Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U2 question

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

big b wrote: »
    A hand-held camcorder recording of Slane wasn't going to hurt sales of the pro-shot DVD offering. It's an interesting extra, no more & no less.

That and the fact that I believe either one or two songs were left off the actual gig for the U2 Go Home DVD. So people will go for the bootleg of that just to have those two songs, but the second the option for a much better quality picture and sound DVD comes along, despite the fact that it's missing a track or two, it'll still sell, because it's a lot more impressive to put on when your mates are around and say "Yep, i was there", rather than looking at a wonkycam 5000 version and saying "You can just about make me out there, that blurred yellow dot"

Same goes for Pro Wrestling DVD's (don't laugh!), but a lot of the older WWE stuff is very difficult to get on DVD. Some of it is re-released as of about three years ago, but there are a lot of edits made, like entrance themes, bleeps and blurs. But because the originals were only available from recordings from the TV (in their unedited form), a lot of them are sub-par video quality, because after all, we didn't really have digital in 1987! So when these events come out reissued with the picture and sound fully restored. They're going to sell. Nobody is going to pass it up in favour of their crappy copies they recorded off the TV, donkeys ago!

Take for example, the recent Pearl Jam Ten remaster, with the DVD of the Unplugged gig. Do you honestly think people are not going to buy that because they can save a couple of bucks by getting a dodgy grainy MTV recording from 1992 from VHS dubbed to DVD? Be serious! People have been waiting for years for that. And when Oasis finally do the same with their Unplugged to DVD, it will be exactly the same. Same goes for bootleg audio. People still ran out and bought Metallica's S&M despite the gig being bootlegged all over the place.

Because you get what you pay for, and you'll pay to get it. And it's that simple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Bonavox

Personally, I'm a U2 fanatic, and can't name a song I don't like. They've probably made the most iconic songs ever, and their status to me could only be rivaled to The Beatles.

I love U2, and not because they're Irish. I'd still love U2 if they were any other nationality.

BTW, I am going to play drums at one of U2s concerts. I don't know when, and I don't know how, but I'd die happy to play the beat to City Of Blinding Lights!

Advertisement