Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Psychopaths and Cyclepaths

• 31-03-2009 12:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Does anybody know what the difference is between continuous lines and broken lines on cycle lanes ? Cheers
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭stuf

like any other lines on the road, continuous means you can't cross it and broken means you can.

Practically this means that it's illegal for a car to cross a continuous a continuous lined cycle lane and cannot park there in any circumstances.

On broken lined lanes, drivers can cross if necessary which generally translates to "if they want" - a car can legally park in a broken lined cycle lane as long as a clearway is not in operation - red X in red circle with times underneath

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

stuf wrote: »
    like any other lines on the road, continuous means you can't cross it and broken means you can.

Practically this means that it's illegal for a car to cross a continuous a continuous lined cycle lane and cannot park there in any circumstances.

On broken lined lanes, drivers can cross if necessary which generally translates to "if they want" - a car can legally park in a broken lined cycle lane as long as a clearway is not in operation - red X in red circle with times underneath

I think there is a 30 minute limit on the parking time for dashed line cycle lanes

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭stuf

Gavin wrote: »
    I think there is a 30 minute limit on the parking time for dashed line cycle lanes

I think you're right but practically there isn't really in this "ah yer grand" world that we live in

...what's this about psychopaths?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

stuf wrote: »

In theory that is what is meant to happen but there are too many solid white line cycle paths are the corners of junctions that it is near impossible not to cross the line when turning left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭oflahero

Maybe the psychopaths are the motorcyclists who think they can use the bike lanes. I had to bawl a scooter out of it on the Grand Canal this morning when smartypants thought he'd skip past traffic in the bike lane, and then got stuck behind a slower cyclist in front. Very satisfying, great sense of civic duty. Of course, I then went on to break a red light, so no moral high ground for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

The motorbiking community in Dublin truly seem to be the neglected vehicle. Their numbers are smaller than virtually every other vehicle user. If I was riding one I'd be pretty pissed off with having to sit with the cars too.

Advertisement