Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland V Bulgaria Photo Comp

• 30-03-2009 10:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭

The Entries!

3399143259_a370c1103d.jpg

3399142277_b5c8009f27.jpg

3399956924_0c124aa864.jpg

3399956026_2054a0acdc.jpg

3399944952_0296569814.jpg

3399948666_603b890274.jpg

3399947538_0ea5dc32e8.jpg

3399181573_12655ff245.jpg

3399136563_d3e1080d02.jpg

3399135875_e7c753c6fb.jpg

3399946630_f757881534.jpg

Pls feel free to discuss the entries, no revealing who took what, poll will close next monday at 22.30

Which in your Opinion is the best Picture? 89 votes

Pic 1
    0% 0 votes
    Pic 2
    22% 20 votes
    Pic 3
    4% 4 votes
    Pic 4
    14% 13 votes
    Pic 5
    1% 1 vote
    Pic 6
    4% 4 votes
    Pic 7
    0% 0 votes
    Pic 8
    4% 4 votes
    Pic 9
    6% 6 votes
    Pic 10
    1% 1 vote
    Pic 11
    40% 36 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Sightaridis

I went with number 10. All the images are great, but 10 sums up the night for me and I really like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Gambler

Hmm Had a tough time choosing one, went with 7 but 3 is a close second for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

Did I win?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Few honourable mentions b4 I say my winner.

#2 is good capture but the quality lets it down and so I can't give it the prestigious Janer award

#10 is the opposite, the sharpness and quality is superb.

#3 is a very good capture but because not enough of the ball is showing it doesn't quite do it for me.

#8 while a great photo is too me out of place here, yes it's at the game but the compo was for the footy on the pitch no?

#11 is a great capture but cropped way too tight :p:p

The winner for me is #1
    While it's not as sharp as some of the others and yes it is cropped a bit too tight I love the capture of Hunt taking the ball on his instep, his curly mop adds to the sense of a flowing move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

This is gonna be a very tough competition.

Brilliant photos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

Paulw wrote: »
    This is gonna be a very tough competition.

Brilliant photos.

I am hoping to get a pro to critique the photos next week when the poll closes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

Sh1t!!!! I thought the number was under the photo and voted for the wrong one. Looking at the voting I'm fairly sure I'm not the only one.. :mad:

On (quick) reflection, maybe not. 8 is mine hands down. Sums up the match perfectly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

To be fair, I had to go back up to the top to see which came first, the number or the photo. I did vote for the right one though. ;)
    Valentia wrote: »
    Sh1t!!!! I thought the number was under the photo and voted for the wrong one. Looking at the voting I'm fairly sure I'm not the only one.. :mad:

#8 while a great photo is too me out of place here, yes it's at the game but the compo was for the footy on the pitch no?

I'm surprised you would say that. From what you were saying on the other thread I thought you would like an alternative take on things. I love it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭conkeroo

I went with number 10. Tack sharp, great positioning of elements and amazingly lit to create such an atmospheric shot.

• Advertisement

I also like the player in the background doing the same arms to the head pose as Keane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 shooter77

Here is my c&c, may sound very critical, but with so many good pictures, it was to only way to narrow it down.

1 - great action picture, as good as ive seen on here in a long time, great composition, great depth of field
    2 - not sharp enough on the subject
    3 - good action, BUT not enough depth of field, and although i understand your restircted, the angle of the photographer is just too high, great advert for lucozade
    4 - good action picture but let down by the bulgiarian guys hand missing
    5 - not enough in this
    6 - poor crop, and not an 'action' picture, i.e. two men and a ball
    7 - The buldiarian guy is too far away for this picture to be a good action shot, more of a portrait type shot of Doyle
    8 - loving this picture, so different, sums up the match, good composition great in B&W
    9 - with the bulgairan player going away from the camera it dosent do anything for me
    10 - Great picture, any chance there mite be some more to the picture on the left for him to look into? Great capture.
    11- Good action picture, but, the crop has let it down, too tight!

