Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the best interior paint to use and why?

Options
  • 30-03-2009 8:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭

Hi
    Just looking for advice on what do viewers believe the best paint to use is for interior walls/ceilings in a house, and what reasons do you have for your choice.
    Some people I've talked to put down Colortrend and put forward Dulux instead and vice versa so not really sure at this stage- advice from professional painters particularly welcome but anyone who has painted their interior and feels good/bad about the paint the've used, I'd be grateful for your views.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

I've always used Dulux or Crown up until pretty recently when I decided to use Colortrend on my sitting room for a change. I liked the Colortrend a lot- it seemed such good quality from the very moment I opened the tin, through to the finished job. It's certainly tougher wearing than a basic emulsion (due to it's acrylic formulation), the paint has excellent "hiding power" and goes on very well. I'd definitely consider using Colortrend for any painting job now- the only downside is the price, depending on the colour it can work out up to a third more than regular emulsions. But I always reckon buying cheap paint is a bad economy anyway as the labour involved in painting and decorating is the greatest expense of all.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Lobsterlady

Just finishing a new build, I used Dulux, Colourtrend, and Farrow & Ball. The 2 rooms i'm happiest with are Farrow & Ball painted. Perhaps it's the colours i choose from their range, but by far, in my opinion the best. Lovely deep matt, chalky appearance, olde worlde colours (cooking apple green/skimming stone). Pretty expensive paint though. I also used Colourtrend (Tumbled Marble) in the hall ways, and was pleased also with the finish. Nice chalky appearance also, with nice tones. Duluxed the rest, and not thrilled at all . Colour cards seemed somewhat 'out' on final appearance,and colours look a bit synthetic, so much so, i've repainted one room totally, and I'm not all together 'sold' on the 'taupe' shade in another.
    I'm not an expert, this is my first time trying out all these paints, but I have to say i was most pleased with Farrow and Ball & Colourtrend results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

Lobsterlady/ Jack of all..thanks a lot for the replies--- you've confirmed my own thoughts that colourtrend is good- have used it in the past and was very happy but because I had heard 2nd hand, a few people recently complain about colourtrend, it got me doubting my own judgement/experience.
    Might try looking into Farrow and Ball also- I know its more expensive again but I have 'got away' with not painting the house for a numer of years(after using colourtrend throughout), and it still looks OK, so I think its worth spending the extra money, at least for places where you spend most of the time, or that require a solid colour...would agree with the 'false economy' reference also.
    Cheers.

Advertisement