Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enda Kenny to remain leader of FG much longer?

Options
  • 31-03-2009 6:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭

RICHARD Bruton's claim that Fine Gael is 100pc behind Enda Kenny was privately disputed by a number of Fine Gael TDs yesterday.

Mr Kenny is embroiled in a blazing row with dissident TDs over his leadership style.

With tensions still high after details of the explosive scenes emerged, the party leader meets with his TDs and Senators tonight.

Mr Kenny is refusing to say if he has resolved the clash with Lucinda Creighton and Ulick Burke that has overshadowed the party's solid opinion poll result.

After an argument with Mr Kenny, Ms Creighton accused him of being "patronising" and stormed out of a meeting a week ago.

Mr Kenny also delivered a coarse "f***ing" rebuke to Mr Burke over his complaint about the way he was informed about the arrival of PD leader Ciaran Cannon into the party.

But Mr Bruton, the party's deputy leader, said there was a "frank discussion" but this was a healthy sign. He said people sometimes get impatient.

"He has the 100pc backing of the party. But no-one is immune from criticism and that is why the parliamentary party is there," he said.

Leadership

But several TDs contradicted this account and said Mr Kenny's performances as leader were no longer being excused and his leadership was being discussed.

"The bottom line is the grassroots Fine Gael members know the game is up. The feeling of the party supporters is he should go. They have moved on to who should take over.

"Fianna Fail's misfortune on the economy has become Enda's misfortune because people can see he doesn't have the grasp of it," a party source said.

Mr Burke, the long-serving Galway TD, declined to say if peace had been made with his leader.

"Anything that happens in the parliamentary party, stays in the parliamentary party. There was no problem with the Ciaran Cannon thing. I said what I had to say and I left it within the parliamentary party," he said.

It is understood Mr Burke objected to being told about the recruitment of Mr Cannon, who is in the same Galway East constituency, via text message.

On the plus side for Fine Gael, the party last night recruited another former PD star into its ranks. Sirena Campbell, the PD general election candidate in Meath East, will be running for Fine Gael for Meath County Council.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/the-game-is-up-for-kenny-despite-claim-of-complete-support-1692014.html

I don't particularly like him, but at least he's honest. The sad truth is I don't think he would do a good job as Taoiseach, and given how FF have fallen and FG haven't capitalised, I would understand any misgivings anyone in the party might have.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

zootroid wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/the-game-is-up-for-kenny-despite-claim-of-complete-support-1692014.html

I don't particularly like him, but at least he's honest. The sad truth is I don't think he would do a good job as Taoiseach, and given how FF have fallen and FG haven't capitalised, I would understand any misgivings anyone in the party might have.

I wonder if one of the TDs complaining about the leader is that muppet Deasy ?
    Creighton stormed out of a meeting in a huff.
    Jeeze she will need a thicker skin than that if she is to last in politics.

I love the way that Kenny is pillored that he is not tough enough and then when he gives some of his party members a tongue lashing he is seen as loosing control.
    Perhaps someone could tell us what goes on at FF parliamentary meetings.
    I can just see Biffo being all sweetness and light, hugging the deputies.
    I couldn't see him telling anyone to f*** off :rolleyes:

I am surprised the Indo didn't have that other fine journalist of their stable, Harris, commenting on this :rolleyes:

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Kenny's okay as person, but has zero charisma as a leader. It would really help him if he changed his facial expression or pitch of voice from time to time - he seems to be the Pat Kenny of politicians. Another thing that put me off him personally, not politically, was when he was on the Late Late debating, he did that look that country people do, head turned almost 90% of the way in the other directions with his eyes facing the person he was talking to you. That's not how you engage people socially.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

As always one needs to look at the messenger and I am less and less convinced that Fionnan Sheahan has anything insightful to say. As for the story well it sounds like a turf war. Remember the local FF shenanigans in Mayo about Bev Flynn.

That said there appears to be a credibility issue with Kenny. He is competent, but not brilliant and has managed to haul them back from the dismal 2002 performance to a place where they were not that far off forming the next government. The trouble is the man who would replace him is the man that we would want in Finance, Richard Bruton. I suspect that the next FG election campaign will be built more around the team, and they've got some talented people, a lot more than FF IMO, and some good credible policies and plans rather than the cult of personality of the leader.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭git_ireland

I agree, I met Enda at an event and he was a nice warm welcoming guy. When he is on T.V. or Radio he sounds dull and monotonous.
    Cant visualize him as a real leader.
    Bearing that in mind who do you guys think would be a credible candidate.
    I must say I have been interested in Richard Bruton anytime I have heard him speak. The guy seems to make sense and his background in Economics should be an added bonus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

kenny is not leadership material , neither is biffo but the bar is never as high for a fianna fail leader

richard bruton as excellent as he is , doesnt strike me as the leader type either , as someone said about him before , the man is a monk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

is_that_so wrote: »
    As always one needs to look at the messenger and I am less and less convinced that Fionnan Sheahan has anything insightful to say. As for the story well it sounds like a turf war. Remember the local FF shenanigans in Mayo about Bev Flynn.

