Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Referencing Q.

Options
  • 30-03-2009 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭

Probably a silly question but it's something I ain't come across in my short stint here!

When referencing a book in an essay that is written by numerous authors, how exactly does quoting work out? In the examples I've seen they've only given examples of single authors. Do I use all 3 (in my case) authors names directly after a quote, just one, none!? Whats the case in this scenario!?

"blah blah blah" (Jim, Bob, Joe, p213)

Cheers, and apologies for probabaly a stupid question, just wanna make sure I'm getting it right!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭kippy

See here for the Harvard referencing format, the most common used I believe:
    http://libweb.anglia.ac.uk/referencing/harvard.htm
    Very good site for referencing standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

Depends.

If it's in English it's MLA and History is Chicago. Not everything usues Harvard so be careful..

Brimmy wrote: »
    Depends.

If it's in English it's MLA and History is Chicago. Not everything usues Harvard so be careful..
    Sorry should have said that.

PS.
    I really hate referencing and assignments that require it. Mainly because there is no "ONE" standard and even differing modules in the same course may require different standards. A bit daft if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SRFC90

Sociology!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Ask your lecturer to make sure

• Advertisement

Slightly off topic but why dont they ALL use the same STANDARD?
    Its something which really annoys me.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭graduate

If you are using Word then the Endnote software will cure all your referencing problems, albeit with a bit of time required to get it setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭bigslick

If using Harvard method (which was the norm for my undergrad and masters) when referencing multiple authors, you can put only the first author that appears on the book and Et. al (which means and others or something lol).

Example: Emile Durkheim: The idiot by Tony Scott, Barry Andrews and Kylie Minogue, 2001

"Emile Durkheim is an idiot" (Scott Et al., 2001, p31)

Howeve i have noticed sometimes the page (p) in the reference is left out or in.

Advertisement