Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job Offer

Options
  • 30-03-2009 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, I got a job offer today with large US financial institution based in Ireland, I've been asked to provide a Garda criminal record check before i sign the contract.

I have a minor conviction for a road traffic offence from a couple of years ago(Driving unaccompanied on a provisional licence, just had to pay a small fine in court).

Its pretty minor but do people think that it could make them think twice about offering the job?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi, I got a job offer today with large US financial institution based in Ireland, I've been asked to provide a Garda criminal record check before i sign the contract.

I have a minor conviction for a road traffic offence from a couple of years ago(Driving unaccompanied on a provisional licence, just had to pay a small fine in court).

Its pretty minor but do people think that it could make them think twice about offering the job?

Only if you previously lied and told them that you had no convictions.

If you've not told any lies, then you've probably got nothing to worry about, they'll only consider convictions that are relevant to tthe job. The only possible issue is if your job requires you to drive.

Hmm: reading again, driving while unlicenced (which is what you were really doing) may not be seen as "minor" by some Americans. I guess it will come down to how they see it.

Either way, you'll not get the job without the Garda check, so get busy filling in that form!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Emerald Lass

were you just fined on the spot by a garda , or did you go to court? If you didn't go to court then AFAIK this may not necessarily be a criminal conviction. Some are just fixed fine/penalty points, but not a 'criminal' conviction (i.e along the lines of a parking ticket - you got a fine but its not a criminal issue).

Even if you did go to court, then this issue could be seen as quite minor - yes its a driving offence, and Americans can look on that badly, but it is not in anyway in conflict with your job. Be honest I think is the way - they are probably more interested in know ing if you spent time in prison, have a conviction relating to a violent crime/fraud etc. I.e of a more serious nature than being in the car alone on a provisional licence.

Advertisement