Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Telephone (DSL) Line - Not Twisted Pair

Options
  • 30-03-2009 7:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭

Hey guys,

I have searched these forums and found information about line quality, but I have a specific questions.

The line coming into our house (from the pole outside) is straight and not twisted pair, is that normal?

The cable ends in the attic and the previous owner had put a junction box and extensions on that. I removed the junction box and terminated the line with a Telecom Eireann NTU, which brought the Line Attenuation down from 59 to 56.

Our DSL is slow, only getting 1.5 of the 3Mbps we're paying for from Eircom, which I could live with but it is also very unstable (the DSL desyncs every 15 to 20 mins).

Anyway here are the line stats:

Downstream Upstream Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 2048 256 SN Margin (dB) 11.90 18.00 Line Attenuation (dB) 56.00 31.50 CRC Errors 2 0

Oh and the CRC does rise gradually as time passes. :(

We are on the Athenry exchange, about 4km (following the roads).

I understand that all of these issues are possibly due to the distance from the exchange, but I'll take any chance of improving the quality of broadband. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

The cable Eircom used from the pole to the house is never twisted, only from the pole to the exchange is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭RabidDog

The cable Eircom used from the pole to the house is never twisted, only from the pole to the exchange is.

Ah ok, thanks for that. :)

Would having an electrician change that to say CAT6 improve matters much? And is that legal?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

You'd be better of paying for 1Mbps at 4km as the line is likely too long for 3Mbps

Only eircom can work with wire outside your house. It wouldn't make much difference anyway, none to attenuation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭RabidDog

Thanks Watty.

I'm going to look into Airwire instead.

Advertisement