Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shops advertising £ & € prices must accept the £ price if you present them with

Options
  • 30-03-2009 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭

This was posted on a FB group about the wonderful Irish rip-off:
    TIP OF THE WEEK: Go into your nearest store where the tags on the stuff are in sterling & euro (ie Next, River Island etc) take your item to till & whip out your sterling to pay for it! They have to accept it people, thats the law. However, make sure you have the correct(ish) sterling on you coz you wont get change

Can anyone confirm whether there's any truth to it?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bobbbb

Sterling is not legal tender here. They dont have to accept it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Thanks
    It is completely false. Irish stores do NOT have to accept sterling since it is not legal tender here. This has been done plenty of times on this forum. There are reasons for the difference in price e.g. VAT differences and wage costs.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

There is no such law. This only exists in that great tome, The Great Book of Imagined Irish Consumer Laws.

Prices on goods in shops are merely invitations to treat, not offers.

Moreover, sterling is not legal tender here so it may not be accepted in settlement of a debt unless the retailer was to expressly wish so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

Nope, total nonsense. Shops are under no obligation to sell anything to anyone, at any price.

It's completely legal for a shop to refuse to sell you something just because they don't feel like it, even if you're willing to pay the marked (euro) price.

Sometimes shops will be willing to let you pay in sterling, but you will always be charged the euro price converted into sterling on the spot, not the sterling price marked on the item.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Geordie_Girl

Cheers everyone. Thought it sounded like too nice of a deal to be real.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

Thanks

No, it's ill-informed nonsense.

Question 5
    http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/Hot_Topics/FAQs/Price-display/

Please post this link back to the FB group.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It's a downright falsehood. The only legal tender in the Republic of Ireland is the euro. Accepting anything else is at the shop's discretion. They are in no way obliged to accept Sterling.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Not only are they not legally obliged to sell it to you at the sterling price, they're not obliged to sell it to you at any price in any currency. They don't have to sell it to you

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Robbo wrote: »
    Prices on goods in shops are merely invitations to treat, not offers.

Invitations to treat? Eh?

Surely if it's advertised at a said price, it is to be sold at that said price. That's how it is in the UK anyway. Is it different here then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

benifa wrote: »
    Invitations to treat? Eh?

Surely if it's advertised at a said price, it is to be sold at that said price. That's how it is in the UK anyway. Is it different here then?

It's the same in the UK as it is here

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/the_economy/441740.stm

• Advertisement

Thanks, this is very interesting.

But I'm confused.. According to that page:
    The shopkeeper does not have to sell the television if he does not want to. At that stage there is no contract.

The shopkeeper is making what lawyers call an 'invitation to treat', an invitation to the customer to make him an offer.

but then later..
    The Consumer Protection Act of 1987 makes it a criminal offence to give consumers a misleading price indication.

Shopkeepers in England and Wales can be fined up to £5000 in the magistrates' courts each time a consumer is misled. It's a defence for the shopkeeper to show he acted diligently and took all reasonable steps to avoid giving the consumer a misleading indication.

Call me thick, but I can't understand the apparent contradiction.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Thanks, this is very interesting.

But I'm confused.. According to that page:
    This means the shop don't have to sell an item to you at any price, including the advertised price, period
    but then later..

Call me thick, but I can't understand the apparent contradiction.
    This simply means that if they advertise at the wrong price and don't sell it the state can fine them for false advertisement; you still don't have a TV in hand though.

Nody wrote: »
    This means the shop don't have to sell an item to you at any price, including the advertised price, period

This simply means that if they advertise at the wrong price and don't sell it the state can fine them for false advertisement; you still don't have a TV in hand though.

Ok, thanks. So, it's ok to advertise at any price and not sell it at that price, as it's only an "invitation to treat". However, to do so is unlawful and so the State can fine the seller.

...?

