Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Evening activities in Co Carlow

• 30-03-2009 7:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭

Hi guys, I was just wondering if you could help me. I recently separated from my wife, and whilst the weekends are fine as I have lots to do, but during the week I find my self bored silly, Im not fit and not really into playing field sports. So have you any recomendations for clubs and societies that i could join, Im very open minded and would try anything once, I look foward to your suggestions, Im from Tullow but dont mind traelling

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

Do you like Poker or Darts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭cantona1111

I play a bit of texas holdem, I woud have a passing interest in darts but am useless playing, was thinking of something a bit more sociable, a game of poker probably wouldnt be a bad idea, where do you play?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭HugoIrl

Have to say this thread is a good idea, have no clue of activities during the week other then pub & pool, which i lose at a lot. Be cool to know whats around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

HugoIrl wrote: »
    Be cool to know whats around.

Nothing to be honest! Seriously, unless you play sports, cards or go pubbing/clubbing then there is feck all else to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭shenanigans1982

Nothing to be honest! Seriously, unless you play sports, cards or go pubbing/clubbing then there is feck all else to do.

Unfortunately that is not just a Carlow problem. The whole country revolves around drink culture.

The only real alternative is Cinema but with the prices climbing all the time it won't be one for long.

• Advertisement

I thought I was going to be swamped with ideas, i would be willing to give nearly anything ago, would like to meet people so the cinema not a great option, but would pass a few hours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,931 ✭✭✭patrickc

we have social gatherings through here also, put your name down for the bowling one if you like?

it's a great way to meet new people

Thing about the cinema though is that it only shows (in my opinion) rubbish movies most of the time! :rolleyes:. There isnt even anywhere that shows alternative, or foreign movies etc, you know, something other than the latest Hollywood flick would be nice.

I tried joining evening classes last September and again in January, in total I think I must have applied for 5 different courses, none of them went ahead either because they were just cancelled or hadnt got enough interest :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭aynon

any one up for joining me down in the rowing club? looking to rejoin, as my fitness is nil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

aynon wrote: »
    any one up for joining me down in the rowing club? looking to rejoin, as my fitness is nil.

Expect to be ignored/hampered because you aren't a junior crew.

• Advertisement

well not row competitively just recreationally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

You could try your hand at fishing. There are so many different places to fish in Carlow, or even as little as an hours drive from Carlow. Great way to relax and sort the old head out.

I play a bit of texas holdem, I woud have a passing interest in darts but am useless playing, was thinking of something a bit more sociable, a game of poker probably wouldnt be a bad idea, where do you play?

I don't play myself but there are at least 2 tables of texas hold'em going in John Dalton's almost every weeknight. I've played once or twice and its good fun but its just not for me. I prefer to go to the pub for a pint and a chat. Some of my mates play regularly so I can find out specifics if you want but I'd say if you went down there any night around 9 you probably get in on the action. There's a guy called Boxer who takes names and money at the start of the night and the cash goes into the pot.

I'm dying to go Kayaking but I've no idea how to go about it. What type of rowing do you do?

Can you give me some info on the club?
    Costs? Types of boats? Equipment.. (supplied or bring your own?)

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭country_gurl

the tennis club seem to be doing some sort of tournament or something, looks like it from my window anyway! they play the damn thing till about 11pm every night ... but thats another rant for another thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

Carlow camera club meets every wed evening in the Seven Oak Hotel details here http://cps.itcarlow.ie/index.shtml. They ususally finish around May for the summers months very sociable, have outing etc. beginners are always welcome.

ShayK1 wrote: »
    I'm dying to go Kayaking but I've no idea how to go about it. What type of rowing do you do?

Can you give me some info on the club?
    Costs? Types of boats? Equipment.. (supplied or bring your own?)

Cheers!

its outrigger rowing. sculls, double sculls, doubles, quad sculls, 4's and 8's. all the different names of the boats.

carlow rowing club is one of the oldest formal rowing clubs in the world. i think its €100 a year for membership. this includes your insurance, and competition fees(if rowing formally as a crew). all the equipment is supplied, except of course, shorts/t shirts/ runners/fresh pair of underwear etc.

would really like to get a novice crew together, and do some races, but probably not in everyones scope. at least not at the moment. i have some college students who im getting started some time this week, keep you guys updated, if you want to tag along there'd be no problem.

patrickc wrote: »
    we have social gatherings through here also, put your name down for the bowling one if you like?

it's a great way to meet new people

Definitely agree +1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭The Gish

ike wrote: »
    Carlow camera club meets every wed evening in the Seven Oak Hotel details here http://cps.itcarlow.ie/index.shtml. They ususally finish around May for the summers months very sociable, have outing etc. beginners are always welcome.

MMMM Looking seriously at this one.
    Would love to learn how to use my camera properly

Point & Click :D

• Advertisement

well not row competitively just recreationally.

