Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

jack russell teething

Options
  • 30-03-2009 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭

Hi folks

We have a one year old Jack Russell or so we are led to believe, He is a rescue from the pound and the vet durin his initial check up told us he is about a year.

Anyway is it possible that he is still teething he will chew anything he can get his teeth around, it's not hunger coz he gets more than enough food during the day.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

In my experience with Jack Russells and similar terriers they always want to chew stuff, it's not something that goes away by itself for a long time. Others may have other experiences :)

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭kazza90210

dogs can be teething until 14 months approx, make sure he has plenty to chew on, have you tried kong toys? u can fill them with food and dogs spend hours chewing on them and trying to get the food out. you can get them in most pet shops and they come in different sizes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 soulstaf

Hi

All dogs need to carry out the chewing behaviour daily, this will vary dog to dog. Terrier breeds acquire a lot of chewing to fulfil their daily need. Chewing relieves stress and frustration and makes our dogs happy!

Provide chew objects to avoid your dog chewing inappropriate objects!

filled Kong are great, rawhide bones, ragger ropes....have plenty of choice for your dog so he wont get bored!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

I know this may seem random however a good bit of advice, ensure to keep it away from your socks and underwear. Terriers are devils for chewing on/through them! All terriers are just terrible for chewing full stop!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Ericka

I agree with the other posters. I have a JRT around the same age, and uses teeth for many reasons. Teething maybe, but seems to do it for fun too. Even to say hello or excited to go for a walk etc.

I am trying to train him out of it at the moment, only have him a short while myself. I expect it's something he will grow out with time, keeping the nipping for toys and bones.

Calmly tell him no pointing at his nose. He will learn to associate your action and lowered tone to a behaviour that is not allowed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 countesshouse

My Jack Russell 'Holly' who is three stopped chewing when she was one.We got her for company for our German Shepherd 'Hamlet' who is 6 years.They play a lot together so maybe this helped. I find them funny little breeds as they have no fear and enjoy watching my two play and 'Holly' is the Boss at all times!!:)

Advertisement