Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bait fishing for trout

Options
  • 31-03-2009 1:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭

In my opinion, this is an under-appreciated aspect of angling. Obviously, it should only be done where it is allowed by authorities. However, it is great fun, and it seems that fly-fishermen tend to frown upon it unfairly.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

I agree, it's skillful and effective.

Why is it frowned upon?
    I can think of 2 big reasons whereby some bait anglers break the local rules and get all bait anglers a bad name ...
    - use of groundbait and free feeding maggots which encourages quick swallowing of small baits and leads to deep hooking. Too many bait anglers (FOR TROUT) flout rules blatantly by groundbaiting.
    - mostly the very same anglers striking late and deep hooking immature fish which are found bleeding or dead later by other anglers, and they very naturally bring it up and vote at the next club AGM.

personally I think freelining a single small worm with maybe a single small shot to keep it down is just as skillful as fly fishing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭Bratach Bán

Excactly - a worm with a couple of shot is what I usually use. Barbless hooks only, of course, but that's what I use all the time anyway, whether fishing for pike, trout or general coarse fish.

Nothing beats working your way up a river with a minimum of tackle, casting into likely looking stretches, flicking the bait into tight spots and controlling it as it moves downstream in the current.

Your points about striking early are very important - especially if you're fishing a bait fixed to the bottom. And groundbaiting for trout is something I would never do - nor would I ever recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

coolwings wrote: »
    I agree, it's skillful and effective.

Why is it frowned upon?
    I can think of 2 big reasons whereby some bait anglers break the local rules and get all bait anglers a bad name ...
    - use of groundbait and free feeding maggots which encourages quick swallowing of small baits and leads to deep hooking. Too many bait anglers (FOR TROUT) flout rules blatantly by groundbaiting.
    - mostly the very same anglers striking late and deep hooking immature fish which are found bleeding or dead later by other anglers, and they very naturally bring it up and vote at the next club AGM.

personally I think freelining a single small worm with maybe a single small shot to keep it down is just as skillful as fly fishing

this is exactly how I fish for trout.

Advertisement