Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paladin tanking.

Options
  • 31-03-2009 3:21am

So I'm almost lvl 77 and should be 80 in the next few days, I'm wondering what type of gear should I be aiming for as a paladin tank?

Do I need spell power/int etc?
    Have been playing as ret so far but I've tanked a bit as Prot while leveling. Going to switch back at 79 and use the last level to gear up in instances. I've already got a stash of +def plate but it's mostly quest rewards so isn't the best.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

You need defense, stamina, block rating and block value. The other defensive stats are useful also.

You are better off sticking with ret once you hit 80 and crafting the decent epic defense gear until you can hit crit immunity. You can also run instances and pick up tank gear where you feel comfortable ninja'ing and/or in guild groups.

Stamina translates into spell power and your mana is constantly full these days with the new and improved blessing of Sanctuary and Hammer of the Righteous/Seal of Wisdom combo, so I wouldnt worry about int.

Your main priorities are Defense up to cap and then as much stamina as you can get.

The other defenses will come with the stamina, so long as you dont entirely gimp yourself with greens "of the defense" stick with blues and epics that prioritorise stamina and stick in defense, defense/stamina or stamina gems as appropriate.
    Once you hit about 28-30k hp you should be focusing on block value for threat/more mitigation. At about 1.2k buffed block value, focus almost primarily on block rating but thats a decent ways off.

Why do you say I should stay ret at 80? It's not too hard to gear up to 25k+ HP and 535 def so I can start heroics.

hmm

So hit is useless for me?

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    Why do you say I should stay ret at 80? It's not too hard to gear up to 25k+ HP and 535 def so I can start heroics.

hmm

So hit is useless for me?
    I would say stay ret at 80 because it used to be alot harder to gear up to 25k+ hp and 535 def as soon as you hit 80. If you can do that without too much trouble, then be my guest ;)

However, keep in mind that a substantial amount of the blue drops from heroics will be replaced fairly quickly with craftables and badge loot, not to mention drops from pug naxx/Vault runs. But in order to do those, you'll either need to be a dps or else in pretty decent gear. DPS can generally scrub their way into most pugs :)

Hit isnt useless, but with the Glyph of Righteous Defense (which you should have) you simply need another 8% hit rating to never miss with it. This combined with the fact that you now have a second taunt and both of them are on <8 second CD along with the normal, run-of-the-day burst threat that paladins can do as is; means it's not really an issue.

In terms of threat and mitigation: Expertise is generally greater than hit for paladins but it's really down to a personal preference. Once I hit 8% and never missed with Righteous Defense, I never thought about the stat again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,587 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Ivan wrote: »
    In terms of threat and mitigation: Expertise is generally greater than hit for paladins but it's really down to a personal preference. Once I hit 8% and never missed with Righteous Defense, I never thought about the stat again :)
    Erm... I thought +hit was more important than expertise for pally tanks, as expertise will only affect white hits? I don't know too much about pally tanks, but I thought their yellow hits were not physical and therefore not affected by expertise

edit -> Not saying expertise isn't important (due to enemy overpower-like moves), but it isn't as important for a pally as it is for, say, a warrior tank.

Erm... I thought +hit was more important than expertise for pally tanks, as expertise will only affect white hits? I don't know too much about pally tanks, but I thought their yellow hits were not physical and therefore not affected by expertise

edit -> Not saying expertise isn't important (due to enemy overpower-like moves), but it isn't as important for a pally as it is for, say, a warrior tank.
    Parry haste is the bane of all tanks existence. If your attack is parried, then your target's next attack arrives faster.

Also, paladins yellow hits rely on the white hits, aside from the specials. However paladin specials are similar to warrior and druid ones, in that they require significantly less hit rating to be capped. Something like 8% which is all you need to cap Righteous Defense too :)

Hit rating is similar to Warrior hit rating requirements, in that you need to cap your taunt and your specials but expertise has the same effective result as hit chance as it reduces the chance that your whites and yellows wont be dodged or parried and also reduces the chance to be parry gibbed.

It's a more expensive stat naturally, but it is still incredibly effective. So in effect, it is just as important for paladins as it is for warriors especially since alot of paladins specials are affected by it in the same way as warriors are, or arent - as the case maybe :)

Apologise if I'm getting confusing, just quote me if you want better clarification on any parts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

quick question.... ive heard the phrase of paladins to 'pop a bubble' whats this?
    and is assasination the best way to lvl up a rogue? currently lvl35 and gone combat route with plenty of good (blues/agility/stamina/strength)gear!

quick question.... ive heard the phrase of paladins to 'pop a bubble' whats this?
    and is assasination the best way to lvl up a rogue? currently lvl35 and gone combat route with plenty of good (blues/agility/stamina/strength)gear!

