Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which 4x4?

• 30-03-2009 9:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭

Cannot decide which 4x4 to choose? I have narrowed it down to Nissan Pathfinder, Mitsubishi Pajero Sport or Land Rover Defender LWB? which one is best technically and reliability wise. All help will be greatly appreicated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

If you want something that'll stand up to the next 15-20 years of hard work, while still holding reasonable value the whole time, the Defender's the only way to go. They're impossible to beat when it comes to cheap, readily available accessories, replacement parts, and knowledge as they age and you want to keep it on the road etc.

If you want something that'll take a little of the rough stuff while remaining comfortable etc., the Pathfinder's a nice machine. They're comfortable and a lot easier to live with if it's to serve as your 'car' too. Don't expect it to hold value as well as the 110, and certainly don't expect it to be as easy to fix if you break it up a bit.

The Pajero Sport is a non-starter as far as I'm concerned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 obxchillin

I've had good luck with Nissan. I have an Xterra and the Pathfinder uses the same powertrain- it gets my vote

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Puncell

stick with the pajero - the other 2 are a waste of time - or better still go for a 3.1td trooper - youll have no trouble withy of these babys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭cruiser178

if your looking for lwb the 4.2 td vx land cruiser is the most impressive jeep i've driven on road or off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

I have 2 Landcruiser vx's...totally unburstable. They just go for ever. Will sell my 01 for 12.5k with 130km on clock...faultless and havent bothered to advertise it yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭O.A.P

Give us a hint on what you want the 4x4 for? I have a 110 defender it suits my work, it realy is a great workhorse. The pathfinder would be less workhorse and more creature comforts but still very capable. The pajero would be more comfortable again but not nearly as good in the rough stuff. So it depends on what you want it for. All three can pull a trailer no bother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭cruiser178

Bearcat wrote: »
    I have 2 Landcruiser vx's...totally unburstable. They just go for ever. Will sell my 01 for 12.5k with 130km on clock...faultless and havent bothered to advertise it yet.
    haha,unburstable couldnt have described it better myself.is your cruiser a jap import?

yeap....in reality they are all jap imports. ex burton....just too much metal in driveway. Jeep is perfect, new nct etc.

When's the last time you heard head gasket gone in a 4.2? I bet never.....those engines are truck quality. Pal of mine with the supposed unburstable 300GD g wagen...head gasket blew recently. I am a big fan of those toyotas but I think one is enough. Of both cruisers I only had 1 snag and thats with the newer one. The steering rake/ up down motor calved but they are a common prob......otherwise just like swiss watches.

I caution those looking at a cheap range rover....dont.Those p38's 2.5's are asmatic, the 4.6 v8's blow and the elecs are crud. Even the newer ones will break your heart.

Jap all the way. The big LC is certainly the daddy. The only jeep I'd avoid is the nissan terrano. I hear their 4 pot diesel is rough and the wheel base is very narrow....cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Puncell

yeap....in reality they are all jap imports. ex burton....just too much metal in driveway. Jeep is perfect, new nct etc.

When's the last time you heard head gasket gone in a 4.2? I bet never.....those engines are truck quality. Pal of mine with the supposed unburstable 300GD g wagen...head gasket blew recently. I am a big fan of those toyotas but I think one is enough. Of both cruisers I only had 1 snag and thats with the newer one. The steering rake/ up down motor calved but they are a common prob......otherwise just like swiss watches.

I caution those looking at a cheap range rover....dont.Those p38's 2.5's are asmatic, the 4.6 v8's blow and the elecs are crud. Even the newer ones will break your heart.

Jap all the way. The big LC is certainly the daddy. The only jeep I'd avoid is the nissan terrano. I hear their 4 pot diesel is rough and the wheel base is very narrow....cheers

Totally agree with bearcat - have a 95 trooper myself, and was thinking of upgrading - looked at a lot of yokes and himmed and hawwed and then test drove a 99 amazon commercial - a hell of a job - the commercail tax swings it for me - so im officially on the look out - anyone interested in a good trooper?????

i have seen LC100's as crew cabs such is the area in the rear....you could change my yoke to a comm. :rolleyes: would prob cost too much to re do?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

i have seen LC100's as crew cabs such is the area in the rear....you could change my yoke to a comm. :rolleyes: would prob cost too much to re do?

I have spotted one alright.

It needed to get the boot extended slightly. Was done by cutting out the floor and replacing it with a box section. The exhaust had to be re-routed too.

Do not believe it can done anymore though.

Advertisement