Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steam downloading games already installed

Options
  • 30-03-2009 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭

I'm wondering if anybody else using Steam notices that your installed games will do a partial or full download from time to time. I've just noticed that COH appears to be downloading the entire game again for some reason - hogging my bandwidth and pressing my cap (assuming it is ever enforced) - and I have no idea why. I've not played it in a while and surely an update would only be a fairly small file that would start downloading when I opened the game.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Ardscoil Ris

I know STEAM tries to download full games instead of installing from the disc, but I never heard of it downloading the full game when it's already installed. It's an odd one.

Actually, just checked the official forums and it's a bug. I'm sure the next STEAM update should fix it.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Had this bug before and I tried everything to remedy it. Kept re-installing L4D and other games.

In the end I was forced to do a re-install of windows :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Thanks guys. Hope they get that update out soon because I really don't want to keep on having to do this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭CutzEr

Are you sure that it is not just a large update?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Its a large update. I got it too. I mean huge. Look at the update fix list. Its pages long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Jumpy wrote: »
    Its a large update. I got it too. I mean huge. Look at the update fix list. Its pages long.

+1

Takes ages to download.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Well that is good to know.

It certainly was a massive update. Still, there does seem to be a fair bit of "x game has been installed to Steam" going on of late. Possibly they are all just updates.

Advertisement