It's a spell that protects the caster from all damage for 12 seconds while still allowing them to attack at 50% normal damage.

Ivan, I'm beginning to agree with you on going the whole ret route until I can get rep/badge gear. I wrongly assumed that 1 def on gear = 1 def on stats but I was wrong :o

Can you tell me what the basic def is at 80 for a pala? And roughly how much def I will need gear wise to crack 535?
    I'm just assuming here that basic def scales with level, because I seem to only have +72 def atm on my stats which is about 350 def on gear at level 78, however my def is about 470 in total.

Bit of a confusing way to explain it but I think you'll know what I mean

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Corinthian

Gear usually gives defense rating, which (at level 80) converts to defense skill at roughly 4.9 defense rating = 1 defense skill.

To get 535 skill (to be uncrittable in 5-man heroics) you need:

400 skill (defense skill maxed at lvl 80)
    +
    135 skill = 664 defense rating from gear.

aha! sexy mate, cheers.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

So, once i get to the 25k and 535 skill (uncrittable), should i be able to tank any heroic instance? I'm gonna be speccing Prot in the next few days, and have been slowly building up my gear for this (while specced Ret). Hoping to get the Red Sword of Courage and the Royal Crest of Lordaeron tonight. Should i spend the mats on getting the Titansteel Helm and Boots, or are there similar drops from heroics?

What about how to tank. What are the best blessings to use (Sanctuary?), and should i be spamming Consecrate? Is mana ever an issue?

• Advertisement

Titansteel boots and helm blow every non-heroic and most heroic and raid stuff, completely out of the water.

It's really up to you what you replace first, but there are decent blue drops that could hold you for a while, for the helm slot, while significantly less in the boots slot.

Mana is very rarely an issue, between Spiritual Attunement, Blessing of Sanctuary and Seal of Wisdom + Hammer of the Righteous, you actually need to work at going oom ;)

Consecration is good, and should be a large factor in your rotation - however it is not as mindlessly spammable as it once used to be. Use your specific single target threat tools, combined with overlapping Hammers and Consecrate and you should have no difficulty holding aggro. Remember to use your taunts liberally nowadays, Hand of Salvation/Hand of Protection and your taunts are sometimes all the threat generation you need to do :)

Ok so at the mo I've about 27.3k hp, 551def, 20 dodge, 16.5 parry, and about 18.5 block unbuffed.

But..Today I was running CoT timed and whilst we did it grand, the healer commented that I take an awful lot of damage and that he had to use his cooldowns etc when he "normally doesn't". I would have thought that my gear was fine for breezing CoT, so I'm just wondering where exactly I'm going wrong..

Should I ditch some def and go for Stam instead? I was keeping sacred shield up and and hitting holy shield at every cooldown

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Outland&n=Rojadin is the armory if you can point me in the right direction. Currently I'm saved in nearly every raid but I'm hoping to get a bit more gear when they reset. I'm just a bit puzzled as surely another 2k stam and maybe 1 or 2% dodge/parry/block wouldn't make an overly big impact on the damage I take in heroics..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    Ok so at the mo I've about 27.3k hp, 551def, 20 dodge, 16.5 parry, and about 18.5 block unbuffed.

But..Today I was running CoT timed and whilst we did it grand, the healer commented that I take an awful lot of damage and that he had to use his cooldowns etc when he "normally doesn't". I would have thought that my gear was fine for breezing CoT, so I'm just wondering where exactly I'm going wrong..

Should I ditch some def and go for Stam instead? I was keeping sacred shield up and and hitting holy shield at every cooldown

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Outland&n=Rojadin is the armory if you can point me in the right direction. Currently I'm saved in nearly every raid but I'm hoping to get a bit more gear when they reset. I'm just a bit puzzled as surely another 2k stam and maybe 1 or 2% dodge/parry/block wouldn't make an overly big impact on the damage I take in heroics..

Maybe he is just a **** healer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Your gear looks good enough for naxx10 tbh, that healer was probably just a bit **** or really used to healing people in much better gear.

Advertisement