Narrowed down to 1, 8 and 10
    and choose 10 , with the hope there is a bit more to the left of the frame in the original, but a good capture

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭shepthedog

Some superb examples of sports photography, many of which wouldnt look out of place in the national newspapers... Well done to all..

10 would get my number two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

10 would get my number two.

Thats a bit harsh ... even if you dont like it theres no need to poo poo the pic :p

shooter77 wrote: »
    and chopse 8 , with the hope there is a bit more to the left of the frame in the original, but a good capture

You must have been fooled by the number on top like me. 8 has no votes :eek:

Saint_Mel wrote: »
    Thats a bit harsh ... even if you dont like it theres no need to poo poo the pic :p

:D:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 shooter77

My bad, a typo, change my original post to number 10

Was this poll linked to the footy forum?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Its no. 10 for me.
    Love the image quality, the narrow dof and the out of focus guys at the back in disappointment along with the subject... Great composition, great quality, great image, great pic!

• Advertisement

Are you saying it's great?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

3 floats my boat.

As soon as i saw it. The balls there, this picture doesnt need it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

2 gets my vote, even if the image itself isn't necessarily the sharpest.

I think it's a really good capture given the fact that is shows that everyone's attention is on the flight of the ball and the fact that it's uncertain whether the ball is going in or not. The tension in the stances of the players and the uncertain expectancy is why I think it's the best of the pictures. It might be let down a little by the fact that there could be more emphasis on the players but the fact that the picture needs to be include the goalposts, the ball as well as the players to work just shows how difficult a picture it was to obtain and this is why I would forgive it for the lack of sharpness.

In pretty much all of the other pics the action being captured is fairly standard in terms of a football match and apart from possibly number 10, none of them really manage to distil the essence of the match into one picture the way number 2 does. Number 10 does manage to capture the frustration of the game but at it's heart it's only really a capture of Robbie Keane in dismay, which is a pretty common occurance and as such is not all that difficult an image to capture. I'm also not that keen about the two other players behind him which I think manage to mess up the composition of the picture.

I'm probably being exceptionally harsh here especially considering I would be unable to manage anything approaching any of the shots posted. However I do think that the key element of sports photography is managing the trick of capturing the action, energy and effort of the game in a still image and I feel that number 2 best achieves this, even if it might be let down a little on the picture clarity side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭Trouser_Press

Enjoyed looking at them, great idea for a thread/poll.

Torn between 8 & 10, they're the only ones that really hint at the story of the night - frustration. The others are, mainly, just nice shots, but could have been taken any time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭Trouser_Press

:o I just voted for the wrong one too :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Great job guys! Really good photos that I enjoyed studying for a few minutes.

In the end I voted for 10, sneaking it over 8. Modern top level sport (rightly or wrongly) is about more than just competing. It's about the joy or agony of the result as much as anything - both for the players and the fans. All these photos are great, but 8 and 10 manage to tell the story of the game aswell as being interesting on the eye in their own right.

I guess there is a lot of luck in capturing a great shot aswell btw. 8 is a super idea, and almost pulled off to perfection. The photographer in that instance just got unlucky that someone bent down or inadvertently placed their hands in the frame, leaving an obstruction in the top left hand corner. I really wanted to vote for that picture, but that obstruction takes away from it enough (though not by much) that I went for 10. Bad luck detracting from a great idea that I imagine was very difficult to execute.

So 10 it is, a class picture of Keane. Who says these guys don't care? :)

Looks like a clear 1-2-3.

Plenty of votes at least and a fun competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Number 1 for me

And the results are?????

Come on, name the photographers for each image. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Ho_hum

And the results are?????

Come on, name the photographers for each image. :D

I take it you won?

Ho_hum wrote: »
    I take it you won?

Nope, wasn't me. I'm just curious as to who it is, although I've a good idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

In third Mr Shepthedog

In Second PaulW

And the winner and your New Boards.ie International Soccer photography champion is Irish 147

Well done Michael. Great photo.

