Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pole dancing lessons in galway

Options
  • 30-03-2009 9:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭

can anyone help me im looking for pole dancing lessons in galway?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

I'm 100% convinced that with 2 posts, this isnt a troll. Utterly convinced.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Don't think there's such a thing in Galway, unfortunately - aparantly it makes chicks fit, quick. Well, i've never seen a fat pole dancer :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Polish_Dancing.jpg
    These crowd look well versed in Pole Dancing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

I made enquiries about this before from polestars.ie and was told that as of yet they cannot hold classes in the Galway area as they do not have universal poles for all venues.:confused:

One size does not fit all!!

Sligo is the nearest place that offers classes. Seems daft that they wouldn't be targeting Galway but there ya go!!

Pity.....supposed to be great exercise....and I'm certain it's a skill one could put to good use at some stage;):p:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I knew a few women in Montreal with poles in their apartments (one was permanent, more were able to be put away when people were visiting) that taught themselves.

There's DVDs and Youtube videos. The core strength you must get from that...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

There was a small buck in Eyre Square called Seamus offering classes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Rayne

nikki79 wrote: »
    can anyone help me im looking for pole dancing lessons in galway?

Strange, I was wondering this earlier too....

I too contacted polestars.ie in 2005 - They told me they'd be coming to Galway soon..... 4 years on, no joy!

Niche in the market, shall we open our own one?? My friends were ALL up for it! Great fitness regime... Not to mention the other funsy that come with it!*

*Dressing up, duh?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Don't think there's such a thing in Galway, unfortunately - aparantly it makes chicks fit, quick. Well, i've never seen a fat pole dancer :pac:

You've never been to the place down on Domnick St I take it? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭pseudonym1

JohnCleary wrote: »

Really ??!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueVOLY2SPDE

• Advertisement

You've never been to the place down on Domnick St I take it? :pac:

No, but I doubt they offer classes to the publc?

There's actually a serious market for a class like this in the city..... I am convinced of that.

Hopefully some entrepeneur type reads this thread and has a 'EUREKA' moment.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Rayne

There's actually a serious market for a class like this in the city..... I am convinced of that.

Hopefully some entrepeneur type reads this thread and has a 'EUREKA' moment.....

If only i'd the dosh .... or an interested invester!

If only i'd the dosh .... or an interested invester!

PM me if you're serious

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

I made enquiries about this before from polestars.ie and was told that as of yet they cannot hold classes in the Galway area as they do not have universal poles for all venues.:confused:
    You misunderstood. Polestars don't hold classes in Galway purely down to the fact that it's so hard to find a decent, female friendly, venue. Yes the poles are made to order, per venue, but they are professional poles. Using the "one size fits all" poles is not safe when in constant use, regardless of who says what.

Seems daft that they wouldn't be targeting Galway but there ya go!!
    Polestars have been hunting for suitable venues in Galway for years. One has yet to be found.

I too contacted polestars.ie in 2005 - They told me they'd be coming to Galway soon..... 4 years on, no joy!

I trust that my reply one post up explains the reasons?

RangeR wrote: »
    You misunderstood. Polestars don't hold classes in Galway purely down to the fact that it's so hard to find a decent, female friendly, venue. Yes the poles are made to order, per venue, but they are professional poles. Using the "one size fits all" poles is not safe when in constant use, regardless of who says what.

Polestars have been hunting for suitable venues in Galway for years. One has yet to be found.

Well, if that is the case then why did the email from polestars state that the reason there were no classes in Galway was because they could not find a venue suitable for their poles??? As opposed to not finding a suitable venue. Two very different reasons tbh

I never mentioned one size fits all poles.... I would assume, given that it is a class that people pay for, that the company would at the very least use something better than a one size fits all pole. I would imagine there would be serious insurance implications otherwise.

As regards being unable to find a suitable venue,. I really find it very hard to believe, given the size of Galway itself and the proximity of towns like Oranmore, Claregalway, Barna, Moycullen to Galway city, that there is no venue suitable out of a what must be a vast array of choice, given the number of hotels, sports halls, band halls, school halls, church halls, and college facilities available, and particularly given that there's obviously a good market/demand for a class of that nature in Galway.

