Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The ultimate 80s metal song, the ultimate 80s solo.... FACT!!! Check it out...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Thanks for posting,i'd actually forgotten that ever existed. Great stuff:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Numina

When I saw the thread title I thought "Great, another one of these 'it's not fact, it's opinion' threads where only some agree, and others post what they think is the best."

But I watched the video, and yeah, I can't argue, that pretty much was the ultimate 80's metal song.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Ultimate 80s metal song... which means its...pretty awful.

My god, are they all ACTUALLY different singers?! I know the video shows them as being different, but surely its just one guy tracking the vocals.

If not, then the stagnant nature of that 80s dungeons and dragons style metal is quite frankly startling. There is NO distinction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

My god, are they all ACTUALLY different singers?!

You cant tell the difference between Ronnie James Dio, Don Dokken or Geoff Tate? :confused:

Anyway fantastic stuff!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Been ages since I've heard this, absolute quality :D

adox wrote: »
    You cant tell the difference between Ronnie James Dio, Don Dokken or Geoff Tate? :confused:

It's shocking alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭population

Sweet Jesus

This is amazing!!!

What was the song in aid of??????

:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭dasdog

Thanks for posting this I'd completely forgotten about it. I remember liking the guitar solos and been pretty envious of some of the outstanding techniques. Just watched "the making of" part and I never realised Belfast's Vivian Campbell was involved. Very much a mainstream mid 80's sound but still.
    population wrote: »
    Sweet Jesus

This is amazing!!!

What was the song in aid of??????

:p

It was the metal/hard rock answer to Band Aid..proceeds going to Africa/Ethiopa I believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

dasdog wrote: »
    Just watched "the making of" part and I never realised Belfast's Vivian Campbell was involved. Very much a mainstream mid 80's sound but still.

He was playing guitar in Dio at the time and RJD was heavily involved in the project.

I have this on VHS tape somewhere.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭population

Can you imagine the Aid agencies reactions to the song!!!

Errrrr thats great. It is a bit screechy though........

Is there any way of taking out the screechy bits, oh and if you could do something about the fiddly guitar parts aswell that would be super

• Advertisement

Im not trying to be funny...but no I actually can't.

I swear to god, If I hadn't of being watching the video, i would not have known.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭Cathy666

Awesome song, love it :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

If not, then the stagnant nature of that 80s dungeons and dragons style metal is quite frankly startling. There is NO distinction.

That it goes to show the quality of singersthen - they can actually adapt there voices for songs - as apart from the gob****es singing in metal these days.
    And common, no need for this dungeons and dragons comment- most of those bands had very small links to like epic metal.

haha ah i didnt mean that dungeons and dragons badly.. dont mind fantasy in metal.

and im not saying they were BAD singers...just VERY alike.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

haha ah i didnt mean that dungeons and dragons badly.. dont mind fantasy in metal.

and im not saying they were BAD singers...just VERY alike.

Maybe your right - from my point of view though I'd look at them as singers who by and large, have fairly good ranges - and new what key to sing in, so when they all get together they sing it right :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

Anyway fantastic stuff!

You what?

AARAgh Jaysus man you need a new stereo.....:D

There's three names the young 'uns had to look up!!!!!!

oh no, they are all mad talented... i just thought in the song they were remarkably alike vocally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭dasdog

He was playing guitar in Dio at the time and RJD was heavily involved in the project.

I have this on VHS tape somewhere.:D

I think I still have the EP of it at home on vinyl which also featured an old Hendrix song. Remember my cousins telling me (I would have been 11 or 12) all about how good Hendrix was and I thought his song was really tame. A few years later I saw the error of my ignorance.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Thornography

cant believe Iv never heard of this before now, being the MASSIVE 80'srock/metal fan that I am,

I cant argue, It definatly the greatest :)

but i do SLIGHTY agree that sometimes (Only sometimes) its hard enough to distinguish whos singing what.

10/10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

All guitar solo's should be that long and in a perfect world they would be!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Always thought this was pretty cool. George Lynch in his tiny shirt doing his "wrestling cobras" guitar playing poses is always amusing

The singers do sound pretty distinctive to me. Tate, Halford and Dio sound very different within their own bands at least.

edit: oh cool! never knew Dave Meniketti from Y&T did vocals. how did I miss that one..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,156 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Have to say, first thing I thought when I heard the song was that the majority of the singers sounded very similar. I mean if it wasn't for the video it would have taken me a while to figure out each line was being sung by different people.

Always thought this was pretty cool. George Lynch in his tiny shirt doing his "wrestling cobras" guitar playing poses is always amusing

The singers do sound pretty distinctive to me. Tate, Halford and Dio sound very different within their own bands at least.

edit: oh cool! never knew Dave Meniketti from Y&T did vocals. how did I miss that one..

yeah in their own bands..there is a distinction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

You can fairly easily tell when it switches vocalists in fairness.. maybe the quality of the video is crap or something :P

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭PattheMetaller

Ah the memories; brilliant. Was discussing that song a few months back with the mates. Remember playing air-guitar on a Tee-square to it:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭artvandulet

Holy Sh1t this rocks!;)
    That solo goes on for days.
    Every singer sounds the same. Could be the one singer if you close your eyes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Why can't modern bands have solo's like them :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Niceone012002

I have the single here in my collection...it was class at the time and still is. Adrian Smith and Dave Murray playing the harmonies....brill. Malmsteen, Craig Goldie, Viv Cambell....just great stuff and brought back all the memories.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

I have this video in its entirety recorded off MT USA on VHS somewhere!! Some day I must transfer it to PC or DVD before it gets lost forever. A real who's who of the pre-grunge metal scene.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Great track in all its retro-tastic metalness.

Speaking of Charridy Metal

Advertisement