Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multiple appointments over the next few weeks - what to say at work?

Options
  • 30-03-2009 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    I have to go to multiple medical appointments over the next few weeks during work hours and I need to let my boss know.

I can work off the time in the evening and everything and I think that he will be ok with that. I feel obliged to tell him what's up though.

I don't really want to tell anyone the where I am really going (i.e what's really wrong with me) and was thinking maybe the easiest thing would be to make up something so I would then not feel under obligation.

The only thing is I don't know what I could say to him that would require me to have to go for an appointment every week for maybe the next 10 weeks and possibly more. Any ideas? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I would tell him the truth, maybe not in all its gory details, but if he is going to be flexible and accomodate you, then you owe him some honesty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 mamacita

You could get all mysterious and say that you don't want to say much, as its private, and that you've been fortunate to find a counsellor to take you on and give you a weekly slot at such short notice. Sometimes to stay private, you need to create a bit of a smokescreen, hence my suggestion of going for counselling. Not much the boss will be asking you about it, I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

I think its no harm to tell him the truth.

You might need follow up stuff down the line so it would be easier to be straight with him now.

He won't be interested in details I'd say , and probably won't go gossiping about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

if it's for a mental health issue and you'd rather not say, tell your boss you're going for physiotherapy - this is also a weekly appointment kind of deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Emerald Lass

you don't need to give him any specifics provided what is wrong with you would not negatively impact on your work. So unless your condition particularly affects your performance you are not obliged to tell them any specifics. Just say you need to attend regular appointments for the next x weeks, that you would rather not go into the details as it is personal, but you will work up the time and can provide proof if required (just an appointment card will suffice - it doesn't have to say anymore than who you are seeing and the time).

Failing that, if you are a female and your boss is a man just say its to do with 'womens issues' and trust me, he WILL NOt question it further! lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

saying "it's personal" is probably the quickest way to make your employer think the worst.

Personally, if he/she isn't entitled to the info but is going to think the worst if you don't provide it, I'd either tell the truth, or if the truth is something you'd rather not say, make up something plausible but not embarrassing. A white lie is acceptable (imo) if it's none of their business in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Emerald Lass

Xiney wrote: »
    saying "it's personal" is probably the quickest way to make your employer think the worst.

I disagree - any decent manager worth their salt should not think this way. If an employee approached me with the above situation but did not want to go into details then I would respect that. If i was in anyway suspcious of their request for time off, then I would ask for proof such as an appointment card or something. My only concern would be if the issue directly had relevance to the employees ability to do the job. I would be asking if their issue is work related? is there anything the job can do to help? will this issue have an impact on their ability to work? etc. If the answer is no, then the employee is perfectly entitled to keep their private life private and as a manager it would be bad form to think the worst of them for it.

If you make up a 'white lie' and then later have to go back and tell the truth it will be more awkward.

Advertisement