Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roaccutane from GP? (Not asking for medical advice!)

Options
  • 30-03-2009 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭

I was prescribed it once from a dermatologist in Canada but was unable to follow through the course of treatment. I was just too busy to keep applying lip balm what with being in full time college, volunteering 40+ hours a week and working a paid job 20+ hours a week - since I'm unemployed right now, I think I can probably handle it :P

Anyway, my question is, has anyone ever been prescribed this by their GP? Or will I need a referral to a dermatologist?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Curvy Vixen

Xiney wrote: »
    I was prescribed it once from a dermatologist in Canada but was unable to follow through the course of treatment. I was just too busy to keep applying lip balm what with being in full time college, volunteering 40+ hours a week and working a paid job 20+ hours a week - since I'm unemployed right now, I think I can probably handle it :P

Anyway, my question is, has anyone ever been prescribed this by their GP? Or will I need a referral to a dermatologist?

Unless it's changed in the last 2 years it must be a dermatologist...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

damn :mad:

I don't want to wait 600 years to get referred to one here. @#$%ing Irish medical system.

(I cry for Canada)

edit: anyway, thanks for letting me know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Curvy Vixen

Call and get yourself a private appoinment. Not sure where you are based but Paul Collins in St Michaels in Dun Laoighre (can never spell that :rolleyes:) is excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

A GP with a special interest or qualification in Dermatology can prescribe it also I think.

Might be worth ringing around and asking. Might even be worth asking your own GP seeing as you have had it prescribed for you before.

I think there's a female GP in Oranmore who has that; not 100% sure though.

A private consultation with a dermatologist would probably set you back about €150 or so.

They take prescribing Roaccutane pretty seriously here(as I'm sure they do in Canada) just so ya know....

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭MoonDancer

I was actually offered it by my GP 2 months ago. But I won't dare try it so I settled for antibiotics instead.

• Advertisement

A GP with a special interest or qualification in Dermatology can prescribe it also I think.

Might be worth ringing around and asking. Might even be worth asking your own GP seeing as you have had it prescribed for you before.

I think there's a female GP in Oranmore who has that; not 100% sure though.

A private consultation with a dermatologist would probably set you back about €150 or so.

They take prescribing Roaccutane pretty seriously here(as I'm sure they do in Canada) just so ya know....

Hmmm... I suppose it would be bad form to ask my GP for her name. Haha.

I heard from my GP in Sligo that a private dermatologist referral was 150 euro. Can't believe it. Ridiculous. When I moved to Galway I decided to go the route of having mirena removed to see if that was the cause (I had it inserted and my acne got worse, but it hasn't got better and I've had it out for 4 months so it looks like it was unrelated)

They take it pretty seriously in Canada too, although I admit was quite surprised with the ease with which it was prescribed to me. My acne isn't terrible or anything, but I would get the odd large cystic thingy (one a month or so... guess which time!) and I think I had one when I went to see the guy so I got to take home a prescription for the big guns.

MoonDancer wrote: »
    I was actually offered it by my GP 2 months ago. But I won't dare try it so I settled for antibiotics instead.

really? awesome. maybe there's hope so!

Xiney wrote: »
    really? awesome. maybe there's hope so!
    Yup & I'm in Sligo too! :D
    Good luck with the beautiful new skin, tis a blessing :D
    Edit: Could have sworn I saw Sligo in your location!

I lived in Sligo last year and I'm one of the Sligo forum mods, so it's confusing :)

Ahh I see. Galway's great too it's my second home :D

• Advertisement

it's.... squelchy.

suits me a lot better than Sligo ever did, though.

Advertisement