Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sockets tripping on fuseboard

Options
  • 30-03-2009 9:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

Have a problem with the fuseboard in our house, the ELCB for the sockets on the fuse boards seems to be tripping overy few weeks. So anying thing plugged in goes off, lights stay on and are fine.

Originally when we moved in 3 years ago we had the same issue. Spakey came an all was sorted un till a month or 2 ago.

We called the sparkey and he said the ELCB for the sockekts was blown, we where unable just to push the trip switch back up , i wouldnt stay in the up possition. So it was replaced and we where told it was under rated or too low a rating for the board.

Now this evening same thing again cant push trip back up, might be wondering now how im on here posting? Well when i was looking at the trip i noticed in tiny letters "push monthly" written on the elcb , hmmmm what harm can it do i said and pushed it , and low and behold sockets are back on.

What im asking is if we have a serious problem ? and if someone can elaborate on whats going on as ive never had to push a button on a trip once a month. Ive added a pic.

[IMG][/img]0563E93D882E40CEB0ECF51145CF3393-800.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

If the elcb wont reset you can try turning off the 3 socket mcbs and then retry it followed by the mcbs.this might help locate problem .get a sparkie to check rcd and do an insulation test on socket ccts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

dave can you give me some insite as to why it worked when i pushed that "push monthly" button and if i actually need to be doing as it says and push it monthly and what the reason for that is ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭edward543350

the elcb you have is not under rated its rated at 63amps.i think the time clock for the burner could be causing the triping does it only trip when the heating come on?

Hi Ed, the clock there isnt actually used as far as i know.

We set the heating (gas) using a digital timer under the burner in the kitchen.
    As i said happened once 3 years ago , and now 3 or 4 times in the last months.

Last night it happened at around 8:40 and heat came on at 8.

Other times it's happened and i was here would have been after 9pm or so and once over night and heating would not have been set to come on then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭aws

Bet its your kettle or immersion (if its on elcb) , elements brake down over time and cause this intermittent fault. A real head recker if ya dont know what to look for.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 mark_d_spark

An elcb is a device that detects an earth fault. Lights and cookers shouldnt be fed through an ELCB that is why your lights still work when it trips. The reason it trips is most likely a faulty appliance...like the previous poster said something with an element in it ie. dishwasher or kettle. The best way to find out which appliance is faulty without gettin a sparks is...Next time the elcb trips and wont reset, Plug out one appliance at a time and go back to the elcb and try to reset it. If it still doesnt reset go to the next appliance plug that out and go back and try a reset... When the elcb reset and stays up it means u have found the faulty appliance. Hope this helps

An elcb is a device that detects an earth fault. Lights and cookers shouldnt be fed through an ELCB that is why your lights still work when it trips. The reason it trips is most likely a faulty appliance...like the previous poster said something with an element in it ie. dishwasher or kettle. The best way to find out which appliance is faulty without gettin a sparks is...Next time the elcb trips and wont reset, Plug out one appliance at a time and go back to the elcb and try to reset it. If it still doesnt reset go to the next appliance plug that out and go back and try a reset... When the elcb reset and stays up it means u have found the faulty appliance. Hope this helps

thanks for that Mark , that helps a lot

Advertisement