Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

macro lens

• 30-03-2009 7:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Hi all.
    This is my first post on this forum but i have been snooping around for a while. Some of the advice and postings have been fantastic. lately i have taken an interest in macro photography. I am in the market for a new lens and i was originally set on saving and purchasing the nikon 105mm vr. But now i am wondering if i can justify the expence at the moment. So i am looking for advice on this lens Tokina 100mm f2,8 AT-X PRO D Macro Lens for Nikon Digital Camera. It is half the price but is it half the quality? Any advice would be welcome thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

Hi,
    You'll get reviews on that tokina if you search photodo.com or the large photo websites such as phot.net etc.

On the cheap.
    Have you considered a reversing ring (nikon BR2A) on a 50mm 1.8mm lens, that 50mm is a good value lens, I've some excellent macro shots taken with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 dakota2

thanks ill check that out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭qwertz

I got the 105 VR back in 2007 during a visit in Hong Kong. Great lens and not just for macro photography. I have never handled the Tokina but this review might be of help to you:

http://www.photozone.de/nikon--nikkor-aps-c-lens-tests/269-tokina-af-100mm-f28-at-x-pro-d-macro-review--test-report

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

The best way to see the capability of the lense for yourself is to check to see if there is a group for it in flickr.... and it just so happens, there is. flickr.com/groups/tokina100mmmacro/ ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

have you checked out sigma?
    I used the 70mm macro on a D80 and it was absolutely savage as a 1:1 and as a nice portrait lens,I got great shots with it! so worth checking out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

I was in the same situation as yourself last week, I was torn between the Nikon 105 VR and the Sigma 105. In the end I went with the sigma because of all the reviews I've read say that the image quality between the two is basically the same. So with the nikon you're paying twice the price for VR and quieter auto focus and I simply couldn't justify that.

I paid €340 for it new on ebay, should have it in a couple of days.

I've got no idea about the Tokina though, but someone told me that there isn't such thing as a bad quality macro lense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

I have the Tokina 100mm for a Canon Mount, I find it great for Macro but I wouldn't use it for portraits... Actually I'm thinking of getting rid of it, to make room for a new purchase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 dakota2

Thanks folks.
    I am going to go ahead with the tokina lens. Searched online for prices, its roughly between £320-£50 sterling but found it for €350 in a shop in town so going to go with that.

Advertisement