Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are Irish Papers cheaper in the UK

Options
  • 30-03-2009 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭

I occasionally buy the Irish Times or Independent, over here in London, for the Rugby Coverage, and it costs £1 an issue. Slightly over a euro.

Yet the same paper in Ireland costs €1.70 if I remember.

Why is this?

I know papers make most of their money from advertising, but since most of the ads don't apply to customers in the UK, they don't add much to the advertising value of the paper, so surely it should be more expensive.

Also, there are only 2 Irish papers available commonly in the UK, whereas Ireland has much more. So each paper has less competition among customers looking for Irish news.

So why are they so expensive in Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

VAT is a big factor in why magazines are more expensive in Ireland than in England. I wonder if that also applies to newspapers?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

It's due to VAT. Ireland is one of the few countries in the world which taxes reading material.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Well Vat is only 21% so, it should be maybe €1.25 max.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I'd imagine part of it is so that the prices are close to the prices of similarly formatted English papers.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Everything costs more in Ireland. Why? Because we like to rip people off. Even in a recession we're still at it. There's really no logical reason if you do the maths, but it's not like logical reasons are needed anyway... people just pay it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭Fluffybums

I occaisionaly buy a British paper over here and I'm sure they are cheaper than the Irish paper.
    Have an odd fealing that I have bought the Irish and British Sunday Independent and the Brit one was cheaper:confused: - I could be wrong, can't even check as I've just recycled a pile of papers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

I'd say the competition mainly.

All of the other UK broadsheets are 90p or £1.

An Irish paper at the same price point will sell. If it's 50% more it won't.

SSE

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Everything costs more in Ireland. Why? Because we like to rip people off. .

Your including our employers when collecting our paychecks in that I assume?

Advertisement