It was exactly what i had in mind when i said it.

Thing about the cinema though is that it only shows (in my opinion) rubbish movies most of the time! :rolleyes:. There isnt even anywhere that shows alternative, or foreign movies etc, you know, something other than the latest Hollywood flick would be nice.

I tried joining evening classes last September and again in January, in total I think I must have applied for 5 different courses, none of them went ahead either because they were just cancelled or hadnt got enough interest :rolleyes:

I love art house cinema/foreign movies, check out the dunamaise art center in portlaoise, its good for that kind of stuff.

The camera club sounds interesting, lots a good suggestions, keepem coming

Morf wrote: »
    It was exactly what i had in mind when i said it.
    already asked the club, and they are looking into it for me at this weeks board meeting.:P

already asked the club, and they are looking into it for me at this weeks board meeting.:P

Oh lord . .. now the committee is involved.

Oh lord . .. now the committee is involved.
    yup :p fall to your knees and tremble, getting a small crew together for recreational rowing, already have 3-4 people.

I love art house cinema/foreign movies, check out the dunamaise art center in portlaoise, its good for that kind of stuff.

The camera club sounds interesting, lots a good suggestions, keepem coming

Tis a bit far away mate, unfortunately. Currently my only source for decent movies is Amazon :rolleyes:, I've watched 4 foreign films already since Friday :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭The Gish

HugoIrl wrote: »
    Point & Click :D

Thats hardly a touch of sarcasm? :eek:

The Gish wrote: »
    Thats hardly a touch of sarcasm? :eek:

Maybe ....................or maybe not :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭shotgun mike

Film club in borris on friday nights

• Advertisement

Film club in borris on friday nights

Yeah?! I didnt realise that! Hmm, still a bit too far away for a man that hasnt got a motor I'm afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭purplefighter

its outrigger rowing. sculls, double sculls, doubles, quad sculls, 4's and 8's. all the different names of the boats.

carlow rowing club is one of the oldest formal rowing clubs in the world. i think its €100 a year for membership. this includes your insurance, and competition fees(if rowing formally as a crew). all the equipment is supplied, except of course, shorts/t shirts/ runners/fresh pair of underwear etc.

would really like to get a novice crew together, and do some races, but probably not in everyones scope. at least not at the moment. i have some college students who im getting started some time this week, keep you guys updated, if you want to tag along there'd be no problem.

Hey aynon, Any update on the novice crew? I've always wanted to try rowing but would be worried as my fitness level is zero :o Is there safety training before hand? Do you need to be able to capsize?

Hey aynon, Any update on the novice crew? I've always wanted to try rowing but would be worried as my fitness level is zero :o Is there safety training before hand? Do you need to be able to capsize?
    basicly enough, if you can swim your alright, looking at maybe thurs after next. will keep you guys up to date. capsize training is not necessary, as the training boat is uncapsizable. we tried, trust me!
    any way the boat, its opened top so its basicly push down and away if you do capsize, and swim to the surface. recover boat, get back to the bank. complete.

basicly enough, if you can swim your alright, looking at maybe thurs after next. will keep you guys up to date. capsize training is not necessary, as the training boat is uncapsizable. we tried, trust me!
    any way the boat, its opened top so its basicly push down and away if you do capsize, and swim to the surface. recover boat, get back to the bank. complete.

I did this on a freezing February morning. The other guy in the double let go of the oars, it was my first proper time out too. I was not impressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭albert-bundy

hi if any of you good carlow people are involved in clubs or organisations you can post your community news and fundraising adverts times of training/meeting etc for free here http://snazzyjobs.ie/directory/index.php/news/home its new and hopefully will offer clubs-organisations a platform to get much needed p.r going
    and provide a info service to all looking for something to do,
    also it needs a mod type person to drive it on any takers ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 trickymickey

Any social volleyball in carlow

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

the training boat can be turned over!
    you have to take the oars out, after that it still takes a bit of effort though..

SV wrote: »
    the training boat can be turned over!
    you have to take the oars out, after that it still takes a bit of effort though..

Got water coming in over the side of the brown wooden tub. That was an achievement involving multiple deliberate crabs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Got water coming in over the side of the brown wooden tub. That was an achievement involving multiple deliberate crabs.

heh, we had the billy and alice out, one person in the water trying to pull it down and the cox and 2 others leaning over in that direction, still couldn't get it turned over!

CRAB-
    crab.jpg
    NOT CRAB
    Rowing_Crab.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 897 ✭✭✭oxygen_old

Can you pm me about this aynon. I was interested as well in joining, but only recreationally, fitness is ok, but I wouldn't like to go competitive.

• Advertisement

oxygen wrote: »
    Can you pm me about this aynon. I was interested as well in joining, but only recreationally, fitness is ok, but I wouldn't like to go competitive.
    pm'ing now.

Advertisement