Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

federal 64grain

Options
  • 30-03-2009 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭

well lads ,am looking for peoples opinons on the federal 64 grain soft point ammo in .223 ,anyone use it?
    find it any use?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭dos29

Haven't used them. My only comment would be if you have a 1 in 12 twist, probably forget about it. If you have a 1 in 9 or something similar they'll probably be golden.
    I tried 62gr Remington match a while back in a 1 in 12 twist and it wouldn't stabilise enough. Just a thought in case you weren't already aware of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Tikkat3

endasmail wrote: »
    well lads ,am looking for peoples opinons on the federal 64 grain soft point ammo in .223 ,anyone use it?
    find it any use?

I used the Power-shok 64gr in my Tikka Tactical and they shot well, it has an 8" twist and I have used 75gr Hornady through it too with good results.

Guess it will all boil down to your twist rate.

I have not shot anything below 55gr though and have had no problems so have steered clear of the lighter rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

I tested some in my cz varmint 1 in9 twist as i was going to scotland to shoot roe next month..They shot very well..around 3/4 inch..
    I shot a few foxes with them with good results...
    I prefer hornady vmax though...40 gn

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

sorry for interupting lads:) whats the heaviest you could shoot in a 1 in 12 twist whilst holding stability? Heaviest I have used is 55 grain and seem fine too.. Thanks again

kay 9 wrote: »
    sorry for interupting lads:) whats the heaviest you could shoot in a 1 in 12 twist whilst holding stability? Heaviest I have used is 55 grain and seem fine too.. Thanks again
    55gn is the around the max for a 1in 12 but I have heard of lads getting away with the 63/64gn bullets.
    Get a box and give them a go..shoot them into paper at 100 then 200 yds..if the holes are perfectly round the bullet is stable..If the hole is like a keyhole the bullet is not stable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

I tired the Federal 64gr SP in my CZ Varmint 1-9 twist and found they did not group as well as the Federal 55gr V-Shok. I must try them out again soon.

I'm shooting the Federal 40gr V-Shok in the gun now. It's every flat shooting and getting good groups at 100, 200 and 300m

Thanks Dwighet fo that info about trying them on paper. I have another question if you dont mind:) Could you tell me the main agvantages of the heavier grain in comparison to your standard 40 grain? I use 40 grain v-max on foxy too and find them plenty good. Thanks again:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

The heavier bullits carry more weight down the range and therefore more energy than a lighter bullit. When it hits whatever it hits it has this energy to do the damage.

EG. A bus and a mini car are traveling at 5 mph without the handbrake on, you try to stop each vehicle the bus takes more stopping. The bus being of a heavier weight will have more energy in the mass of the object.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

very well put clive

http://www.federalpremium.com/products/compare/rifle_compare.aspx

click on compare with the 40 grain v-shock and click compare on the 64gn power shock.. then click the compare box in the top right corner

you will notice that the 64 gn carries around 100 more foot pounds of energy down range than the 40 grainer..

• Advertisement

dwighet wrote: »
    http://www.federalpremium.com/products/compare/rifle_compare.aspx

click on compare with the 40 grain v-shock and click compare on the 64gn power shock.. then click the compare box in the top right corner

you will notice that the 64 gn carries around 100 more foot pounds of energy down range than the 40 grainer..

Just wondering again ere Dwighet, does muzzle velocity differ from down range because with 40 grain v-max molys there is 3800 fps @ the muzzle.
    Then i see with the 55 grain v-max molys there is only 3240fps @ the muzzle mmm. Does the lighter grained load loose velocity down range quicker than the heavier load? Thanks again:)

I am still taking clive js reply into account... Just want to get this straight in my head once and for all:) ha ha

down load this software from remington http://www.remington.com/products/ammunition/ballistics/remington_shoot_ballistics_software.asp
    do some comparisons with different weight 223 ammo out to 600 yards..
    That should put you in the picture.
    If you have any hassles with it.PM me and i will give you my number and we will get it sorted..

What breed of a gun are you shooting?

dwighet wrote: »
    What breed of a gun are you shooting?

I'm shootin' with a remmie sps. The groupings are fine I was lucky with it.
    Unlike some of them that are wild out of the box. Ps. thanks for that link Dwighet:) I will sleep now. Had a look on other sites too. It's very simple wwhen you think about it:o Thanks mate

kay 9 wrote: »
    I'm shootin' with a remmie sps. The groupings are fine I was lucky with it.
    Unlike some of them that are wild out of the box. Ps. thanks for that link Dwighet:) I will sleep now. Had a look on other sites too. It's very simple wwhen you think about it:o Thanks mate
    no bother at all..I started with an sps...the only thing wrong with them is the stock.........the action and the barell is A1...... in time. budget permitting. get a new stock and you will have some shooter.......

the sps is 1 in 12 twist i think.... i would stick with the 40 gn v-max....thats what i used on mine.... zero at 200yds...gives you 1 inch high at 100 yds and 5.5 low at 300yds..... happy days.

practice
    practice
    DONT FORGET TO BREATH

Advertisement