Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wildcamping Question

• 30-03-2009 10:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hi, I am an infrequent browser of the motorhome threads so maybe I should know the answer to this already but I just wanted to know what the warnings against wildcamping in the recommended places was about.
    I've done a bit of this over the last few years without problems so the remarks made me wonder what sort of trouble people were hinting at. If somebody could let me know I'd be very grateful. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

Hi, I am an infrequent browser of the motorhome threads so maybe I should know the answer to this already but I just wanted to know what the warnings against wildcamping in the recommended places was about.
    I've done a bit of this over the last few years without problems so the remarks made me wonder what sort of trouble people were hinting at. If somebody could let me know I'd be very grateful. Thanks.

I dont do any wild camping but i would imagine that any "wild spot" that you find (unless it's absolutely miles from anywhere) has the possibility of being frequented by people local to the area (desirable or undesirable as they may be). That's a bit cryptic I know. Could be anything from messers in cars, to people drinking, to doggers!!! Or people who object to wild camping. Or just people out for a walk around in a scenic area. You never know. That's the chance you take.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56 ✭✭pickledfish

Thanks.

I agree on the point you make about the sort of scenarios you can come across. Having said that I've been lucky enough to have had no experience of it myself so far.

I suppose the thing that I never really understood was what is the legal situation with regard to overnighting like this. I thought there may have been some previous discussion on that.

Any ideas where you stand in that regard?

I think there are bye laws governing overnight parking. Basically you are being an itinerant (I mean that in the nicest way!!) I suppose you could be told to move on by the Garda if they wanted to enforce those laws?? I'm not sure?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

We haven't had a bad wildcamping experience yet. All positive so far. We stop at the various marinas along the Shannon and along the canals. There's lots of pubs out there too with large carparks who appreciate the business. We always ask for permission or ask a local if there's any problem parking in the area.
    In recessionary times perhaps people may become more welcoming and appreciate additional business in their areas.

stapeler wrote: »
    We haven't had a bad wildcamping experience yet. All positive so far. We stop at the various marinas along the Shannon and along the canals. There's lots of pubs out there too with large carparks who appreciate the business. We always ask for permission or ask a local if there's any problem parking in the area.
    In recessionary times perhaps people may become more welcoming and appreciate additional business in their areas.

Pub carpark. I like your style!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

Lots of them out there, usually the rural ones where they love to see new customers coming and spending a few quid ;)

Advertisement