Perhaps Polestars should look a bit harder:rolleyes:

Well, if that is the case then why did the email from polestars state that the reason there were no classes in Galway was because they could not find a venue suitable for their poles??? As opposed to not finding a suitable venue. Two very different reasons tbh

I'm feeling a little hostility from you, maybe I'm wrong. You received ONE reason why we don't have a Galway venue yet. There are many reasons why most venues are not suitable. I'm not going to list them all but...
    • Ceilings
      Too high or too low [Ideal height is between 8 and 10 foot. Any size outside of that is just not safe]
      False / Suspended ceiling [not safe to anchor the poles into]
      Are the ceilings decorated or have a protection order [yes some venues approached us where it would be illegal for us to alter the ceiling - drilling etc]
      Has to be "safe" [If I or any of our teachers don't feel safe going in to a venue then so will some of our students]
    • Availability
      Are there any other companies [or the venue itself] using the room when we need to?
      Is there a private room in the venue?

I never mentioned one size fits all poles.... I would assume, given that it is a class that people pay for, that the company would at the very least use something better than a one size fits all pole. I would imagine there would be serious insurance implications otherwise.
    I apologies, I was answering a few people in as few posts as possible. Retracted. You mentioned "as they do not have universal poles for all venues" in an earlier post with a [confused] smiley. You thought we had universal poles? My idea of universal poles is the one size fits all.

Anyway, you would imagine right. Insurance doesn't cover certain poles. Regardless of insurance, it's just not safe. We pride ourselves on your health and safety record. Do some research with some of our competitors, you would be surprised how many don't have insurance or are using sub standard poles.

As regards being unable to find a suitable venue,. I really find it very hard to believe, given the size of Galway itself and the proximity of towns like Oranmore, Claregalway, Barna, Moycullen to Galway city, that there is no venue suitable out of a what must be a vast array of choice, given the number of hotels, sports halls, band halls, school halls, church halls, and college facilities available, and particularly given that there's obviously a good market/demand for a class of that nature in Galway.
    With all due respect, believe what you want. I think I have answered this enough in my first quote in this thread. However, if you can find us a suitable venue, please feel free to let us know. Most of our requirements are posted on our website.

I will add, though, that Polestars aren't a huge company. We don't have hundreds of employees scouring the countryside for every possible venue. We have a handful of people [read between 2 and 7 at any given time] to visit as many venues in a region as possible in a given timeframe. We are always going back to regions a few months later.
    Perhaps Polestars should look a bit harder:rolleyes:
    I think that doesn't warrant a proper answer.

I think I've been as defensive as I want to be and it's not becoming. Unless you are willing to discuss without the "over the top negativity", maybe Polestars is not for you. Maybe try your luck with some of the other companies out there. Many people have and have then come back to us because they have had negative experiences.

I'm tired. Time for my Easter egg.

Keith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭quietobserver

well responded keith. enjoy the easter egg.

I'm feeling a little hostility from you, maybe I'm wrong. You received ONE reason why we don't have a Galway venue yet. There are many reasons why most venues are not suitable. I'm not going to list them all but...

I think I've been as defensive as I want to be and it's not becoming. Unless you are willing to discuss without the "over the top negativity", maybe Polestars is not for you.

I'm tired. Time for my Easter egg.

Keith

I think you've been ridiculously defensive and over the top in your responses to be honest.

I merely stated what I had received in an email from (I assume) your company, and you jump down my throat because of what I was informed by a member of your staff and because you interpretted my post incorrectly.

And for the record, I'm not being hostile. I have much better things to do than be hostile towards an internet poster tbh. Again you misinterpretted my post.

And I stand by the fact that you obviously haven't looked very hard in Galway city and county. If you would like more venue suggestions, as perhaps you are not very familiar with the city, I would be happy to help, as I'm sure would other posters here on the Galway city forum.

Enjoy your easter egg; and a very very Happy Easter to you!

MR

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

And I stand by the fact that you obviously haven't looked very hard in Galway city and county. If you would like more venue suggestions, as perhaps you are not very familiar with the city, I would be happy to help,

I'm not sure that finding venues is as easy as you think.

Two groups that I'm involved with have looked around for inner-city venues in the past six-ish months, and have struggled to find something suitable. Maybe they were just unlucky, but finding places that could guarantee availability on every Wednesday (or whatever) night for the next year seemed difficult. And these folks weren't being fussy, one just wanted heating and lighting, one wanted heat, light, tables and chairs.

Hi guys,

I thought of this thread today. We are heading to Galway this weekend. As you may see from the previous posts in this thread, we tried many times with no success to find a venue in Galway. However, we are trying again.

If any of you know of any suitable venues, please let us know. If we use a venue you suggest, we'll give you a free place on a course or a percentage off a party.

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭LoopyL

try the kingfisher in NUIG was a member there last year and they have loads of dance studios dont know if they'll be what you looking for but they have loads of different sizes:o

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I endorse this product and/or service.

Finding venues is bloody difficult at the best of times, and Galway's pretty poor for it (LAN parties have particular needs).

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭dazzday

Try the Galway Bridge Club on Marys Rd. From what i remember of it, its rarely booked, has plenty of space and is very cheap

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Galway Dance Centre rent studios :http://www.galwaydancecentre.com/ . Have you tried the Galway Rowing Club ? They rent a hall too.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If any of you know of any suitable venues, please let us know. If we use a venue you suggest, we'll give you a free place on a course or a percentage off a party.

Can you give us some clues about what you need in a venue? That might help the thought processes a bit.

I'm picking you won't get anywhere in the absolute centre-city. See my .sig for a website that's got some information about bus-routes (including maps), which might be helpful for thinking about whether particular venues would work for you. Don't assume that everyone will come by car: Galway has lots of students and alternative types who walk, bike or bus to places.

JustMary wrote: »
    Can you give us some clues about what you need in a venue? That might help the thought processes a bit.

I'm picking you won't get anywhere in the absolute centre-city. See my .sig for a website that's got some information about bus-routes (including maps), which might be helpful for thinking about whether particular venues would work for you. Don't assume that everyone will come by car: Galway has lots of students and alternative types who walk, bike or bus to places.

Clues? Well I'm under strict guidelines not to advertise and I'll adhere to that. If you go to our website and select [Other Info -> Do you have a venue?], our venue requirements are there.

And we don't assume anything about venues. We have a lot of experience in picking them and know what works and what doesn't :)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I think what Mary is asking is: Do you need a stage? Ceiling height? Spotlights? Other lights? Do you have your own sound system? Max capacity?
    Those kind of things like.

• Advertisement

Magnus wrote: »
    I think what Mary is asking is: Do you need a stage? Ceiling height? Spotlights? Other lights? Do you have your own sound system? Max capacity?
    Those kind of things like.

Yup true.

Ok, the bare minimum we need :

* Relatively safe and well lit area [as most classes will be 7:30pm onwards]. We don't really want our students walking down a dark lane way to get to the venue.
    * Total or near total private room. We cannot have on lookers or people walking through every 5 minutes [or at all]. Female staff excepted in extraordinary circumstances. We occasionally get female staff from a venue standing in the doorwell of our room, thinking that it's ok to watch for 30 minutes. This is very off putting for both teacher and students. Comfort of our students is one of our main concerns.
    * Don't need a stage but do need a solid ceiling as we must secure a small metal disk [about the size of a CD and per pole]. Suspended ceilings are out unless we can secure the disk to the actual ceiling. This will be unsightly and unworkable unless suspended ceiling is a tiled one. You know the type [generally found in office ceilings]
    * Don't need dedicated sound systems as we bring our own. However, if one is in place and are allowed to use it, that will not be a problem.
    * The room needs to be clean. No rubbish or broken class on the floor and floor not sticky. You would be surprised of the amount of times we walked into a class with broken glass everywhere.
    * Poles are a fixed size so will need to be stored on site.

Hopefully I didn't forget anything.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement