Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland v Bulgaria C&C

• 30-03-2009 11:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭

I missed the poll but here's a few from saturday. C&C welcome.

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Good action in all the shots but not the quality/sharpness of the regular 'pro/semi togs' from here.. what lens did you use?

#2 Is the sharpest/quality out of all of 'em, all great action shots though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭conkeroo

Good action in all the shots but not the quality/sharpness of the regular 'pro/semi togs' from here.. what lens did you use?

#2 Is the sharpest/quality out of all of 'em, all great action shots though.
    I was using 80-200 f2.8. At 200 it just doesn't have the reach so I had to crop quite heavily. Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭soccerc

conkeroo wrote: »
    I was using 80-200 f2.8. At 200 it just doesn't have the reach so I had to crop quite heavily. Cheers.

There is nothing wrong with your images at all. Technically you could use a little exposure compensation to lighten up the dark spots. At 2.8 on the 80-200 you sholdn;t really need it. I shot at 500mm 4.8 and compensated between 1/6th and 1/3rd depending on where the background was

Incidentally, the lighting in Croker for 'soccer' is only up to 1000 lux, for rugby it's 1200 and hurling 1500.

soccerc wrote: »
    There is nothing wrong with your images at all. Technically you could use a little exposure compensation to lighten up the dark spots. At 2.8 on the 80-200 you sholdn;t really need it. I shot at 500mm 4.8 and compensated between 1/6th and 1/3rd depending on where the background was

Incidentally, the lighting in Croker for 'soccer' is only up to 1000 lux, for rugby it's 1200 and hurling 1500.
    I'm just looking at them and a couple are slightly underexposed. I metered manually and it would have been fine but I was moving between settings. I really didn't want to up the iso to even 800 as my D80 is useless for noise but in the end I had to go with it.

I'm just looking at them and a couple are slightly underexposed. I metered manually and it would have been fine but I was moving between settings. I really didn't want to up the iso to even 800 as my D80 is useless for noise but in the end I had to go with it.

Right so, the D80 is indeed horrible above iso 800.

When I use the D50 as a third body under lights I'd set it up thus, spot meter, iso800, Shutter 1/500 or even 1/640 and aperture 2.8 and use exposure compensation by between .66 and 1.

• Advertisement

Right so, the D80 is indeed horrible above iso 800.

When I use the D50 as a third body under lights I'd set it up thus, spot meter, iso800, Shutter 1/500 or even 1/640 and aperture 2.8 and use exposure compensation by between .66 and 1.
    That's pretty much how I was setup but i've noticed that the lighting isn't completely uniform in Croke Park, so when the Bulgarians were coming down the left wing in the first half, the light was just that bit worse. That caught me out slightly. The 500 at f4.8, what iso were you using?

That's pretty much how I was setup but i've noticed that the lighting isn't completely uniform in Croke Park, so when the Bulgarians were coming down the left wing in the first half, the light was just that bit worse. That caught me out slightly. Was that a D3 body with the 500 at f4.8?

it was a D3.

The lighting is uniform enough at between +1 and +3 meters above ground, below or above that you will notice the hot and cold spots

Next time look up into the gods and see how half the lighting is not used for 'soccer' compared to the eggchasing and stick fighting;)

Next time look up into the gods and see how half the lighting is not used for 'soccer' compared to the eggchasing and stick fighting;)
    And there was me thinking that they'd gotten over the whole soccer at croke park thing. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭bullpost

Possibly because compared to those two , theres not a lot to see in your typical soccer match ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Shame you didn't get to enter the competition.

I really like #2. Nice images.

• Advertisement
Advertisement