Surely it's either lawful or unlawful. If it's unlawful (which it must be, if the State is entitled to fine the seller), then it's not ok to do it.

Sorry lads, I still don't get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Ok, thanks. So, it's ok to advertise at any price and not sell it at that price, as it's only an "invitation to treat". However, to do so is unlawful and so the State can fine the seller.

...?

Surely it's either lawful or unlawful. If it's unlawful (which it must be, if the State is entitled to fine the seller), then it's not ok to do it.

Invitation to treat is usually used to protect retailers against mistakes. So false advertising is illegal but the law allows for mistakes as long as they are rectified

as the link says:
    And it is also possible for the courts to declare a contract void if the seller has made a genuine mistake.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

no no no no no they don't have top accept it in anyway way shape or form!

Some stores may but that is down to store policy and there is nothing legal to say they have to.

Good god.......such poor information they should be ashamed of themselfs

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    Invitation to treat is usually used to protect retailers against mistakes. So false advertising is illegal but the law allows for mistakes as long as they are rectified

as the link says:
    And it is also possible for the courts to declare a contract void if the seller has made a genuine mistake.

Ok, but "invitation to treat" is clearly an intentional act - as the seller is inviting the customer to make him an offer.

How can a mistake be excused by making out it was an intentional act?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Ok, but "invitation to treat" is clearly an intentional act - as the seller is inviting the customer to make him an offer.

It comes down to contract law.

You need the following ingredients to have a legally binding contract.

Offer and Acceptance
    Consideration (payment)
    Intent to contract
    Legality of form (some contracts need to be in writing)
    Capacity to contract (need to be able to contract e.g. minors can't)
    (i could be missing one other ingredient)

An invitation to make an offer (invitation to treat) is not an offer since displaying items with a price is "an expression of willingness to negotiate".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

I think it's something like if I have 200 packs of sausages out and they all say '€1.00' and one says '€0.10' and you pick up the '€0.10', I scan it at the proper price of '€1.00', if you haven't paid for it yet (ie. completed our contract) I can refuse to sell you it for €0.10. It's a mistake, not deception. However, if I put an ad in the media saying 'sausages going cheap, 10 cent', and put the same ad over sausages that are still the euro, I'm intentionally trying to decieve.

Open to correction on this. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Yes well explained, they are fining a company for intentionally misleading customers not for 1 mistake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Emerald Lass

Tesco are currently matching the sterling price in euro on their clothing - i.e what ever the listed sterling price is, you pay that in euro £10= €10.

hope this might kick start some of the other large stores to follow suit.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Tesco are currently matching the sterling price in euro on their clothing - i.e what ever the listed sterling price is, you pay that in euro £10= €10.

hope this might kick start some of the other large stores to follow suit.

Aye but aren't they supposed to be running some promo in Sterling-land offering 20% off ...?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

...?

The courts may fine the offender on conviction, "the state" cannot fine the seller. This does not help the buyer though.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

If this was true do you not think people would have been buying magazines with sterling and US$ for the last 50 odd years or so. This dual pricing is nothing new...

The utter ignorance some people have about varying prices in different countries is quite disturbing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Emerald Lass

parsi wrote: »
    Aye but aren't they supposed to be running some promo in Sterling-land offering 20% off ...?

wouldn't let that bother me too much - its like when debenhams or currys or who ever have a sale in the UK and not here. Still think its a step in the right direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I'll try explain the difference between invitation to treat and false advertising.

False advertising - would be taking an advertisement in a national newspaper that draws customers from the street to your store, then when they are instore you tell them thats a mistake.

Invitation to treat - is basically you find a item on display (so wasn't draw into store by a advertised price) and then bring it to the till, to enter into contract of sale. The seller can then choose to accept, decline or counter-offer. This is to protect retailers where a item may be wrongly priced or a customer has tampered with pricing (swap price stickers does happen).

I may be a bit off with this explanation.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Gummy,

thats exactly it.

Advertisement