A fun competition, for sure and worth the entry.

Next competition at a rugby game?????? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭City-Exile

Congrats to Irish 147.
    I voted for your pic myself.

This isn't a gripe, just an observation, but I think the images should be 800px on the longest side.
    Having them so small didn't do justice to many of them.

Also, the suggestion above that it's down to luck is an insult to everyone involved.
    If you've gone to the trouble to position yourself, set your camera appropriately and photograph the player, luck can not be considered as a factor.

I for one don't believe in luck and like to quote Louis Pasteur when he said, "chance favours the prepared mind."

City-Exile wrote: »
    This isn't a gripe, just an observation, but I think the images should be 800px on the longest side.
    Having them so small didn't do justice to many of them.

I have to agree there. Larger would have been better (but probably wouldn't have altered the end result).
    Also, the suggestion above that it's down to luck is an insult to everyone involved.
    If you've gone to the trouble to position yourself, set your camera appropriately and photograph the player, luck can not be considered as a factor.

I disagree with that. Of course luck has a bit to play. Yes, you definitely need to be prepared - camera setup correctly, etc, but it is luck as to what way a player faces, at such a moment. For the Robbie Keane photo, if he turned more to his left, the image would have had less impact, and a photographer on the other side would have had a totally different image.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

I disagree with that. Of course luck has a bit to play. Yes, you definitely need to be prepared - camera setup correctly, etc, but it is luck as to what way a player faces, at such a moment. For the Robbie Keane photo, if he turned more to his left, the image would have had less impact, and a photographer on the other side would have had a totally different image.

He would've been facing me full on then and I would've won :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭shepthedog

Congrats to Irish147 and to everyone who took part.. Some really quality images..
    Roll on the next challenge!!! How about away in Sofia?? I am sure boards will pay for flights etc etc.!!

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭irish147

Thanks for voting for my photo of Robbie, but Mr Shepthedog, and PaulW images also could have won, but its nice to read view on each image, and its a good way to learn about Soccer photography. I have only done a few games, its good fun, and lets get ready for the next game.

Thanks

Michael

(Its back to Tennis and Snooker for me now :(:( ))
    In third Mr Shepthedog

In Second PaulW

And the winner and your New Boards.ie International Soccer photography champion is Irish 147

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

shepthedog wrote: »
    Congrats to Irish147 and to everyone who took part.. Some really quality images..
    Roll on the next challenge!!! How about away in Sofia?? I am sure boards will pay for flights etc etc.!!

I'm there!

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭irish147

kensutz wrote: »
    I'm there!

Sofia --- if there is no wex gaa games on that weekend, I'd pop over to Sofia :):)

• Advertisement

irish147 wrote: »
    Thanks for voting for my photo of Robbie, but Mr Shepthedog, and PaulW images also could have won, but its nice to read view on each image, and its a good way to learn about Soccer photography. I have only done a few games, its good fun, and lets get ready for the next game.

Thanks

Michael

(Its back to Tennis and Snooker for me now :(:( ))

Congratulations irish147, I was too late an arrival to vote for your photo, but I would have done - it's a beaut! Summed up the mood of the evening, which, to me, is the real skill.

Loved the McGeady photo too, beautifully composed, a lovely shot. A superb standalone image, regardless of the circumstances of the game.

No offence but the Hunt shot was pretty ordinary, maybe it's my monitor but it didn't look as vivid or technically expert as the Keane and McGeady photos. Was it taken by a fan from the stands?

Congratulations again irish147!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭City-Exile

I disagree with that.

That's because you believe in luck, Paulw! :p
    I don't and I will persist until I get the shots I want.

I also believe in magic. :D

Actually, I'd be curious to know who each image belongs to in the comp, all 1-11.

I don't and I will persist until I get the shots I want.

As the old quote put it, "I'm a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it".

Jefferson would doff his cap to you, City-Exile. ;)

Advertisement