Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AN POST-Large packet

Options
  • 31-03-2009 12:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭

instead of going to post office I put stamps on a package to a certain value and gave to postman collecting from postbox.my only worry is if the value of stamps is not enough,will they still deliver the packet:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I think that if the value of the stamps was insufficient to cover the postage, then they ask the recipient to pay the balance pending.

I think that they can't refuse to deliver a letter/parcel etc just because it doesn't have enough stamps.

I'd like confirmation on this though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

That's usually the case, the recipient will be asked to pay. I don't know if they can refuse to deliver it. If it had a return address, they might send it back to you, but I think delivery is more likely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

I work for An Post from time to time and I'd say you can be 99.9% sure the package will get there without anyone being asked to pay, especially if it in from an Irish address to another irish address. People handling the post haven't a clue how much postage is per KG and nor do they care, they are just there to sort it and nothing else.

There is a dedicated underpayments section for letters with no stamps on them ( yes this does happen ) but they literally have one or two people working (slowly) in it for a plant that does over 2m letters a day. Most staff there who see letters with no stamps on them just put it down to forgetfulness on behalf of the sender and let them go onwards unhindered.

Royal Mail are far more strict on these things- they will ask the recipient for the extra postage for sure or if it is going to Ireland ( where they cant get the extra postage needed ) they will put a sticker on it saying it has been "Diverted to an alternative service because of underpayment of postage" which is code for saying that the letter will sit in a box in a Royal Mail plant for a few weeks till they decide to move it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Royal Mail are far more strict on these things- they will ask the recipient for the extra postage for sure or if it is going to Ireland ( where they cant get the extra postage needed ) they will put a sticker on it saying it has been "Diverted to an alternative service because of underpayment of postage" which is code for saying that the letter will sit in a box in a Royal Mail plant for a few weeks till they decide to move it on.[/QUOTE]

one hundred and fifty sixth class mail!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Royal mails service to Ireland is the pits generally...

So fcuking slow....:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement