Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

College application?

Options
  • 31-03-2009 12:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

I am considering applying to Oxford for college. I understand that Irish universities provide minimum amounts of points for courses.. But does anyone know what the minimum to apply for say Economics and Management at Oxford would be? I know that for students in the UK studying A-Levels the minimum requirement is 3 A's at A level with certain specifications for certain courses... Would this translate to LC i.e. 6 A's (honours obviously) i.e. 600 points? Or is there a certain amount of leeway? Any help or insight appreciated :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭D.R cowboy

Sorry lad you need to have applyed in september

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 qwerty4

D.R cowboy wrote: »
    Sorry lad you need to have applyed in september

I'm only in TY at the moment. Just considering all options and whether it may be worthwhile doing A-Levels instead of LC that's all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

I applied to Cambridge to study physics but I assume they would have a similar system in Oxford. If I remember clearly, the Leaving Certificate was recognised and I dont believe there was an bias towards admitting A-level students.
    You should also take into account, that you may be asked to go over to oxford and sit one of their aptitude tests.
    Whats wrong with Irish universities anyway?:p

Edit: I must say Kudos on the initiative. Many students wait until the week before the CAO deadline when choosing courses

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

OP would you like this moved to the GB/NI colleges forum? Might get a lot of people in the know there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 qwerty4

Piste wrote: »
    OP would you like this moved to the GB/NI colleges forum? Might get a lot of people in the know there.

Thanks didn't realise there was a NI/GB college forum! Kinda new to this thing :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

My friend has a conditional offer right now from Cambridge. I'd say it'd be quite similar to Oxford. First, you need to send a personal essay to them. This details what you love about that subject, why you want to do it, etc. You also need a recommendation from your principal. After that, you'll get invited for an aptitude test and an interview. Then, they'll give you a conditional offer if they think you're good enough. My friend has to get an A1 in Maths, Economics and Applied Maths and then 2 A's in any other subjects so the requirements are definitely really hard.

It's a lot of work to put in. The personal essay will take a while to write. The aptitude test and interview will see if you're fit for the course. Then, you've got to get some high results in the LC. Another friend of mine was refused after the interview. It's a lot of hard work but it's definitely worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Des23

Fringe wrote: »
    My friend has a conditional offer right now from Cambridge. I'd say it'd be quite similar to Oxford. First, you need to send a personal essay to them. This details what you love about that subject, why you want to do it, etc. You also need a recommendation from your principal. After that, you'll get invited for an aptitude test and an interview. Then, they'll give you a conditional offer if they think you're good enough. My friend has to get an A1 in Maths, Economics and Applied Maths and then 2 A's in any other subjects so the requirements are definitely really hard.

It's a lot of work to put in. The personal essay will take a while to write. The aptitude test and interview will see if you're fit for the course. Then, you've got to get some high results in the LC. Another friend of mine was refused after the interview. It's a lot of hard work but it's definitely worth it.

What does your friend want to do?

Advertisement