of that card in preference to other forms of identification.

So these are the idiots responsible for me needing a garda age card when I'm 25 to buy alcohol in some stores (I know they only recommended it but why was it recommended when it is nonsense).

I have no problems providing id but to say that my drivers license or passport are not valid forms of id or are somehow not equal to a garda age card for proof of age is idiotic at best. The garda age card serves no purpose and should be scraped. Have a proper citizen id card that can store your driver license information on it too and make it fit in a bloody wallet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

liberal wrote: »
    Hi lads,

This is my first post.

Could anyone explain to me the mechanics behind how the government changed the opening hours of Off Licences from 11pm to 10pm?

Which politicians put forward the idea and which suppourted it? Did anyone oppose it? Who does it serve? I have a theory that it came about due to pressure from the Vintners Association, I pressume this simply because I can't see any other group that it serves (pardon the pun), it blantantly has no impact on underage drinking as the under-agers are all ready well plastered by 10pm having got the drink earlier (when i was a young roughian we used to get our drink days in advance).

I'd be satisfied with even one good reason for the change, but I can't think of one.

Thanks and forgive my poor spelling!

I dont know about if closing is helpful but i think the fact that off licenses now open later has done some good in that its harder for people to get a drink earlier in the morning

Bob Z wrote: »
    I dont know about if closing is helpful but i think the fact that off licenses now open later has done some good in that its harder for people to get a drink earlier in the morning

Yeah, because everyone was dying for that drink in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

:confused: Why is that good?

You've actually reminded me of this section of the report, which appears to be rather contradictory:
    3.14 The Group notes that off-sales of alcohol on Sundays are permitted only after half past midday. This means that people who may purchase groceries or newspapers earlier in the day are not permitted to purchase alcohol products. The Group considers that this amounts to an inconvenience rather than a meaningful restriction on the availability of alcohol and recommends that the 10.30 a.m. to 10.00 p.m. time limit apply to off-licences and mixed trading premises on both weekdays and Sundays.

3.15 While mixed trading premises are bound by the same closing times as off-licences, current rules permit mixed trading premises to sell alcohol from 7.30 a.m. on weekdays, i.e. 3 hours before the commencement of normal trading hours. The Group considers that such early-morning sales of alcohol should no longer be permitted and recommends that off-sales between 7.30 a.m. and 10.30 a.m. be prohibited.
    This doesn’t make any sense. Alcohol should be available before 12.30 p.m. on Sundays to avoid any inconvenience to consumers, but it should be unavailable before 10.30 a.m. Why? These times seem to me to be completely arbitrary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I can tell you have never worked night shifts. I remember coming out of Intel a few years ago after doing a shift. It was about 7am in the morning, and all I wanted was a nice cold beer before I got my head down. I had an almight argument with the guy behind the counter in Statoil because he would not let me buy one can of lager. It wasnt his fault of course, but the law is idiotic.

I learnt the hard way to always have cans in the fridge, but why are they called convenience stores if you can only buy certain items when some 85 year old pioneer in dublin says you can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Virtually every premises with an off-licence will have a case of drinkable beer at a sub €20 price most times you go into them. Why would anyone bother doing anything but stocking up at home these days? I know I've two different cases of beer at home at the moment...

Sleepy wrote: »
    Virtually every premises with an off-licence will have a case of drinkable beer at a sub €20 price most times you go into them. Why would anyone bother doing anything but stocking up at home these days? I know I've two different cases of beer at home at the moment...

Party in yours then!

Virtually every premises with an off-licence will have a case of drinkable beer at a sub €20 price most times you go into them. Why would anyone bother doing anything but stocking up at home these days?
    I don't know about you, but I don't really want to be hauling a case of beer home with me from the shops. I just buy what I can carry (with the rest of the groceries).

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

djpbarry wrote: »
    I don't know about you, but I don't really want to be hauling a case of beer home with me from the shops. I just buy what I can carry (with the rest of the groceries).
    Oh, I agree that the policy is worthless and that the legistlation wouldn't have been passed in a nation where they didn't elect their publicans to rule the country. Just that it's easily circumvented. TBH, I haven't actually noticed the impact of this on me to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

It has had a very noticeable impact on me, and anyone who works night shifts. I work in the banqueting department of a hotel and when i finish work, i don't have the option of buying a few beers to have at home with friends. It's the most ridiculous law enacted in some time (and Fianna Fail have been in charge for 12 years, so thats some achievement!)

• Advertisement

Oh, I agree that the policy is worthless and that the legistlation wouldn't have been passed in a nation where they didn't elect their publicans to rule the country. Just that it's easily circumvented. TBH, I haven't actually noticed the impact of this on me to date.
    Fair enough, but it has had an impact on me and I've already written to the Minister to voice my protest (I suggest others do the same). I often work late (until about 21:30 - 22:00) and, as I said earlier, I simply don't have the means to get cases of beer home, so I just buy what I can carry (or what I intend to drink).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    Yeah, because everyone was dying for that drink in the morning.

Yes i know 1 or 2 people who would start drinking as soon the off license would open(most times they would get served earlier). They were glad when they couldnt get served that early anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Steviemak

Yes i know 1 or 2 people who would start drinking as soon the off license would open(most times they would get served earlier). They were glad when they couldnt get served that early anymore.

So idiots like that should spoil it for everyone else?? Why not close Off licences altogether - that way your friends would be delighted :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Advise them to go to AA if they have much of a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

What do you expect when you have raving conservatives like Mary Hanifin and Brian Lenihan sitting at the cabinet table ?

Advertisement