That said there appears to be a credibility issue with Kenny. He is competent, but not brilliant and has managed to haul them back from the dismal 2002 performance to a place where they were not that far off forming the next government. The trouble is the man who would replace him is the man that we would want in Finance, Richard Bruton. I suspect that the next FG election campaign will be built more around the team, and they've got some talented people, a lot more than FF IMO, and some good credible policies and plans rather than the cult of personality of the leader.

I agree with most of what you say but FG's policies are appalling IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

is_that_so wrote: »
    I suspect that the next FG election campaign will be built more around the team, and they've got some talented people, a lot more than FF IMO, and some good credible policies and plans rather than the cult of personality of the leader.

I agree, and that's fine for people who have an interest in politics. But there's a hell of a lot of people who don't, and will base their vote on the cult personality of the leader.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I agree with most of what you say but FG's policies are appalling IMO.

I didn't say that they had them but I do believe that they will need to build their campaign around some credible policies and plans.
    ned78 wrote: »
    I agree, and that's fine for people who have an interest in politics. But there's a hell of a lot of people who don't, and will base their vote on the cult personality of the leader.

True but it depends on how you spin it. Bertie was all about personality. People do not vote for the Greens because of Gormley. In fact if he were in charge of FG the same argument would apply. If FG can get enough of its talent out there successfully plugging their suitability for government then Kenny becomes less of a liability. "The people" have foolishly allowed themselves to be conned twice and all FG need to do is show that they know what to do for the next five years and they're in. But that's the hard part and part of the reason IMO that Kenny gets such a lot of bad press.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Soldie

Is charisma that important to people? I think Fine Gael's failings can be explained by the fact that they're virtually a clone of Fianna Fáil - until they offer some real opposition I can't see them gaining much traction with Enda Kenny or otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭git_ireland

irish_bob wrote: »
    richard bruton as excellent as he is , doesnt strike me as the leader type either , as someone said about him before , the man is a monk

Point taken but who else in FG has the head to deal with the situation as it lies. I honestly cant see past Richard.

Any takers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Personally I feel as the constituency with one of the highest FG votes the leadership should stay with us ;)

There is always Michael Ring, if you want someone that doesn't speak in monotones, he roars in them :D
    Also stands up for the oppressed and thinks outside the box, see his stance on taxes on smoking :D
    And then there is JohnO who has a very good record in management, two All Irelands with Galway and a Connacht title with Leitrim, proving he can work almost miracles with poor resources.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Soldie wrote: »
    Is charisma that important to people? I think Fine Gael's failings can be explained by the fact that they're virtually a clone of Fianna Fáil - until they offer some real opposition I can't see them gaining much traction with Enda Kenny or otherwise.

I suppose it depends on how you interpret charisma. Usually charisma is defined as, having a quality of leadership, something people will have faith in and look up to. Enda, nice, capable guy he may be, does not project this quality.
    It has to be said, not many FF leaders have had it either but Enda, unfortunately for him, does not have the benefit of an ovine, tunnel visioned electorate to depend on.
    I have watched on several occasions as he made speeches in the Dáil that had content enough to floor Cowen, Lenihan, Coughlan but he just hadn't got the killer instinct, the emphasis where it was needed. When he did bang the table or make a gesture it was in the wrong place or at the wrong time and looked contrived.
    While these are probably just cosmetic failings I'm convinced that people's perceptions of their leaders' qualities, as much as those qualities themselves, are what tips the balance when choosing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

FG needs a Biffo type personality, high on the " i ". Enda is too polite and laidback thats the problem IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

he must go before a sex scandal breaks....

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭tomcosgrave

While I am not an FG supporter at all, it is important to point out that Fionan Sheahan could be accused of having a bias - his wife is a Fianna Fáíl candidate in the upcoming elections.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Kenny's communication abilities are poor in my opinion. While a lot of the time he has a fairly decent Leaders question to get at Cowen he seems to stagger and stutter his way through it. And I never got that finger pointing think he does either. As the main representative of the opposition this is not a quality to be lacking in as it is a poor reflection on the party as a whole.

As far leader FG are possibly lacking in alternatives. Bruton is the only alternative I can see with perhaps Coveney as a distant second.

However as there seems to be a total dislike for Kenny by Cowen, I'd leave him there just to get on Biffo's nerves. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Barname wrote: »
    he must go before a sex scandal breaks....

What! Do you think he might be sh***ing Coughlan and that's why he's going easy? Interesting idea, or Biffo? even more interesting. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Every argument can be nailed if ya use an appropriate boxing analogy......!!!

Fianna Fail are like Mike Tyson; big, established, mean, self-serving, dirty fighters with a constant criminal undertone.

Fianna Gael are like a freshly knocked out opponent - they have gloves on, are in the ring, have some support - but they aint a threat to anybody and the ref. has stopped counting.....

What most people realise is that Enda Kenny couldn't even land the sucker punch on Bertie Ahern when he was staggering around the ring, dazed and confused and a target any fool could have finished off........

- If he doesn't fcuk off soon there will be nothing left.

Advertisement