Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Travelling Solo- Asking myself why?!

• 30-03-2009 8:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28

Hi, I am totally consumed with plans for travel at the moment and am asking myself question after question about where, how, when but now this horrible feeling of unease is setting in about travelling on my own as a female. I have travelled a bit, SE Asia, S.America, Europe but not alone. Am now considering a year long travelling stint. I really want to go to India but have read some scary stuff about solo female travel which is making me feel I have no option but to maybe volunteer or some such more 'sheltered' or 'structured' environment. Then there's NZ... presume no prob travelling there as a solo traveller in terms of safety but will I go mad alone? I'm a very independent person, don't mind my own company abd can get on and meet others easily but part of me really wants to do this alone- another part is SO scared! Can anyone offer advice, experiences?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 359 ✭✭Arcee

Oh please don't be scared! :eek::eek:

I'm a lone female traveller too and I promise you there is nothing more rewarding, satisfying, exhilarating and confidence-building than travelling alone. :D:D:D Yes, there are times when you will wish someone was there with you but I guarentee there will be more times that you will have a great experience and say to yourself "This would have never happened if I was travelling with someone" You'll meet all sorts of people, you'll push yourself to do things that you would usually shy away from and you'll have great memories for life!

As you are considering going for a year, there is certainly room for a mix of solo and structured travelling in there. If you are nervous, maybe start off on a group tour and then go it alone from there for a while before volunteering somewhere?

There are also plenty of activities that will link you up with people - sucba diving is great for that - you'll get a dive buddy and usually be diving in a group. It's a great way to meet people as many of them will be on their own too. If you are travelling to places that have rivers - 3 or 4 night river cruises on small boats are also great for meeting people too.

Yes there is a lot of scary stuff about female travelling on the web but try not to focus only on that - there's just as many positive stories out there if you look for them. I don't know if this helps or not but my golden rule for travelling alone is " If you wouldn't do it at home, don't do it here" and I have found this to keep me fairly safe when I've been away. The same way I wouldn't walk down a dark alley at home at night, I'm not gonna do it in Bangkok either :D You get the idea.....;) Take the same precautions as you always do and you'll be absoloutely fine. Go with your instinct - if a situation begins to feel dodgy, get out of it!

Well done for taking the step - if you need any info/encouragement just pm me! :):):):)

Advertisement