Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LC points question?

Options
  • 30-03-2009 10:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

I understand that for LC you have to take English, Irish, Maths (all compulsory unless exempt from Irish), a modern language, and two other choices. My question is if I take say 4 other choices ( I know its a lot), when it comes to calculating points will they just take my best 6 grades or are English, Irish and Maths automatically included? I'm asking this because I am considering taking A Levels instead of LC due to the fact that it is compulsory to take Irish and I'm trying to figure out whether there is a loop hole around it, while still doing LC?! :p Thanks all help appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Heyy nope they take your best 6 out of any range of subjects, but you would still need certain requirements in English, Irish and Maths. Its not compulsory to take a modern language aswel but you need 1 to get into a NUI (Galway, UCD and Maynooth) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

It will be your top 6 regardless of which subjects you do. Having specific grades in specific subjects is only relevant when it comes to applying for university.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Richard Cranium

Not exactly. You don't have to take a modern European language for the Leaving Cert, but you will need a pass (in pass or honours) in one to get into most universities. You won't need a language to get into an IT though.

Most schools teach seven subjects for the Leaving Cert. I don't know of any that only does six. Doing eight subjects is going to be a bit more work, but it should be manageable enough if you are actually willing to work at all of them.

Only your top six results are counted for points, regardless of what subjects they are (ie: english; maths; and, especially in your case, irish, do not have to be counted), or how many you do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭zonEEE

Just a bit of advise, if your school does LCVP go for it, its 70 easy points which you can sub in for a subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

According to Department of Education regulations, irish is the only compulsory subject, unless you're exempt.

English, maths and a modern language are not compulsory, but many universities have a minimum requirement in regard to them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement